Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Interrupted Journeys: Part 1 New Journeys  by elliska

Chapter 4: Invitations

The next day found Thranduil back at the archery range butchering another target. He had been there for some time before the sound of laughter made him tense slightly. He did not stop his assault on the target, though he recognized the source of the laughter.

“You are going to destroy another target, my lord,” said a female voice.

“I will make Amroth another one,” Thranduil said with clipped tones. He did not cease firing arrows into the target.

Lindomiel walked along side him. “When my Adar got home, I listened to him for less than two minutes and gathered that I would find you here again.”

“I think it would be best if we did not discuss your lord father, my lady,” he snarled.

She laughed. “How do you make a courtesy like ‘lord father’ sound so insulting?”

He sighed and lowered the bow, his shoulders slumping slightly. “I do not mean to sound insulting, my lady,” he said in as polite a voice as he could muster.

She laid a hand on his arm. “You need not worry, my lord. As I told you last night, I am very accustomed to people’s reactions to my Adar. He is not well liked. He is not known for his diplomacy.” Thranduil snorted at that. “He is a good Adar. Very doting on me for I am my parents’ only child.”

“I pity your mother,” he said brusquely and then closed his eyes. “I apologize, my lady. I have no idea why Lord Amglaur has this affect on me, but I have no intention of making the situation more difficult by insulting him. Especially in front of his daughter.”

Lindomiel grinned. “Why not? Everybody else does. Do not worry, my lord. I think of it this way—I am doing my part for the realm when I try to calm the nerves of the elves my Adar rankles. It is not uncommon. Come take a walk with me. Let me see if I can help you find some common ground with him.”

Thranduil looked at her skeptically. “It is a tempting offer, my lady, but to be honest, I do not care to complicate this situation by giving your lord father reason to think that I am trifling with his daughter. And I am not sure he would appreciate any ‘help’ you gave me.”

She shrugged. “It is your decision, my lord. My Adar lectured me last night about being careful with you, and I often tell foreign diplomats the same things I would tell you now, but if you prefer to continue the Battle of the Archery Target, it suits me. There does not appear to be much glory in it though. The opponent seems well and thoroughly defeated.” She stood back a few paces as if she intended to watch.

Thranduil missed her joke, focusing instead on her first sentence. He looked at her tensely, trying to conceal his anger. “And what, precisely, did your Adar say about me, my lady.” His voice did not hide his anger well.

Her eyes narrowed somewhat at his tone and she met his gaze levelly. “That you are very…popular in Eryn Galen. Popular was not the word he used. But I would hardly need to be told that. An unmarried king? And you are hardly ill featured.” He would have sworn he could actually feel her eyes rake over his body with that comment. Thranduil knew he was blushing under her gaze. “Indeed I imagine you have had your choice of the ellyth in the Woodland Realm.”

He stared at her for a moment, speechless. “I think I am insulted,” he finally said in a stiff tone.

She looked at him coolly. “Well if you are insulted by being told that you are handsome, I cannot imagine what it would take to please you in any sort of truly intricate diplomatic negotiation.” A telltale quirk around her mouth caught Thranduil’s eye.

He let out a long breath and his eyes widened in amused disbelief. In response, she laughed.

“You are not so very different from your lord father, my lady,” he said looking at her warily, but with laughter in his eyes.

“No, I am not. I am very much like him, in fact. Getting to know me would help you deal with him. For example, when I am met with aggression, I return it in kind. As you have just seen. So does my Adar.”

Thranduil looked at her one last time before turning to retrieve his arrows. “And to think last night I believed you were too young and innocent to trifle with.”

She followed him. “I am young. Much younger than you, my lord. But I am also my father’s daughter as you said. I can handle Aran Thranduil. And Ernil Amglaur.”

“I see that you can.” He looked at her calmly. “The question is, can I handle Ernil Amglaur? Not in negotiations. There is no doubt I can in those circumstances.” His tone was not arrogant, it was coldly confident. “But rather can I handle his reaction to me spending time with his daughter?”

She smiled softly and took his arm. “My Adar said his piece to me about you. After that, he will trust my judgment and sense of honor. He always does. Do you think you are the first elf to come into my cousin’s court and notice me?” With that, she led him off down the paths.

They walked for nearly an hour before returning to the bench where they had sat the night before. Their conversation contained no more confrontations and Thranduil laughed inwardly to notice that the innocent little comments and gestures that had caught his eye the night before seemed once again to dominate her personality. He was amazed by the contrast of this lady with the one who had raked her eyes over him while informing him she assumed he led a loose lifestyle.

They were quietly enjoying the sound of the waterfall when he finally broke the silent between them. “So, my lady, at the risk of sounding insulting—and I assure you that is not my intent—how is it that you are still willing to spend time with me in such a secluded location given that you think I am such a reprobate?”

“I find that those who live in court rarely match the reputation they are burdened with. And you were lovely company last night.”

He laughed softly. “Thank you, my lady. As were you. I at least approached the negotiation table this morning in an open frame of mind thanks to your influence.” He looked down at her. “May I ask you something?”

“Hmm?”

“Do I really have such a terrible reputation here in Lorien?”

“My Adar seems to think so,” she answered frankly.

He raised his eyebrows and shook his head. “Well, I invite you to ask any of my people. I have no such reputation in Eryn Galen. I think most of the ellyth there are afraid of me and I was raised much too conservatively to engage in casual dalliances.”

“I believe you. You need not defend yourself to me. I make my own judgments about people.”

“Very well," he said quietly.

She leaned her head against his shoulder. Thranduil looked down on her, a little surprised by that gesture. He continued looking after his surprise faded, captivated by the light of the lanterns as it played on her hair. After a few silent moments, he saw her smile.

"Would you like to have dinner with us tomorrow night?" she asked simply.

He drew in a quiet breath. "I do not think Lord Amglaur would appreciate you issuing such an invitation, my lady."

"I often invite the elves I meet to have dinner with us. I am free to do so."

"The circumstances are slightly different, Lindomiel. I am not simply some elf you are flirting with. Your father and I are involved in negotiations that are important to both our realms. I cannot risk provoking him."

She raised her head from his shoulder and looked at him dispassionately. "Am I flirting with you, my lord? I thought I was doing my duty to as a lady of the court to entertain visiting dignitaries." Thranduil blushed. "You might find that meeting Ada on a more casual level will help your negotiations. Perhaps you can find some common ground."

Thranduil stared at her a moment. "I find I am completely off balance with you, my lady. If you think your Adar will not turn me away at the door, I would be delighted to join you for dinner."

She smiled and stood. He rose as well, confused until she began to lead him towards her flet. "He will not turn you away, my lord. He is not stupid," she said softly.

********

Adar/Ada--Father/Dad
Elleth/Ellyth--Female Elf(s)
Aran--King
Ernil--Prince





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List