Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

All That Glisters  by Lindelea


Chapter 22. Sleeping Half the Day Away

When Ferdi wakened it was still dark, his little room in the inn lit only by a turned-down watchlamp. Pippin had insisted on a private, quiet room for Ferdi, rather than him sharing quarters with Tolly or a few of the archers. Pincup must be bursting at the seams to accommodate so many extra hobbits! He snorted to himself. Stay abed until elevenses! A more ridiculous order had never been given!

There was a rustle of movement to one side of the bed, and then shutters were thrown open, flooding the little room with light. ‘What...?’ Ferdi said, shielding his eyes.

 ‘Thain’s orders,’ Healer Fennel said from the window. ‘Did you sleep well?’

 ‘So it seems,’ Ferdi said, still blinking. ‘I didn’t need a watcher!’

Fennel smiled. ‘As you were asleep at the time I took up my post, it didn’t seem opportune to ask your opinion. You’ll be glad to hear that you did not suffer another bad spell in your sleep.’

 ‘I don’t need you to tell me that,’ Ferdi grumbled, but his chest felt heavy, as did his head.

 ‘Well then, let us look you over and tender a report to the Thain,’ the healer said, and despite Ferdi’s protests that he was perfectly well, Fennel proceeded to make a thorough examination. He frowned but did not share his findings with Ferdi, saying only, ‘I can imagine you must be hungry! I’ll send someone in with a plate of hot food, whilst you’re dressing, and you ought to be ready to depart by the time everyone else is finished admiring the jonquils.’

 ‘Indeed,’ Ferdi said, for want of anything better, and he hopped out of bed in his nightshirt to see Fennel to the door, affecting energy and cheer. Healers! Were he to wilt the slightest amount they’d likely pop him into bed for a week! And then where would he be?

Just in case the healer thought of something and returned, Ferdi dressed quickly and pulled the bedcovers straight—much less inviting, that way. He sank down on the bed and wondered why he felt more exhausted after a full sleep than after all the nights of sleeplessness that had preceded it.

At a thump on the door, he jumped to his feet, calling in his cheeriest manner, ‘Enter!’

Open the door! a muffled voice sounded. I’ve my hands full here!

Ferdi sprang to the door and pulled it open with a flourish, revealing a heavily-laden Hilly.

 ‘Breakfast—first and second—and elevenses, and probably nooning as well,’ he said, swinging the tray down upon the little table by the bed. He pulled up a chair to seat himself, and Ferdi sat back down on the bed, and they had a feast of their own in that little room with the sunshine pouring in through the round, sparkling window.

 ‘You don’t look much the worse for wear,’ Ferdi observed when the roasted capon had been reduced to bones, as he buttered his fourth piece of bread—still warm from the oven, imagine that! The bowls of mash and buttered carrots and peas were reduced to scrapings, but there was still plenty of bread and butter, a variety of jams and preserves, and a tempting assortment of cheese just right for filling up the corners.

 ‘They keep thumping my chest and insisting I bundle myself warmly,’ Hilly said sourly, pouring himself another cup of tea and adding an extra spoonful of sugar, moodily watching it dissolve as he stirred. ‘As if I were going to melt in a puddle!’

 ‘Rather more than a puddle,’ Ferdi said, sitting back with his own cup. ‘I fell in at the same place, you know.’

 ‘You did!’ Hilly said with a shudder. ‘I hadn’t heard that part. They pulled you out with a rope?’

 ‘Something like that,’ Ferdi said, thinking of the braided reins.

 ‘Is that why Pippin’s given orders to cosset and care for you?’ Hilly said. ‘I thought perhaps the ruffians had got hold of you and...’

 ‘There were no ruffians,’ Ferdi said.

 ‘I beg to differ,’ Hilly said, looking at his wrists thoughtfully. ‘Though they were oddly soft, for ruffians. I don’t even have any marks...’

 ‘It was all a misunderstanding,’ Ferdi said.

 ‘Misunderstanding!’ Hilly cried. ‘This ought to be good!’

 ‘You haven’t heard?’ Ferdi asked.

Hilly chuckled and shook his head. ‘I’ve only been up about an hour longer than you,’ he said, ‘and when I awakened a healer was sitting by my side and wouldn’t tell me anything more than “You’ve taken no harm, I’m glad to say!” and that everyone was out admiring the flowers.’ He tilted his head to gulp the last of his tea and set the cup firmly on its saucer. ‘So what haven’t I heard?’

 ‘They were in the Shire by mischance,’ Ferdi said. ‘Evidently took a wrong turn, or read the map wrong, or somewhat. By sheer luck they missed the Rangers and the Bounders, and they were walking through the woods, trying to get their bearings, when they heard Diamond singing her farewell to you. They were just in time to pull you from the bog as you were drowning.’

 ‘They certainly acted like ruffians afterwards,’ Hilly argued, looking again at his unmarked wrists.

 ‘O aye,’ Ferdi drawled. ‘Built a fire and made broth and forced it into you all. Diamond and Farry were badly chilled, and you...’

 ‘Yes, yes, I know all about me,’ Hilly said impatiently. ‘And then they tied me and forced us all to go along with them...’

 ‘They realised they were in the Shire, you see, and what a fix they’d got themselves into,’ Ferdi said easily. ‘They had to get out again, but they were afraid you or Diamond would give them up...’

 ‘And so they walked us all that way, bound...’ Hilly said.

 ‘You were the only one bound,’ Ferdi argued, ‘and that just because the old man realised you were sworn to serve Diamond, and would likely try to escape and raise the alarm. He had the lads to think of...’

