Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Dear Bandobras  by Le Rouret

7.

Edlothiel Daughter of Ailosacathil of Cardolan, Queen of Eryn Lasgalen, beloved bride of the Equally Beloved Thranduil Oropherion,

To Legolas Thranduilion, Her Dearly Loved Son, Lord of Dol Galenehtar, Renowned in the Ring War, Champion of Amon Din, Yet for Some Reason Unknown to His Mother Still Unwed,

Greetings.

I know, my Son, that you shall receive this missive at the same hour as your father's to you, though it was written several days following; when I enquired as to the contents of his letter, and learned that he relayed to you my thoughts concerning the robe I have sent, and which hopefully you have received unharmed, I knew I must make an addendum, so that you would know for certain the function of it, and the purpose behind its construction.  I beg you, my beloved Son, to relay this information unto your valet Kaimelas, and unto his servants also, that they take particular care in the cleansing of this garment, and particularly in the lapels, which have been reinforced with bone, and this must needs be removed before the garment is immersed, so that they shift not, nor do they pierce the silk, which as you know shall ruin the lapels, and cause the robe to be unusable.  I am not certain your father did relay this unto you, as he is vague upon this point when I questioned him of it, so I felt it crucial to so instruct you, before any harm come to it, as it is a garment of marvelous make, and wound about with many spells, to protect the wearer and give him deep insight.  My maids and I did weave the cloth ourselves, and Tuimtellarë did oversee the embroidery and beadwork upon it, which as you can see is in the form of the oak leaf, the chosen sigil of your house.  I hope that you shall wear it at the meeting 'twixt you and Círdan's folk, to so impress them with your wealth and splendor their eyes shall be dazzled and they all bemused may concede unto you in all areas, so that the congress shall be a triumph for Dol Galenehtar and Langstrand, and the folk of Mithlond know that the Sindar folk are deserving their exalted stature in the world of Men.  Also, my son, have I heard the delegation shall bring with them several ladies of high rank, including the ward of Círdan himself, a maid, Laustairë by name, whom he wishes to betroth presently, as her mother had been lost at sea and her father in grief did fade away; she has lived with Lord Círdan since childhood, and has now achieved her majority.

Now, my Son, I know that to you this constant dwelling upon your unmarried state is a subject abhorrent to you, and also I know well my previous endeavors, regarding the four maids of Imladris, and the three of Lothlórien, fell to naught about mine ears, yet I have not altered my opinion, and think it would be wise for you to cede the field to one richer in wisdom and more accomplished in years than you (I do not believe I need expound upon that description with a particular name) and admit to this, that your rule in Dol Galenehtar would be made the easier were there a lady at your side.  I myself do function in many capacities in this court, as dignitary, host, advisor, seneschal, advocate, patron, guardian, benefactor, and diverter by amusement during councils of state wherein the hearts of men grow hard and narrow.  Indeed I have seen it on many occasions, and your father has remarked upon it with surprise and delight, that the gentle speech of a woman, delivered in dissembling guise in dulcet voice, may do more to unravel the convoluted conspiracies of men than all the council-tables and assemblies may bring.  I boast not, my Son, for were it my wisdom or particular power I should preen, but in this it is merely the predetermined posture of a man, that his thoughts run upon a different track when in conversation with a woman, than they do while in discourse with a man.  Why this should be, only Ilúvatar knows!  Or perchance do the Valar who made us – I have often thought to myself, that Yavanna laughs up her sleeve at us, when we use our differences in this fashion.  Did she intend it so, I begrudge her not her prank, for though betimes I grow weary of such deception during councils it has its fruit, and that at the end of the day is the important thing.

At any rate you know my mind, my beloved Son, and know I wish the best for you, not desiring you shall wed the first maid who catches your eye but the one with whom you may comfortably spend eternity; also know, Legolas, the Quenyar of Mithlond are a people rich in wisdom and power, and such a union would bless the Sindar race and bring to it such benefits your kingdom would prosper for many years hence, and when at last you seek the Sea upon your threshold shall lie the grace of the Eldar, and all who step over it shall feel the presence of you, its Lord, and of your Lady, and even within its empty halls shall they find rest.

So, my beloved Son, I beg of you to open your mind, your heart, and your eyes; be not so stubborn (by the Valar I believe you are more like unto your father than to me) and so miss a good thing in your obduracy that you beggar your people.  Laustairë I have heard is a maid mild and studious beyond her years, and perchance it is this trait that shall temper your rather stiff-necked nature, and your tendency, O Beloved Son, to throw yourself into danger, when another might do just as well – I am sure, I need not expound upon this, as you well know the incidents to which I refer, that caused me upon many occasions to cover my face and shudder with fear and dread, as you did fling your immortal self before the lines of battle, in vain attempt, I am sure, to bring your life to a sudden and abrupt conclusion – for what other purpose was that action?  O to think upon the many times I wished for twin sons, as Celebrian had borne, that the loss of one would be lessened by the presence of another!  However well do I recall her plaint, that Elladan and Elrohir both were so equally reckless, her pain and dread was twofold; perchance I did well to have but one child; indeed I am not certain I could have endured you doubled.

And now, beloved Legolas, I bring before you a subject of quite a different nature, that is, the gift that you did bestow upon your Lord Father and me, namely the brooches that so sparkle and flash upon my breast to shame the stars themselves.   You need not even tell me from whom these jewels came – it was Gimli son of Glóin – was it not, my Son?  Only he possesses the skill of the Dwarves and the eye of the Elves combined, to so craft such exquisite jewelry; indeed I wear mine continually, so that I am never sundered from it, for it is far more than passing fair to me; it is splendid, not only for its physical form, but for the union of race it implies, between your Dol Galenehtar and his Aglarond; I hesitate to enquire as to the price asked, but rest in the assurance that you are not wanting, nor would your dear friend demand too much of you.  Thank you, my beloved Son, for so glorious a gift!  Know that you have reduced your father to speechlessness, and relate that unto Gimli also, for that is a happenstance not known for its frequency.  I shall wear mine at King Girion's reception next week, and so drag the visiting ladies' countenances down by their chagrin they might mop the very rushes with their chins. 

My maids send their regards, and their regrets as well; what a shame it is, my Son, that none were deserving of your regard!  Was it perchance their familiarity to you, that so dissuaded you from seeing them in a nuptial light?  If so Laustairë and her ladies' maids have the advantage, and I am anxious to hear what she is like, for so greatly has she been praised, by her friends Kalamiril and Nardanë in particular, my curiosity quite overcomes my maternal sentiments, and I would like to see how well she performs upon the banquet floor, if she is sufficient in poise and stamina to endure us.

Remember to tell Kaimelas about the lapels!  It is very important, I do not want any harm to come to them.

In sorrow we are so sundered, and with hope we shall meet soon,

Mother

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List