Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Dear Bandobras  by Le Rouret

Galás of Doriath, Seneschal of Dol Galenehtar, Ithilien,

To King Éomer Son of Éomund, Elf- and Dwarf-Friend, Rohan,

Greetings.

We did receive your letter today, and were filled with consternation and sorrow; these women are we are certain Laustairë and Nardanë of Mithlond, my Lord's former betrothed and her lady's maid.  They rode off ten days ago and though many scouts both Elf and Man have searched for them no sign of them did we find; that your men came across them as far as Rohan seems to tell us they did attempt the arduous journey to Mithlond alone. 

My Lord thanks you profusely for your regard in the tender care and keeping of their bodies, and has instructed me to tell you to lay them in state in lead-lined coffins (Lord Gimli he is sure will see to the proper construction thereof) to be brought back to Dol Galenehtar for proper burial.  He shall arrive in four days' time from the sending of this letter.

I need not tell you this incident has laid my Lord's spirit low within him, and beg you to treat him with all gentleness and careful courtesy when he arrives.  For myself I am sure he assumes the blame for this tragedy, and naught any may say, not even King Elessar, turns him from his surety.  I have written to his father, King Thranduil, and to Lord Círdan as well to inform them of these recent events; whether this shall sunder Mithlond and Mirkwood I know not neither do I care; for the moment my sole concern is for the heart and mood of my Lord, who within moments of reading your missive seemed to me to wither inside; he weeps not yet his face is gray and set, and I like not the look in his eyes.  Watch him carefully, your Majesty, and inform Meivel immediately if you see aught that concerns you.

I thank you for your kind attention and interest in this matter, and believe me, your Majesty, that I remain

Your Servant,

Galás of Doriath





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List