Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Light Out of Darkness  by shirebound

Chapter Note:  My thanks to Karri and Nilmandra, from the Stories of Arda discussion group, for sharing their thoughts on whether the Witch-king of Angmar could have been one of Aragorn’s ancestors; and to Karri and Elena Tiriel, for helping me to locate quotes about Andúril.

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course. The characters don’t belong to me, I just get to think about them day and night.

___________________________

LIGHT OUT OF DARKNESS

Chapter 2 -- The Pelennor Fields, May 7

Aragorn threw back his cloak.  The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shown like a sudden flame as he swept it outThe Two Towers, ‘The Riders of Rohan’

 

 

In the weeks since the battle, and the coming of the King, the citizenry of Minas Tirith had labored long to clear the once-fertile Pelennor Fields of weaponry and gear of war.  Much had been accomplished; however, some things remained yet untouched, pending the King’s word.

One day remained before Éomer, Éowyn, and their entourage returned to Rohan, there to prepare for the funeral of their uncle.  Before they departed, King Elessar had arranged for a tour of the battlefield outside the partially-repaired Gates.  The large group rode slowly, so that all could honor those now at rest in the mounds that dotted the land.  So many had fallen here, including Halbarad of the Dúnedain, whose death the King mourned greatly.

As ponies had not yet been procured for the hobbits, each sat astride a great horse, held securely by the rider seated behind them.  Frodo, riding with the King, was greatly interested in all he saw -- but as time went on, his eyes kept straying, again and again, to something in the distance that the party did not approach.

“I am sorry, Frodo,” Aragorn said gently.  “I wasn’t thinking.  Shall I have someone escort you back?”

“Is he indeed dead?” Frodo asked.

“Yes,” Aragorn said firmly.  “Do you need to see?  To be certain?”  Frodo twisted around and met the man’s gaze, the blue eyes haunted, and nodded.

“Come, then.”  Aragorn bade Éomer to lead the group in his absence, and rode to the spot that had so captured Frodo’s attention.  Dismounting, he lifted Frodo down and they entered the low tent.  On the ground before them lay, tumbled and empty, a few pieces of massive armor -- gloves and hauberk -- and, half trampled in the mud, a black cloak and ancient crown could be seen.

“When I saw him at Weathertop,” Frodo said quietly, “truly saw him, he wore a crown not unlike this one.”

“Yes,” Aragorn nodded.  “It is said that three of the Nazgûl were Númenoreans who grew to hate their kindred and the Eldar; and six were rumored to be ancient but powerful kings of Middle-earth.”

Frodo looked up at the Man.  “A king.  Was he… one of your ancestors?”

“I have thought long on this very question,” Aragorn replied, “but I do not know.  The individual identities and names of the Dark Lord’s servants are lost to time.”

“How could he be killed?” Frodo asked suddenly.  “He was not truly alive.”

“That is another very good question,” Aragorn said slowly.  “Gandalf believes that the spell that gave wraiths the ability to take form, and use weaponry, was weakened by the blade that Merry wielded.  The weapons you found in the barrows were forged long ago by the foes of the Dark Lord and his servants.  Those blades held a power of their own -- as you know, they never rusted nor became dull.  In all these years, whatever power they held was strong and true, and were felt by this fell servant.  Together, Merry and Éowyn were able to defeat him.”  He motioned to something lying nearby in the grass: a small hilt, all that remained of Merry’s sword.  Frodo knelt and took it in his hands.  He held it quietly for a moment before slipping it into his belt.  Merry’s family would know of their son’s deeds.

“Why did he wear gear of war, when he believed he could not be killed?” he asked.

“To intimidate, and instill even greater fear,” Aragorn said grimly.

Frodo frowned as a strange thought came to him.  To Aragorn’s surprise, the hobbit reached for one of the massive, heavily-armored gloves.  He upended it, and shook.  When nothing came out, he quickly moved to the right side of the empty hauberk and lifted the other glove.

“Frodo, what are you---”  Aragorn’s words died in his throat as a blackened, twisted chunk of metal fell from the inside of the glove.  A ring.  One of the Nine.

