Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Dear Bandobras  by Le Rouret

Legolas Thranduilion, The Green Knight, Lord of Dol Galenehtar, Ithilien,

To Cirien the Wise of Langstrand, the Yellow Knight, Partner in Fiscal Infamy and My Dear and Loyal Friend, Edhellond

Lord Cirien,

It was with sorrow I did bid you farewell, my friend, though well I understand your concern and desire to return to your keep; do please convey unto your Lady Wife my deepest regards and sincerest wishes for her good health.  As adjunct to this letter I ask that you give to her also in measured doses of the tonic I have sent; it has curative properties, being made by my herbalist Liquíseleé, a wise and compassionate woman, who with Elessar and his leeches has convened to brew medicines and healthful supplements using the herbs and roots that grow in abundance in my demesne.  She assures me though it shall not cure your Lady completely it shall lend unto her the strength necessary to combat her illness, and give to her ease of breath and clarity of mind, only she begs of you to watch the dosage closely; no more than two drops in a glass of clean water once daily, or more harm than good shall befall your Lady.  I was not sanguine about sending this potion to you, my friend, thinking perchance this concoction far too strong for one in such straits as your Lady Wife; however Elessar did assure me her health has deteriorated to such a state as to make these measures necessary if we are to see her survive the winter.

I hope that you returned to Edhellond in good time yourself, for the weather hereabouts is as nefarious as it ever has been these past few months; I have been told in your more clement clime it is not so cold as it is here and feel confident you were delayed by no more snow and ice than usual.  In the North it is particularly bad; my Lady Mother despairs of her letters reaching Eryn Lasgalen, and I have not heard from my esquire Bandobras in some time, so that I am forced to conclude the snows have been far too deep for the King's Post to penetrate.  Elessar does assure me though that south of Minas Tirith the roads are clear, and the River does force its sluggish floes through the Ethir Anduin, which affords Lord Círdan some comfort, as he is anxious to return to his home and bring tidings of his journey to his subjects.

Again I must thank you, my friend, for your timely and prudent advice, and do assure you it is already bearing much fruit; Tuilíndo has indeed proved to be of great assistance to Galás, now that the terraces are finished and he has the time to devote to these duties, and his wife Leithwen has agreed to serve as Lady of the Court when my Lady Mother returns home in the Autumn.  Laivánwa their son is also a fine and wise Elf and aids his father and my seneschal in the performance of their duties, so that Hirilcúllas betimes comes to me and with a smile shows her chart, saying, "Look, my Lord!  You have naught to do today save rise, dress, and eat."  And Galás, the droll fellow, when I sat upon the dais with Lord Círdan this morning, came to me at a run with the cry:  "My Lord!  Help!  My Lord!"  "What is it?" I exclaimed springing to my feet in alarm.  He stood before me, waving his arms about energetically and shouting:  "I have nothing to do!  O woe is me!  I have finished with all my labors and it is not yet noon!"  Then giving me a sly grin he said:  "Himbaláth, Morambel and I are going boar-hunting to celebrate this unprecedented incident – would you do the honor of joining us, my Lords both?"  And laughing Lord Círdan and I agreed to it.  I have not had such leisure in ten years, my friend; now that more of my folk are settled in their separate homes and tasks they are able to help us immeasurably, and your suggestion to put their energy to good work has freed me for such pursuits I have not enjoyed in a long time.

You did say to me in your last letter, Lord Cirien, that sundry of our friends were concerned on my behalf, for I did not seem to be myself, being less likely to laugh and smile as I had been before.  I thank you (shall I forever be in debt to your timely wisdom, my friend?) for your answers to them, which you handed down to me, that such a year as I have endured gives anyone the right to sad reflection and sober thought; yet I do assure you there is little to concern you despite your tentative probings; to be sure I am more desirous of my own company alone than I had been before, and less apt to quick speech or merry song; it is only this dim grey winter I am sure, and that many of my friends did depart after the Midwinter Feasts, going to their own homes and leaving Dol Galenehtar the quieter; also Gimli has gone on a journey to see his kin in the North and as well as Bandobras he is greatly missed by me, for of all beings who could succor and comfort me it should be those two, and though I grudge not either of them their own separate duties quite selfishly I would have them both by my side!  If I can but maintain my spirits 'til Spring I am sure the rebirth of Arda shall stir within me life and happiness once more.  Perhaps I shall go unto Langstrand, my friend, and renew my acquaintance with the Sea; its subtle heartbeat calls to me, whispering of peace and forgetfulness; now more than ever I desire to leave these shores and find new life elsewhere.  But fear not!  That shall not be for many years hence; as well as the Sea shall I foregather with you and Gilmir and your Lady Wife, and bring with me olive shoots for us to graft upon your trees, that your orchards shall blossom with these new fruit.

Speaking of grafting, my friend, you did ask my counsel regarding your former esquire Gilmir, who has achieved his majority yet dreads to leave you; though it pains me to take this route, my lord, I must remind you that your wife in her current state is unlikely to produce for you an heir, and you also approach the age where remarrying in her death would be unwise (and how unlike you that should be!); therefore my advice to you is this:  Take for yourself Gilmir as the tender shoot grafted upon your hale bole; he is young, prudent, and loves you dearly, and would make a more fitting heir than your cousin Carnimdil, who is as you have said on numerous occasions little more than the titular head of that branch of your house, being weak-minded and given to much drink.  How distressing it would be to have such a one as head of your household in Edhellond at your passing!  Rather would I take the reins of Langstrand myself (yea, even over Elessar's rule, for he is just and would be constrained to follow the laws hereabouts) until an heir worthy of you should be found, despite the scandal I should cause; you have done far too much to increase the fortunes of your people to have it squandered by a foolish drunkard, and it would burn my heart to know your fiefdom had crumbled for want of a son.  It is true; you shall anger many members of your family should you do so, but in the long run I feel Edhellond shall be the healthier for a little new blood in its veins.

Well it is time for the boar-hunt, my friend; a shame it is you are not here for it!  I know well you do not like this sport, but I am quite aware you are fond of fresh pork; it is a great pity you shall not sit at my high table tonight to enjoy of it with me.  Galás and Himbaláth bid me send to you their greetings, and my Lady Mother as well; do you write to me and quickly, to let me know how fares your Lady Wife with the tonic Liquíseleé has sent; all our prayers for her good health go unto her.

Many thanks for your fine council!  I hope that I shall see you again soon.

Your Servant,

Legolas Thranduilion, the Green Knight

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List