Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Interrupted Journeys: Part 1 New Journeys  by elliska

Chapter 5: Conversations or confrontations

Thranduil approached the negotiation table the next morning with no expectations that Amglaur would be any friendlier despite the relatively pleasant dinner they had enjoyed together the night before. And he was not disappointed. However, he was better prepared. Thranduil was a young king, relatively speaking in the eyes of elves, but he was a keen judge of character. Lindomiel was correct. Amglaur tended to react when confronted. Otherwise, he tended to be more reasonable. Since Thranduil was aware that he did exactly the same thing and that he was very direct and confrontational by nature, he decided it would be best to step back. Instead of participating actively in the negotiations, he allowed Hallion, his steward, to speak. Hallion had been Oropher’s chief councilor as well and he had served in the court in Doriath. He was quiet, reserved and dangerous as a sharp blade. Negotiations went much better with him leading them.

That night, Thranduil sat on the quiet pool-side bench enjoying the beauty of the waterfall rather than slaughtering archery targets on the range. Much to his surprise, it was Amglaur that joined him there rather than Lindomiel.

Thranduil stood in respect upon seeing the prince approach. Amglaur smiled wryly in response to that courtesy. Taking a seat on the bench, he gestured for Thranduil to do the same. Amglaur eyed Thranduil for several moments, but Thranduil ignored him and instead returned his gaze to the waterfall.

“Well you can be taught,” Amglaur finally said softly. “And I find that to be an encouraging sign.”

Thranduil tensed. It was, of course, his natural reaction to rise to such bait, but he was determined not to react in that way. Instead he turned to Amglaur and spoke politely. “I beg your pardon? I can be taught what, my lord?”

Amglaur raised his eyebrows. “Very good indeed, Thranduil.”

Thranduil felt every muscle in his body go taut. He only succeeded marginally in keeping his face arranged in a neutral expression. Taking a deep breath, he spoke quietly. “We both know you are trying to be provoking, Lord Amglaur. Please explain to me why, for I see no purpose in it.”

Amglaur looked at him coldly now. “I knew your Adar, Thranduil. I was on the Dagorlad when he killed two thirds of your warriors with his pride. And I know you. From what I remember, you are just like your father. Hot tempered, reckless, willful, prideful…” he drifted to a stop and watched for a reaction.

Thranduil’s face no longer concealed his anger. “First of all," Thranduil began heatedly. "My Adar was a very good king. I do not deny his actions on the Dagorlad were disastrous, but he ruled Eryn Galen for three millennia with great success and those elves followed him in that insane charge because they loved him. As for myself, please allow that years of war and loss might change a person, my lord. I do not deny that in my early youth I was exactly what you describe. But I was also on the Dagorlad. And at the siege for the seven years that followed. And before that I was at Menegroth, like you, when it was attacked first by dwarves and then by our own kin.”

“You were a mere elfling at Menegroth…”

“That does not diminish my memory of it," he interrupted Amglaur firmly, fixing him with a cold look. "But your memories of me are from Menegroth and Sirion, when I was indeed a mere elfling. I have been an adult for over three millennia. I have mastered my temper. I must for the sake of the people I lead. It is not I that came here spoiling for a fight, nor will I stay and participate in one.” He snorted. “Nor can I imagine why you have come to provoke one. What do you hope to gain with this conversation?”

Amglaur glared at him levelly. “I hope to find out what sort of elf my daughter has taken such an interest in. I hope to find out if what I have heard from Eryn Galen is correct.”

Thranduil lifted his chin. “Your lady daughter told me what you heard of me from Eryn Galen, my lord. And I assure you it is not correct…”

Thranduil was astonished when Amglaur laughed out right at that.

“I do not find such slurs on my reputation to be so entertaining, my lord.” Thranduil said icily.

Amglaur held up his hand, still laughing. “Forgive me,” he spluttered finally. “Did she really tell you what I said?”

“Indeed.”

“That’s my daughter. She is nothing if not direct. Oh, I am sorry, Thranduil. You do have a bit of a reputation in that area as well, but it is clearly the product of the hopeful imaginations of the smitten ellyth in your court.” He laughed again at Thranduil’s frown. “I am not truly concerned about your honor. I am concerned about my daughter’s happiness. I want her to find someone who will cherish her as her mother and I do. And my recollection of you is that you are not the type of personality capable of what I want for my daughter.” Amglaur was still chuckling as he finished that little monologue.

Thranduil blinked. “Am I courting your daughter, my lord?”

Amglaur sobered slightly. “Are you?”

Thranduil looked away and drew a deep breath. “I do not know her nearly well enough to say if I am or not. I have known her for less than half of a week. I enjoy her company and I very much would like to get to know her better.” He laughed derisively. “And I would not worry about her if I were you. She has her father’s sharp tongue and wit.”

Amglaur fixed him with a harsh glare now. “Very well, but do not get too attached to the idea. I hear that you have proven yourself to be a very reasonable, conservative and just king. I hear the elves in Eryn Galen love you. But I will go there myself this summer to be the judge of that. I will not allow the King of Eryn Galen to take my daughter someplace where she will not be loved and cherished for the precious jewel that she is. Do we understand each other?”

Thranduil stared at him a moment. “Yes, my lord, we do understand each other.”

Amglaur nodded and stood to leave. Thranduil stood as well and caught his arm. Amglaur turned back to him. Thranduil looked at him placidly. “You knew my father?”

“I did.”

“And you did not like him?”

“I did not.”

Thranduil raised his eyebrows. “You are exactly like him. Down to the last mannerism,” he said calmly.

“I know,” Amglaur responded coolly. Pulling from Thranduil’s grasp, he walked silently away.

********

Eryn Galen--Greenwood (Eryn=Forest/wood, Calen=green) The original name of Mirkwood before the Shadow fell on it.
Adar/Ada--Father/Dad
Dagorlad--Battle Plain (where the first battles of the War of the Last Alliance were fought)
Elleth/Ellyth--Female Elf(s)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List