Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Dear Bandobras  by Le Rouret

Galás , Seneschal of Lord Legolas, Prince of Eryn Lasgalen, Lord of Dol Galenehtar,

To Prince Faramir, Lord of Emyn Arnen, Last Steward of Gondor, Beloved Friend and Companion of my Lord,

Greetings,

I sent to you this missive, my Lord, for we are turned upon our heads here; so deep lie the drifts hereabout one would assume even Wood-Elves could not lose their guests but we appear to be missing two – rather important ones, not beloved perhaps but significant nonetheless.  As Lord Legolas has gone to Minas Tirith to meet with Imrahil there, and did leave me instructions to the housing and well-being of the visitors ensconced (some say entrenched) here, and as I have failed him in that Lady Laustairë and her maid Nardanë have somehow vanished, I appeal to you for aid, that with your Rangers and Meivel's scouts we might soon ascertain their whereabouts.

As you know the social atmosphere surrounding Lady Laustairë's rooms has been somewhat constrained of late (now that is an understatement if I do say so myself), with even Nardanë refusing at times to sit with her; and as the lady leaves not her rooms we have not seen her for some weeks.  Nardanë however has run to and fro, seeing to her meals and sundry other comforts by herself; Hirilcúllas offered to aid her but she refused, saying Laustairë preferred no one's company save her own, and even then rarely.  Well they according to the passers-by quarrel quite a bit, and yesterday quarreled a bit more than is usual; after this an amazing thing occurred, Laustairë leaving her rooms, though in such a fit of pique and so far gone in rage none dared accost her; she ran through the halls down to the stables, where she begged and bullied Tyarmayél to give to her a horse; though she did attempt to dissuade the lady Laustairë would not be gainsaid, and tacking up the beast herself did ride off into the valley, saying to Tyarmayél if no ship would come from Mithlond for her she must needs seek a way home herself.  Now as you know (since you are not lacking eyes nor ears and live as we do in Ithilien) it has done naught but snow upon us for a month unending, and 'twas no different yesterday; by the time Tyarmayél found an Elf of adequate rank Laustairë had quite vanished into the thickly-falling flakes, the horse's hoof-prints obscured by fresh fall.  Then they did seek out Nardanë, who with an expressive roll of her eyes did grudgingly agree to go after her; Tyarmayél offered her assistance but Nardanë refused it, saying as it was her doing Laustairë was so angry the responsibility to fetch her back (her words as I recall were "to recall this idiot") from the snow was her own, so after bundling her up in thick fur robes, and providing her with additional ones for her recalcitrant mistress, she rode off into the mists of the flakes, until she was gone as well.

Now the temperature is dropping hourly, and the snow falls ever thicker, accompanied by heavy winds which howl about us like the cries of wolves, and they are not returned, though we have sent out many scouts and search parties after them.  There is no sign of their passage, and as the trees are asleep it is no use asking them; the weather worsens and we are becoming concerned.  To be sure, Elves may bear greater extremes in nature's wrath than others but the storm that brews is not slacking nor in my opinion shall it do so; our ears are stoppered by the stifling thickness of white and numbed by the shrieking winds, and we are thwarted.  My Lord Faramir, will you aid us?  With more men upon horses we might find them the sooner; it is strange to me that they should so far be unfound, for why should they go so far afield in such weather?  And as my Lord returns in two days' time I should not like to greet him with the news that I have lost two of his guests, and those the kin of Círdan of Mithlond.

Reply forthwith to this missive, I pray you, and come to our aid!  It is early yet to panic but we are doing a fair job of it so far.

Your servant,

Galás of Doriath  





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List