Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Down and Out  by Lindelea

Chapter 8. Storyteller

Merry awakened slowly, lulled and pulled at the same time by a lilting voice with a storyteller's cadence. He thought at first it was Diamond, coaxing Pippin to stay with them, but it was not her voice, not quite... He listened with eyes closed, feeling the weariness of the long watch in every bone.

' "...could crawl away if we could only somehow cut our bonds. But there's no hope for it, I suppose. My hands are tied so tight I can't even feel my fingers anymore." '

'His cousin answered, "That's what I was trying to tell you. I've managed to free my hands; these loops are only left for show. But you're worn out, cousin. I think we'll get farther if you have a bit of lembas first." He slipped off the cords and felt in his pocket for the lembas that he'd carried all the way from Parth Galen. It was broken but still in its leaf-wrappings, still wholesome, y'know, and each of them ate a few pieces. It brought thoughts of sunshine and sweet water and laughter and fair faces to them as they sat on the battlefield and ate.'

Merry heard the speaker take a deep breath before going on. 'Then Pippin, he came to himself, realizing again where he was, and he said, "But we must be off! What are we doing, just sitting here? We have places to go and people to see!" He crawled to the goblin and found a long sharp knife, and used it to cut their bonds. Then he said, "Now for it! We'd better start by crawling, I think, to keep us below notice, y'know, and because I for one can't walk at the moment!" He laughed, and added, "but later perhaps we can stand and walk." And so they crawled through the grass, round the watch-fire, to the edge of the stream. Father, do you hear me?'

Merry heard a catch in the speaker's breath, and opened his eyes to see young Faramir, leaning forward, grasping his father's hand, speaking earnestly, tears on his face. 'Then Pippin said, "We must get under cover before those Riders see us! It would be small comfort for them to discover we are not Orcs only after we are dead!" He staggered to his feet and stamped them vigorously. "These cords have cut me like wires," he said, "but I think my feet are getting warm again. I can feel them well enough, feels like all the pins and needles in the Shire are to be found in my feet! I could stagger on, now, rather I think we must, don't you, Merry?" '

The lad breathed raggedly, stifling a sob, and continued. 'Merry got up and stamped his own feet, saying, "Yes, I think I can manage it. The lembas certainly puts heart in you, better than that old orc-draught, anyhow." He wanted a drink but Pippin told him they'd better find a place along the stream where the banks weren't so steep. And so they walked into the forest... And Merry said... Merry said...'

Faramir wiped his face with his sleeve, looking into his father's face, then he laid his head down upon the blankets.

Merry rose, and placing a hand on the boy's shaking shoulders, he said softly, 'You seem to have been doing well, Master Took. You will get almost a chapter in old Bilbo's book, if ever I get a chance to report to him. I shall have to brush up my toes, if I am to get level with you.' Faramir turned and threw his arms around Merry's waist, and Merry held him tightly, murmuring wordless comfort to the lad. As he felt the sobs ease, he knelt to look eye to eye with the lad. 'Go to bed now, lad, and thanks for spelling me. I'll take over now.'

'Don't fall asleep,' the boy ordered.

'Don't worry,' Merry said. 'I got a bit of a rest just now, I'll be fine until morning. Now go before your mother finds you out of bed.'

Faramir left with a last look at his father. Merry turned back to his cousin. 'You've a fine lad, there, Pippin,' he said. 'You can't go leaving him, he needs you. Diamond needs you.' He looked up to the ceiling in frustration, then back down at the bed. 'For that matter, I need you. And Tookland needs her Thain. Stay with us, cousin.' He sighed. 'I know you're tired, but you've been tired before. Keep fighting.'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List