 ‘You’re taking their part!’ Hilly accused. ‘I do not believe this!’

 ‘I’ve heard their story,’ Ferdi answered, ‘which is more than you can say if you only awakened an hour ago.’ Pretty powerful sleeping draught, he thought to himself. But then, Pippin himself told me that they put folk into healing sleeps for weeks at a time, in the lands of Men. Aloud, he added, ‘In any event, Pippin gave them safe conduct out of the Shire again, once he knew the full story.’

 ‘You, taking the part of ruffians,’ Hilly muttered, shaking his head.

 ‘They weren’t ruffians,’ Ferdi said patiently. Hilly might never come around, having walked so far at the end of a rope, but that wouldn’t stop Ferdi from advancing the “official line”, or the story as Pippin wanted it told. ‘They were just an old man and two young lads under his wing, on their way to make a new life in a new home.’

Hilly humphed and poured himself another cup of tea. ‘Have another slice,’ Ferdi said, pushing the bread plate toward him. ‘The gooseberry jam is excellent.’

 ‘Don’t mind if I do,’ the escort said, helping himself. They continued to eat in silence, and Ferdi was aware that an atmosphere of constraint was settling over the pleasant meal. He thought he might know what it was about.

 ‘Not long until the King comes to the Bridge,’ he said conversationally, and was rewarded with seeing Hilly give a start, spilling the tea he was pouring from the fresh pot a serving lass had brought a few moments earlier.

Ferdi helped him mop up, accepted another cup of tea, and settled back on the bed, eyeing the younger hobbit closely. ‘It’ll be quite a sight, I hear,’ he said. ‘All those guardsmen in their fancy togs, and the King and Queen, and Thain, Master, and Mayor to greet them.’

 ‘Aye,’ Hilly said, staring into his teacup.

 ‘Quite a sight,’ Ferdi said. ‘Pippin tells me you’re to ride escort to the Bridge.’

Hilly did not answer.

 ‘It is an honour, you know,’ Ferdi said.

Hilly nodded but did not look up.

 ‘You earned it,’ Ferdi said. ‘You threw away your own chances in the bog, pushing yourself upright to throw young Farry to safety.’

 ‘What else would I do?’ Hilly said hotly, flashing a brief glance at Ferdi. ‘Push the lad down into the bog, use him as a stepping stone to safety, stand upon him as I stood upon my poor...’ his voice broke, ‘Whitefoot...’

 ‘You couldn’t have saved the pony,’ Ferdi said softly.

 ‘He went down faster, with me standing on him,’ Hilly said.

 ‘You were barely saved from the bog yourself,’ Ferdi said. ‘He was a fine pony, Hilly, and...’

 ‘I helped him come into the world,’ Hilly whispered. ‘I tore away the birthing sack. I watched him stand to his feet for the first time, and...’ He drew a shuddering breath, staring fiercely into his teacup as if the dregs would give him the words to express his loss. ‘And I helped him out of the world again,’ he said at last. ‘Poor lad.’

Ferdi was silent. There really were no words to be said.

A tap came at the door and Fennel stuck his head in. ‘The Thain’s nearly ready to ride out,’ he said. ‘Hilly, he’s waiting for you. Have you finished your meal?’

 ‘We’re just finishing,’ Ferdi said. ‘He’s waiting for Hilly? What about me?’

 ‘You’re to return to the Great Smials,’ Fennel said lightly. ‘Apparently we’re to wrap you in cotton batting and cosset you all the way there.’

 ‘I’d like to see you try,’ Ferdi said grimly, but he couldn’t help smiling as the healer burst into a peal of laughter. ‘Go on with you, Fennel,’ he said with a pushing motion of the bread-and-jam in his hand. ‘You go tell the Thain that his escort will be there soon!’

 ‘Don’t leave your plate half-full, Hilly,’ Fennel said. ‘I’ll tell the Thain you’ll be with him in a quarter hour or so. Tolly’s saddling a pony for you.’

He was gone before Hilly could say he was on his fourth servings.

 ‘Eat up,’ Ferdi said pleasantly. ‘Healer’s orders!’

Hilly looked down and cleared his plate as rapidly and efficiently as a hobbit in a hurry, while Ferdi continued to make a leisurely meal.

At last, plate cleared, Hilly broke the silence. ‘I had better go,’ he said.

 ‘Don’t want to keep Pippin waiting,’ Ferdi answered, putting his fork down and rising from the bed. Hilly rose hastily.

‘You ought to be the one, going to meet the King,’ he said low, his gaze fixed firmly on his toes. ‘You, who out-Foxed the ruffians in the Troubles. Hero of Tookland, and Pippin’s right hand...’

Ferdi put a steady hand on Hilly’s shoulder. ‘I cannot think of a hobbit I’d trust more with the task,’ he said gently, ‘nor one more worthy.’

The younger hobbit raised his eyes. ‘You mean that?’ he said unsteadily. ‘You, the Fox, say that to me... and mean it?’

 Ferdi squeezed Hilly’s shoulder hard and released him. ‘I always mean what I say; you know that,’ he said.

Hilly swallowed hard. ‘Except when you don’t,’ he quipped.

 ‘Exactly,’ Ferdi said lightly. ‘Go, and greet the King for me!’

 ‘Me? Greet a King?’ Hilly said. ‘You don’t mean that.’

 ‘Of course I don’t,’ Ferdi said, and laughed. He gave the escort a push. ‘Go, don’t keep the Thain waiting or he’s likely to leave without you.’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List