Whatever color the gem had been, when set in the ring, could no longer be perceived -- as it, too, had been burnt and cracked in the destruction of the source of its power.

Frodo stood, breathing heavily, staring at the ring as it lay upon the grass at his feet.  Dark memories rose, grew, threatened to overwhelm him -- until a sudden, fierce light filled the tent, pushing back the shadows.

Aragorn had  drawn Andúril from its sheath, and Frodo stared at the blade in awe.  He had only seen Andúril used twice -- against the Wargs at the foot of Caradhras, and in Moria -- but both times had been a blur of battle and fear, and he had not truly seen or felt the majesty of the mighty sword of Elendil before this moment.  It seemed to shine on its own, radiating power and strength.

“Of what metal is this made?” Frodo asked.

“I do not know,” Aragorn said regretfully.  “The Dwarves of the First Age kept their secrets well.”

“As do the Dwarves of the Third Age,” Frodo said with a grin.

“Indeed,” Aragorn laughed.

Frodo’s smile faded as he suddenly remembered with whom he stood.  This blazing sword out of legend rested in the hand of... his king.

“Frodo...” Aragorn rested a gentle hand on the hobbit’s shoulder.  “What is it?”

Frodo bit his lip.  “You must think hobbits to be without respect or manners.  I should be on my knees before you.”  He cast his eyes down.  “The king has returned,” he whispered in awe.

“Frodo,” Aragorn said softly.  “I am Strider of the North, still -- and always will be.”  He smiled.  “I have asked you to bow to no one.  Must I make it an order?”

Frodo sighed deeply, then smiled back.  “No.”  He looked back at the sword.  “Why did you draw that?”

“You will see.”  Kneeling on the ground, Aragorn picked up the ring and placed it on a flat stone.  Then he grasped the hilt of his mighty sword with both hands, the glittering blade pointed upwards.

“Help me.  We must both do this.”

Frodo, not understanding, joined his small hands around the hilt as well -- becoming the only person, save Aragorn, to have touched Andúril since its reforging.

“Now!” Aragorn said firmly, and he brought the hilt down hard on top of the ring.  The force of the blow reverberated through Frodo’s hands, and he watched as Aragorn lifted away the sword to reveal that the ring’s gem had been shattered into dust.

Frodo took a deep, shuddering breath, then let it out slowly.  “Thank you,” he murmured.  Aragorn rose to his feet, sheathing the blade.  Frodo took one last look at the tableau before him: all that remained of the Nazgûl had been reduced to empty metal, tattered cloth, and dust.  He smiled.

“All right, now?” Aragorn asked softly.

“Yes.”

They emerged from the tent, surprised to find the sun nearly overhead, and Éomer and the others waiting patiently nearby.  Sam, seated in front of Faramir, saw the smile on his master’s face, and relaxed.

“The hour grows late,” Aragorn said, helping Frodo to remount.  “Ready for lunch?”

“Really, Aragorn,” Frodo sighed, “there are times when hobbits think about something other than food.”

“And is this one of those times?”

Frodo grinned down at him.  “No.”

** TBC **

Aewyn:  Thank you, Aewyn.  I do love making sure that Frodo finds comfort from his wonderful friends who know him so well.  And oh, I love how you say that... “the candles chasing away the darkness in both room and thought.”

Ainu Laire:  Your enthusiasm makes me so happy!  I hope you enjoyed this “Aragorn” chapter.

angelsflame265:  I love Sam’s “simple wisdom” as well.  He just sees what needs to be done, and gets to the heart of it.  And no, I haven’t read the book you mention -- thank you for letting me know about it!

ansothehobbit:  I could just write about hobbits morning, noon, and night.  What a joy to be able to share these stories with other hobbity-folk.

Auntiemeesh:  It’s an odd concept, isn’t it?  The Quest gave Frodo purpose, but the post-Quest time might have been a bit unsettling.

