Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Interrupted Journeys: Part 1 New Journeys  by elliska

Chapter 4: Dinner with Amglaur

'It has been a very long time since I was nervous to join a lady and her parents for dinner,' Thranduil thought as he approached the flet where Lindomiel lived. The guards at the bottom of the stairs that led into the trees bowed to him before one indicated he should follow. Thranduil soon found himself bowing politely, albeit stiffly, to Ernil Amglaur. He was then introduced to Amglaur's wife, Limmiel. Thranduil was pleased to see that he liked Limmiel almost immediately.

Thranduil smiled to himself as dinner began. Amlgaur asked first his wife and then his daughter how their day had been and what they had done. It was a very pleasant family scene and it surprised Thranduil, given what he had seen of Amglaur at the negotiation table. As Lindomiel described her day, Thranduil raised his eyebrows when she mentioned that she had spoken to the master weaver about beginning to work with him. Amglaur noticed his reaction.

"Your lady mother also enjoys weaving, does she not?" This question was directed to Thranduil by Amglaur in a stern tone. As he snapped to attention under Amglaur's gaze, Thranduil realized suddenly what threw him off balance around Amglaur. Amglaur reminded him of his father, Oropher.

"Yes, my lord. Our Queen has made many lovely tapestries and other such things over the years."

"How is Dieneryn? I was surprised she did not fade after Oropher's death."

Thranduil visibly paled at that question. "I am exceedingly thankful that she did not," he replied quietly before continuing in a stronger voice. "Naneth is well," he replied, seeing no point in sticking to titles and formalities when Amglaur had already referred to both his father and mother by name. "She suffered as we all did and recovered as much as any of us will."

"And why did not she travel to Lothlorien with you? Surely she wanted to visit her kin here?"

Thranduil looked at Amglaur silently a moment. Yes, this inquisition felt like something Oropher might have done. "The Queen was needed to rule Eryn Galen while I was away," he finally answered.

Amglaur regarded him coolly. "You have no advisors? No steward?"

Thranduil's tone held irritation now. "Yes, my lord. I have many competent advisors. One of them is my father's queen. She chose to stay in Eryn Galen while I traveled here and for that I am very grateful. She rules my father's kingdom better than I can ever hope to."

"Hmm. I hear you do well enough," Amglaur replied, causing Thranduil to glance at him sharply and with some surprise. They were silent for a moment. "How is Eryn Galen?" Amglaur finally asked casually.

Thranduil looked at him suspiciously now.

Amglaur frowned. "This is a casual dinner conversation, Thranduil, not a diplomatic maneuver. You insult me. If for no other reason than if I do care to trick you, I will be much more subtle."

Thranduil looked down automatically. "Forgive me. It was not my intent to insult you.” He paused and considered the question Amglaur had asked. “I am learning that Eryn Galen is…a large kingdom with many very scattered villages and a wide variety of needs. It does well, but there are changes I would like to see made."

Amglaur’s tone was once again conversational. "Indeed. I have never regretted being my father's younger son and I was always thankful my brother, Amdir, had his own son before he was killed. I would not care to rule these Silvan elves and I do not envy you.”

He paused, glanced at his daughter’s plate and put another serving of venison on it. Thranduil tried to hide his amusement at Lindomiel’s annoyed frown. His amusement turned to astonishment as Amglaur spooned both venison and mushrooms onto his plate. Granted, he had enjoyed the mushrooms and had probably eaten them with some relish but it had been over three millennia since anyone had fed him. Thranduil stared at his host. Amglaur did not notice but his wife apparently had—she was hiding her laughter behind a napkin. Thranduil rolled his eyes and began to eat the food as Amglaur continued his monologue.

“I hear one of the changes that you are enforcing quite vigorously is the development of smithies for metal weaponry," Amglaur said. "Why is that? Surely we are at peace now."

"I do not believe Sauron was destroyed. I do not trust the peace."

"Sauron is gone, Thranduil," Amglaur said quietly.

"May it be so," Thranduil replied, "but I will never again leave two thirds of my people on another battlefield. I will protect these people if the need arises."

"I understand," Amglaur said softly. "We both suffered losses at the Dagorlad, I seem to recall."

Thranduil closed eyes. "Indeed we did. How is your lady mother? I have not seen her since my arrival."

"She sailed from Belfalas soon after Amroth returned alone."

Thranduil hastily looked down at that to conceal his shock and whispered a quick prayer of thanks that his own mother did not choose the same path. "I am sorry. I had never heard that," he said.

"We take comfort in the fact that she is at peace and safe."

"Of course."

“And your own Naneth has no such intentions?”

“To the best of my knowledge, no.” Thranduil replied quickly.

“Then since you will not let her out of court, I would like to visit my cousin. Perhaps Limmiel, Lindomiel and myself can travel to Eryn Galen in the summer.”

Thranduil tried to conceal several emotions at that statement. The overwhelming one was absolute horror at the idea of actually having to entertain Amglaur in his court. Mixed with that, he found, was the pleasant idea of having the privilege of entertaining Lindomiel. King Thranduil answered automatically above the warring thoughts. “You are always welcome in Eryn Galen, of course. Visit us anytime you like,” he said with what he hoped was a pleasant tone.

Lindomiel was looking at her father with some interest. “I did not know you and Lady Dieneryn were cousins, Ada.”

Amglaur laughed. “All the Sindar remaining on Middle Earth must be cousins somehow, but Dieneryn is related to me by marriage. She is my brother Amdir’s wife’s brother’s daughter. Is that right, Thranduil?”

Thranduil nodded and would have responded verbally but Amglaur cut him off.

“Dieneryn was the first daughter born in her generation. We all doted on her. She was a favorite in court in Menegroth.” He turned to Thranduil. “We were all a little upset when your Adar carried her off.”

Thranduil laughed. “I was born in Menegroth. He could not have carried her too far.”

Amglaur laughed as well. “Well, we did not get angry with your Adar until he went off to Amon Lanc. We will never forgive him for that.” He looked thoughtful for a moment. “At least she did not marry a Noldo like that cousin of yours, Thranduil. Celeborn must be out of his mind. The half niece of Feanor!”

Thranduil raised his glass to Amglaur with a smile. “Now there is something we are in complete agreement on.”

*********

Ernil--Prince
Eryn Galen--Greenwood (the orignal name of Mirkwood before the Shadow fell on it)
Naneth/Nana--Mother/Mum
Adar/Ada--Father/Dad





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List