Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

Found

Faramir walked along the busy street, peering into every corner and archway. Most people stepped aside to let him pass, but others came up to speak with him, and though Faramir greeted them kindly he did not linger long. There was one person alone that he wished to find now. Perhaps just a little further, he thought, continuing down the street. He could not have gone far…

There, huddled in the doorway of a shop was a tiny figure, crying. With a sigh of relief Faramir crossed the street and crouched down beside him. “Farry?”

The child glanced up in surprise, sniffling. “Lord Faramir,” he squeaked, throwing his chubby arms around the man’s neck and holding on tight.

Faramir smiled and reassuringly patted the child’s back. “You do not have to call me that, Farry. You may simply call me ‘Faramir.’ After all, it is your name, too.” He gently pried away the hobbit’s arms so he could look into his small, troubled face. “What happened?”

“I got lost,” Farry said, rubbing at his nose with his sleeve until Faramir gave him a handkerchief. “I was looking in this window and when I turned back Da was gone. I tried to find him, but there were so many Big People around, and I didn’t see him anywhere, so I came back here.”

Faramir glanced up at the shop they were sitting in front of and smiled. Of course the bright display of sweets and cakes and biscuits would steal any child’s attention. “It was very wise of you to return to this place,” he said. “If you would have continued to wander along this road you would have soon found yourself in another circle of the city, and would not have been discovered so quickly.”

“I thought I would be lost forever,” Farry admitted, shuddering.

“Not when every soldier and guard who can be spared is looking for you,” Faramir said. “Come, let us find your father. He is nearly frantic with worry.”

“Da is afraid?” Farry asked, amazed. He gripped the small wooden sword he wore at his waist in imitation of his father, a beautifully carved gift from the King himself. “But Da is never afraid. Not like me.”

“You are more like your father than you know,” Faramir said, hiding a smile. “And in more than just appearance. As you grow older you will realize this.” Standing, he scooped up Farry and strode down the street. “Let me bring you to him. He is searching for you on the next street, and I know he will be overjoyed to see you.”

Farry smiled gratefully but nonetheless clung tightly to Faramir’s shoulders. The ground seemed awfully far away…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List