Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Light Out of Darkness  by shirebound

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course. The characters don’t belong to me, I just get to think about them day and night.

___________________________

LIGHT OUT OF DARKNESS

Chapter 3 -- Minas Tirith, July 18

Thus in Valinor twice every day there came a gentle hour of softer light when both trees were faint and their gold and silver beams were mingled.  The Silmarillion, ‘Of the Beginning of Days’


Gandalf entered the courtyard, deserted except for one hobbit standing motionless beside the White Tree.  A few bird calls punctuated the early evening, but there was no other sound save that of the fountain splashing softly, the beautiful young tree sprinkled gently with its waters.

“Am I disturbing you, Frodo?”

“Not at all.”  Frodo turned to the wizard with a smile.  “The crowds are so thick during the day, and even at night, that this is nearly the only time it’s quiet here.”  He breathed in the delicate fragrance of the tree’s blossoms.  “Everyone wants to come here as often as possible; the tree grows and changes by the day.”

“So it does,” the wizard agreed.

“The Elves come and sing to it,” Frodo told him.  “Even the Queen is often here, with her father or brothers.  The tree sometimes sways and whispers when they sing.”

“I had heard that you spend a great deal of time here,” Gandalf said.  “Do the crowds not bother you?”

“It was difficult at first,” Frodo admitted.  “It has been a long time since I have been surrounded by so many people; and never by so many who want to speak with me, or... or whisper about me.  I suppose that, to most, hobbits are as legendary as Elves.”

Gandalf nodded, but said nothing.  He had come to the courtyard upon hearing that the Ring-bearer was alone.  He hoped that Frodo was unaware of the fact that he was closely -- but discreetly -- watched, as were the other three hobbits.  It was common knowledge that the King valued the pheriannath over gold and jewels, and an unscrupulous person might have been tempted to take advantage of such an opportunity.  Thankfully, there had been no incidents.

“We leave for Rohan tomorrow,” Frodo said, “and then the journey home, at last.  Are you coming with us?”

The wizard smiled and put his arm around the small shoulders.  “I will see Théoden put to his rest, then continue north with you -- at least as far as Rivendell.  My time of departure from these shores grows near, but there is time yet.”

“I have something to show you.”  Frodo drew the star-glass from his pocket, its light shining through his fingers.  “Look at this, Gandalf,” he said in a hushed, reverent tone.  “I discovered this just yesterday evening.”  To the wizard’s surprise, Frodo knelt and placed the glass into the fountain, letting it sink several inches to the bottom.

“Watch,” Frodo whispered, stepping back.  The waters of the fountain suddenly blazed forth, the star-essence that Galadriel had caught in the charmed waters of Lórien sending out shimmering waves of light -- and enveloping the tree in a radiance that caused Frodo to shield his eyes.  Its leaves, dark green above and silver beneath, reflected the light in such a way that the entire tree seemed to sparkle and glow.

“The Two Trees in their glory cannot ever be recreated,” Gandalf said.  “Perhaps this is as close as mortal eyes will ever come to understanding what was lost.”

“And what has been regained,” Frodo smiled.  “The sight of this brings me such joy.”

“How did you think to place the phial in water?” the wizard asked curiously.

“It was something Pippin said.  We were talking about trolls, which led our discussion to Moria.  Pippin said it was a shame I didn’t have the star-glass when that dreadful, many-armed creature dragged me under the lake, or else I could have pulled it out and blinded him.”  Frodo sighed.  “Even if I had been in possession of the phial then, I doubt I would have thought of using it at the time.”

Gandalf chuckled.  “It cannot ever be said of Pippin that he lacks imagination.”

“Look how the tree seems to gather up the light and reflect it back,” Frodo said in awe.

“The light of the Silmaril that sails through the night skies with Eärendil is caught in your phial,” the wizard said quietly.  “The Silmarils were created out of the blended light of the Two Trees, of which this tree is a descendant.  Light recognizes Light.”

