Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

Namesake

Diamond was asleep, but the baby was awake, and Pippin took him out into the kitchen. He pulled a chair close to the warm glow of the hearth and sat there, cradling his son.

"We'll have to name you, you know," he said conversationally. The baby blinked, seemingly interested, and Pippin grinned. "Do you have any ideas, then? No? Well, I've given it plenty of thought. I know we won't name you Merry. Your nose just isn’t silly enough."

The baby gurgled. "It's true," Pippin said, nodding solemnly. He peered closely at his son. "Besides, I've another name in mind. One that I hope will fit you well- even if you are less likely to grow a beard than a silly nose."

The baby's eyebrows knit together and he waved a tiny fist. "All right, all right, I won’t keep you in suspense any longer," Pippin laughed, catching the hand with his own. "What do you think of Faramir? Oh, I know you haven't met him, not yet anyway, but would you like that name for your own? I know some will say it's too grand and outlandish a name for just a wee lad, but that's what we Tooks do. Peregrin seemed a silly enough name until I grew into it. And I would like you to grow up like Faramir- wise and kind and brave and good." He smiled at the baby. "What do you think of that?"

It seemed to Pippin that his son smiled in return.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List