Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Dear Bandobras  by Le Rouret

Éomer son of Éomund, King of Rohan, Heir of Théoden, Elf-Friend and Protector of Dwarves, Meduseld, Rohan,

To Legolas Thranduilion, Prince of Eryn Lasgalen, Lord of Dol Galenehtar, Fell-Beast-Bane, Companion of King Wingfoot, Dol Galenehtar,

Greetings.

I send you salutations from my kingdom and from my court at Meduseld, who all of them ask to be remembered to the blithe Prince of Elves (and to his vintners of course), also from my wife Lothíriel, who begs you shall remember her in her time of need, in much the same fashion you aided my dear sister in hers.  (The leeches cannot say for certain but their guess is late Spring or early Summer; I pray you shall not think this request uncouth but come to us then, for as a mare of small frame foals a great colt is often in difficulties I fear my Lothíriel shall find herself suffering the same complaint, and would rather you were here to forestall any difficulties, if at all possible for you.)  Also I send perfunctory greetings from our dear friend Lord Gimli and his folk of Aglarond, and do give unto you tidings of his latest findings, which shall not only enrich him and his people but Rohan as well, which of course is very gratifying, and quite stifles any unschooled grumbling from some folk (I need not tell you who that may be) that the Dwarves came only to eat of our food and drink of our ale and contribute not to the Westfold.  Also Gimli tells us your betrothal has been sundered, but would not give us the tale of it; if it is not so painful a story perhaps you might give it us, for in winter are our hearths the fullest and our hearts long for tales both merry and sad.  I hope this does not mean any ill has befallen you or the maid, and that relations 'twixt your fiefdom and Mithlond be not rent; that would be ill news indeed, for I know His Majesty your Father desired the union of the two folk and hoped to achieve this through your marriage.  That this unification shall not take place is perhaps indicative more of the differences between Elf and Elf, and not (I hope) between Man and Woman, which, though they are vexing differences indeed, are not insurmountable; I may tell you in truth that the compromising thereof can be quite enjoyable.

Though I would gladly spend many pages of parchment writing my fulsome regard for you and for your people, my missive has another aim, and that a sober one.  I know not the intimate doings of your demesne nor of Queen Undómiel's folk at Minas Tirith and so am ignorant of the comings and goings of the Eldar in our land; however I regret to tell you that several of my scouts, when examining the movements of carrion-fowl upon the Onodló, came upon four bodies frozen in the snow; two were horses of yours, being large of girth and with the thick silky feathering that distinguishes them; the other two I fear to report were Elves, women the both of them, in rich but stained and tattered garb; they bore upon their forms no mark or other sign of identity save one who wore round her throat a collar of gold set with pale blue gemstones (Lothíriel says they are aquamarines).  Though heavily cloaked with fur garments they wore no other vestments suitable for the severe weather we have had hereabouts, which is colder and harsher than in your more clement lands about the Anduin, yet only the one we think froze to death; as far as my men could make out they had attempted to cross the river (it is where the Onodló meets the Snowbourne, a broad flat expanse that freezes in midwinter) and the ice, not having had sufficient time to form a proper road, broke beneath the weight of the heavy horses; the rushing black water beneath carried them some way downstream, and the leeches say the darker of the two did break her neck, and the horses' legs were broken and both were drowned; the other woman was found lying beside the first, holding the body tenderly as a mother a child against her own as though to warm her companion, yet as her clothing was soaked in water and the snow fell thickly she died as well.

I know not for what reason two such women should travel so far, with neither baggage nor proper clothing in such fierce conditions, alone with none to guide or protect them; perchance they are part of a larger party, and became separated and lost, so ending their sweet immortal lives in loneliness and privation.  Knowing not to whom to send this report, and recognizing neither woman as one of your own or as one of Queen Undómiel's, I thought to inform you, that you might perchance identify these two unfortunates, that their families and friends might be able to sorrow properly for them.  We have laid them out as best we could in an open shed guarded by two armed men, upon biers richly decorated and covered in cloth of gold, and the icy air shall see to it they decay not, that it shall be the easier for you to descry their names from their fair cold faces.  Fortunately the snow has slacked for now, allowing the King's messengers free passage, so that this letter shall reach you within some days; I hope to hear from you soon, that these two poor women shall be properly mourned, and laid to rest.

I beg of you commend me unto my Lady Sister and her noble Husband, and fare you well during the winter festivities!  That I could be with you as you suggested; however I am loath to leave my Lothíriel, and certain it is she cannot travel now.

In sorrow we are sundered, yet with hope we shall soon foregather in happiness,

Éomer King

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List