Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Dear Bandobras  by Le Rouret

Edlothiel Daughter of Ailosacathil of Cardolan, Queen of Eryn Lasgalen, From Whom Sprung Legolas Her Son, Lord of Dol Galenehtar and a Credit to His Race, Dol Galenehtar,

To Her Husband His Majesty King Thranduil Oropherion, Prince of Doriath, The Mighty Hand of Taur e-Ndaedelos, Spider-Bane, Orc-Bane, Troll-Bane, Friend of Dale and Esgaroth, Eryn Lasgalen.

My Dearest Husband,

I put pen to parchment with heavy heart, O My Beloved; I arrived but two days past and felt immediately upon alighting at Osgiliath the dearth of the ebullient joy that has ever followed our Son where he dwells.  Lord Faramir met me at the dock (a good thing that; it is very icy, moreso than even our own berths; what Yavanna thinks she is doing so covering her fields with snow and ice no one may guess) and with sober face did tell me our Legolas was far gone in sorrow and recrimination – do you remember, Beloved, how distraught was he, when the first Elf fell beneath his command?  How he beat his breast, and blamed himself, saying his culpability lay in tandem with his authority?  Well it is as we feared – only this is subtly worse; when I questioned Legolas asking why he was brought so low he only shook his head, his eyes downcast, saying he could not disclose his thoughts to me – and would not; his mind is closed to my eye, and it seems to me as though he sits alone in a dark room bereft of all hope; he has shut me out, my Husband, so that I am confounded and know not how to comfort him.  How I wish you were here!  There is new and untried pain in his countenance with which he struggles mightily, but Legolas being Legolas he is far too stubborn to share his fears with me; he was ever so, Beloved, even as a child awaked in the dark by night terrors – whether he dreamt of trolls, or of Balrogs, or even of future horrors he might meet, he would remain dumb, despite my best efforts, it was only his Ada who could unlock his tongue.  There is more to this, my Husband, than the deaths of two Elves, no matter one was his erstwhile betrothed; but what it might be I am ignorant of it.

Kaimelas fears Legolas longs anew for Valinor, saying only the comfort of the Valar might save him; it is better than other options open to him, though 'twould be a great pity indeed; for with our Son's egress would go a great company of his people with him, and Dol Galenehtar despite his work and efforts be emptied far too soon; though rather should I desire for him to seek the Sea than other routes to peace.  Yes, O my Beloved, it has gone so far; how our Son hates Death!  Ever has he railed against it, spilling his own blood for the forestalling of its shadow; yet I see that same shade upon him, though I feel him fight it with waning strength.  Were that Gimli were here, or better still his little Bandobras!  I have no comfort to give my Son; I am wordless in his presence, for the depths of his sorrow have baffled me.

Lord Círdan and sundry of his attendants are here also, and he and I spoke at length concerning what we have done to Legolas; Círdan is wise, and recognizes our Son's feelings of remorse as empty yet harmful; he has done all he can to erase Legolas' fruitless mourning, assuring him of his good favor, but still our Son sinks, though he puts on a good front; when his friends come to visit he dresses gaily and eats and drinks with all, but his smile is fixed and there is no laughter in his eyes.  Our poor, jolly, light-hearted, high-spirited Son – O my Beloved, I fear that he is Fading; there is no color in his face or light in his eye, and when I feel his spirit it is dull and cold.  The only time I have seen the slightest glimmer of pleasure in his eyes was when he sat and played with Lord Aldamir's little boys; he dandled them and tickled them and kissed them and cuddled them, and for a while my heart was lifted for he seemed almost like his old self; however when little Galen fell asleep on his shoulder and Aldamir's wife Lalanath took the babe from him, I saw his face convulse with sudden piercing sorrow, and the joy in him withdrew like a wave sinking back from the sands into the sea; his longing was almost palpable then, yet so stunted and twisted it wrenched at me anew.

I hope that Gimli and Hwindiö and Fríma are successful in their venture; our Son may rise from this crushing remorse and regret on his own, but there shall be no joy lest his little esquire comes to him.  Bandobras has been given an abundance of charm, and loves Legolas more than any other child of any other race that surrounds our Son; if any might return the pleasure of life to our Son's heart it shall be that little one, and none else.

At any rate Dol Galenehtar thrives and prospers; the hard work and fierce determination of the past ten years has borne much fruit, and our Son ought rather to be proud of his achievements; the people here are happy and content, and there are rumors that a group of our Silvan brothers from Lothlórien are preparing to leave their forests and dwell herein, for in Celeborn's absence they desire a Lord and a safe haven ere they venture to the Sea, and our Son's generosity has persuaded them.  Ever he nurtures and succors, O my Beloved!  He has poured so much of himself into the building of this fiefdom; it is no wonder there is naught left of him to endure this tragedy.

Write to me and soon, O my Beloved Husband; I speak often with King Elessar and Undómiel, and Legolas' especial friends Lord Faramir and Lady Éowyn, and all are deeply concerned for our Son's well-being; I hope that there shall not be need for it, but do you plan to come in the Spring, lest the hopes we have pinned upon a small Hobbit fail and our Son Fade.  How it hurts me to write it!  But I shall not disguise from you my concern; if at any time Legolas needed friends and family about it is now.

In sorrow we are so sundered, and in hopes we shall soon be reunited,

Your Loving Wife,

Edlothiel

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List