After a few minutes, Frodo bent to retrieve the star-glass and held it gently.  “The Lady said that this would be a light for me in dark places.”

“And so it was.”

“Perhaps I should have let Sméagol see it,” Frodo said wistfully.  “He had hidden for so long from the light of day, he no longer appreciated even the stars as they shone in the night.”

“He could not have borne it, Frodo,” Gandalf reminded the hobbit.  “Things of Elvish craft burned him as fire.”

“Yes,” Frodo admitted.  “But it might have---”

“Frodo,” the wizard said gravely, “you could not save Gollum.  I could not save Saruman.  Neither his oath to the Ring-bearer nor the presence of the long-lost king could save Boromir.”  He motioned to the tree.  “What we were able to preserve, we did.  We accomplished our tasks as best we could, and generations will long remember what was saved, not what was lost.”

“Mr. Frodo?” came a voice from the entrance of the courtyard.  “Supper is bein’ served.”

“I’ll be along in a moment, Sam.”  Frodo turned to his friend with a smile, and Sam grinned and left.

“Much more would have been lost without Sam,” Frodo murmured.  “The star-glass wasn’t the only source of light for me, or even the brightest.”

“Sam saw you as a light, Frodo,” Gandalf remarked.  “Did he ever tell you?”

Frodo nodded.  “I cannot speak to that, Gandalf.  I only know that no hobbit’s ever been in darker places, or had a more steadfast friend to see him through.”

“When all other lights go out…” Gandalf quoted.

“They didn’t all go out.  Not all.”  Frodo looked up at the wizard.  “Are you coming to supper?”

“Soon.”

Gandalf watched Frodo leave the courtyard, then he turned back to the tree.  He reached out to touch one shimmering leaf and smiled, thinking of Frodo and Sam.

“Light recognizes Light,” he murmured.

** TBC **

 

Ainu Laire:  I love exploring teensy details like, “Whatever happened to the Witch-king’s ring?”  My birthday is March 28, and my favorite hobbit is Frodo-and-Sam.  From my first reading of the books, 25 years ago, to now, both Frodo and Sam have been my favorites.

angelsflame265:  As far as I know, the only thing we know about the appearance of the Nine rings is from Saruman’s words in FOTR: “The Nine, the Seven, and the Three ... had each their proper gem.”

Azla:  I don’t have it all planned out yet, but I can tell you that a Frodo-Pippin chapter will definitely be part of this story.  (BTW, I’ve e-mailed you several times to thank you for reviews for other stories, but the e-mails always bounce back.  Does ff.net show your correct e-mail address?)

Baylor:  My almost compulsive need to tie up loose ends and tidy up details (especially at the office) comes in handy when writing fanfiction!  I’m never happier than when I can find some overlooked detail (like the Witch-king’s ring) and play around with it.

Connie:  I’m not sure why I need to give Frodo closure in so many ways -- but I do!  Thank you for continuing to enjoy my strange ideas.

Coriandra:  I’m so happy you’re enjoying this story.  Frodo and Sam visiting the wounded is an idea I might write about, sometime in the future.  And yes, shattering the ring (or at least the gem through which power would have been focused) was a symbolic act.  We all need them, once in a while!

cpsings4him:  Frodo is still Frodo, and Strider is still Strider.  It says a lot for both of them that they’re content to be so.

Cuthalion: Thank you so much!  Any time I can slip humor into the drama, I usually can't resist.

Elanor1013:  I love finding ways to give Frodo (or other characters) closure.  If only we could all achieve closure in every part of our own lives.

Elven Kitten:  I like your imagination!

Elwen:  Oh Elwen, thank you.  If I fill any niche at all in this wonderful fandom, perhaps it’s finding the tiny, often-forgotten details and shining a light on them so we never run out of fun things to write about.  What an incredible wealth of storytelling is still ahead for all of us.

esamen:  I was hoping that the appearance of the Witch-king’s ring would be a surprise, and I’m so relieved that it really was.