Baylor:  They don’t come much better than our Sam, and that’s a fact.

clonesofconfusion:  Thank you so much.  Sam is very special, isn’t he?  There will be a subtle “tribute” to him in Chapter 3.

Connie:  Thanks, Connie.  This story is a bit “different”, but I hope each chapter is enjoyable and interesting.

cpsings4him:  Yes, our hobbits truly went through an awful time -- which is why I’m compelled to write so much comfort for them.

Danny Barefoot:  Thank you.  I hope you continue to find fresh insights in this little story.

elentari angel:  I’ll update as quickly as time permits!  I think this story will flow fairly quickly.

Elven Kitten:  I just can’t seem to stay away from that Witch-king!  At least now we all have some closure.

Elwen:  I suspect that many of us have been through that same thing -- where a formerly regimented, scheduled life suddenly changes, and we have to learn to adapt to something new.

G:  Sam’s “simple wisdom” is a true light for Frodo -- we’ll be revisiting that concept in Chapter 3.

GamgeeFest:  If anyone can help Frodo adjust to his “new life”, it’s Sam... and the rest of his wonderful friends.

Gentle Hobbit:  I just couldn’t imagine that Frodo’s life would suddenly snap back to ‘normal’ on the very first day he and Sam were awake after their ordeal.  Healing takes place on many levels.

girlofring:  Thank you.  It’s our thoughts and emotions “just beneath the surface” that are the most compelling, sometimes.

hobbitfeet13:  I am such a sucker for happy endings.  I almost always have to write one.

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  This story will be full of Light.  I’m so glad you’re enjoying it already!

Hollie:  I’m so happy that you’re so happy!

illyria-pffyffin:  Oooh, angst-and-comfort.  What else would you get from me?  *grins*

Iorhael:  Hope you enjoyed this peek at the “remains” of the Witch-king; it was an unusual subject to write about.

katieelessar:  Thank you, Katie!  I hope you continue to enjoy this.

Leia Wood:  Between the relatively dark “Mind to Mind” and the Barrow-wight story I’m planning, I just had to write something sweet!

lindahoyland:  Thank you so much.  Writing about hobbits is a true joy for me.

liptonrm:  You’re so wonderful to say that this story is like a “healing balm” -- that’s exactly what I’m hoping each chapter will be, to our sweet Frodo.

Lotrgirl11415:  Thank you!

lovethosehobbits:  Tree, knowing that my stories “fill someone with hope” fills me with utter joy.

Lyta Padfoot:  Oh yes, I agree -- dear, practical Sam is all we need when we’re confused and frightened.

Mariole:  I really needed to write something relatively gentle after “Mind to Mind”.  I’m enjoying this little story so much, and it’s wonderful to know that you are, too.

Maura Labingi:  Maura, you read them all?  I’m truly, deeply honored.

melilot hill:  Frodo needs and deserves as much Light as possible.  How wonderful that we can make sure he’s bathed in it!

Mewsette:  Thank you for such a lovely review.  I hope we never run out of ideas.

Periantari:  Oh, thank you for saying that I write “hobbit peacefulness” well.  They deserve all the peacefulness they can get.

Quiet Infinity:  I’ve seen a few fics where Sam or Frodo had post-Quest spider anxiety, but I probably won’t be writing one -- I have a bit of spider anxiety myself!

Sandy K:  I can’t bear the thought of anxious-Frodo without someone there to reassure him!

Shireling:  You’re so right about Sam’s “light” -- you’ve anticipated Chapter 3!

Sigil Galen:  I agree that “light” and “water” are woven throughout Prof. Tolkien’s tale, and it’s fun to explore one of them more thoroughly.  (If you haven’t read it, Gentle Hobbit’s lovely “A Blessing of Water” at Fanfiction.net and Stories of Arda is a real gem.)

Tathar:  I will only ascend the throne of Hobbit-Cuteness if I can take all my favorite cuddly authors with me!  And ah yes, everyone should have a Sam.

The Lazy Fairy:  Wow, thanks.  And... fan art!  Oooh, if you’re ever inspired to make some, please let me know about it!

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List