Firnsarnien:  Chapter 2 was originally going to be a short story all on its own until I found it a place within this story.  It’s such fun to peel away the layers of the Trilogy to uncover the tiny, often-forgotten details.

Fliewatuet:  A story in this format is something different for me, and I’m glad to hear that you consider it “unusual but inventive”.  It certainly is a challenge, and lots of fun.

G:  Thank you so much.  It’s challenging to work out how the concept of “light” can be matched to certain characters.

GamgeeFest:  If Sauron took back the Nine, I don’t remember reading about it.  I suspect that, if he had, he would have enslaved more Ringwraiths than the ones we hear about.

Gentle Hobbit:  I’m so happy you highlighted that part about Frodo being the only person besides Aragorn to have permission to touch Andúril -- it seemed an additional way to show how much Aragorn honored him.

girlofring:  What a lovely thing to say.  Thank you.

hobbitfeet13:  Thank you for your lovely words.  What you might have been sensing about Chapter 2 is the fact that it was originally written to stand on its own, as a short story.  I was happy to find a place for it within this larger story, but you’re absolutely correct -- the style of that particular chapter will probably stand out as different from the others.  Very perceptive!  And... don’t blame me for the hobbits’ love of food, blame the Professor!  In chapter 1 of both The Hobbit and FOTR, it’s emphasized over and over how much attention and energy hobbits spend thinking about (and eating) food.  Ah, hobbits...

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  I’m so glad Chapter 2 left you laughing instead of crying!

katieelessar:  Thanks, Katie.  I like it when people work together to accomplish something.  Maybe that why I love LOTR so much!

Laughing Half Elf:  Thank you.  I’m happy you’re enjoying the story.

Lindelea:  The recipients of the Nine rings are part-canon, part-speculation.  The Silmarillion states, “Yet Sauron was ever guileful, and it is said that among those whom he ensnared with the Nine Rings three were great lords of Númenorean race.”  Also, “Men proved easier to ensnare.  Those who used the Nine Rings became mighty in their day, kings, sorcerers, and warriors of old.  They obtained glory and great wealth, yet it turned to their undoing.”  If at least three of the Ringwraiths were originally ‘lords of Númenorean race’, there’s a chance that at least one of them could have been of Elros’ line -- and one of Aragorn’s ancestors.

liptonrm:  That’s it, exactly -- words are very powerful, but sometimes it’s necessary to take action so that we have complete closure.

lovethosehobbits:  I do love those tangents!  What a joy to find others who love them as well.

Maura Labingi:  I really do feel a need to dig up the unresolved details and give myself (and others, if they enjoy it) closure.  Thinking about the Witch-king’s ring was fun to figure out.

maya_ar:  Thank you, Maya.  I’m very glad you’re enjoying these.

Meldewen Ilce:  Oh, I love giving folks things to think about!  What a joy to be able to share my ideas and observations with fellow fans.

melilot hill:  I really missed Aragorn when I was writing “Mind to Mind”, and couldn’t wait to bring him back into Frodo’s life -- even for one chapter!

Nilmandra:  I really like how you say that -- “Aragorn is very kingly here, in that unassuming down to earth ranger way of his.”  He really is, right down to the last of his dialogue in ROTK.  And -- what did happen to the Nine rings (or at least the Witch-king’s) when Sauron was destroyed?  I hope other authors will write their own “take” on it.

Pearl Took:  Thank you so much, Pearl.

pebbles66:  I’m glad you’re enjoying the story, pebbles!

San Antonio Rose:  So glad you’re enjoying this series!  I do love writing teasing/banter between the Ring-bearer and the King -- who are still Frodo and Strider, to themselves and to each other.

Tathar:  It’s such a pleasure to be able to give Frodo ‘closure’ with some of the frightening things that have happened to him.  He deserves all the peace he can get.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List