Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

A/N: It's the summer before the Party so Pippin is 11, Merry is 19, and Frodo is 32.


A Hammock of Hobbits

Strung between two trees lining the rose garden at Brandy Hall was something that looked very much like a large net to Pippin's eyes. He crept close to it, touching the web of soft rope before turning to his cousins, perplexed. "What is it?"

"It's called a hammock," Merry said. "Da says that men on ships sleep in them, because they take less room than beds, and won't roll across the deck when the Sea is rough."

Pippin laughed with the delight of a child who has stumbled upon the absurdity of grown-ups (or older cousins). "Then why is it here in the garden? I don't see any water."

"Because," Merry said evenly, "if it is good enough for a man to sleep in, it's good enough for a hobbit." He shook his head. "Honestly Pippin, don't you know a good chance for a nap when you see one?"

Pippin wrinkled his nose. "Naps are for babies," he protested. "We should be playing, or swimming, or fishing. Right, Frodo? Frodo?"

Frodo stood by the hammock, inspecting the intricately woven ropes and the securely tied knots almost in awe. "Where did your father find this, Merry?"

"Last month he and Uncle Mac came across some Big Folk travelling along the East Road," Merry explained. "They had just come from a Sea voyage, and had whole waggon full of strange things they were looking to sell. They had a bundle of hammocks, and Da just couldn't resist buying one."

"It would be a lovely place to read," Frodo said, smiling to himself. He patted his pockets, and when he discovered that he had no book at hand he nimbly clambered onto the hammock and stretched out in the exact center. "Or a good place for a nap," he added with a yawn.

"Frodo, not you too," Pippin exclaimed. Frodo yawned again and shrugged contritely, shutting his eyes as the hammock swung lazily in the breeze.

Pippin turned despairingly to Merry, but he was too busy climbing onto the hammock to notice. "Oi, don't go to sleep yet, Frodo. Move over first."

Both hobbits burrowed comfortably in the sagging hammock. Pippin looked from one cousin to the other. They seemed to be on the verge of falling asleep.

"What about me?" Pippin asked. Receiving no response, he insistently jabbed Merry in the side with one small, chubby finger. "Merry! Frodo!"

"Thought you didn't want to take a nap, Pip," Merry mumbled.

"'Naps are for babies,'" Frodo added sleepily.

"I didn't say that I wanted to nap," Pippin said quickly. "I just, well, I want to see what a hammock is like. That's all." He dug his toes into the soft grass and waited.

Merry cracked open one eye and glanced over at Frodo, who had done the same. Both of them were trying hard not to laugh.

"Well," Merry said at last, "I suppose there is enough room for you. What do you say, Frodo?"

Frodo studied Pippin for a long moment. "All right," he replied, yawning hugely. "Help him up, Merry. And don't tip us over."

Pippin grinned as he was lifted onto the hammock, then he scrambled over Merry to settle between his cousins, tucking himself neatly against their sides.

"Well? What do you think?" Merry asked.

"I like it," Pippin said. He squinted up at the sunshine glinting through the leaves overhead and stretched out his legs, causing the hammock to rock slightly. "Can we swing?" he asked suddenly. "Can hammocks swing, Merry?"

"A little," Merry replied. "Not like a proper swing, of course." He yawned enormously and gestured to Frodo. "But I don't think our cousin would like it if we started swinging now."

Pippin glanced at Frodo, who lay with his arms pillowed beneath his head and his mouth half-open. He was fast asleep

Shaking his head, Pippin turned back to Merry, whose eyes were growing heavier by the moment.

"It is an awfully good place for a nap," Merry said almost apologetically. His eyes slipped shut.

Pippin struggled to suppress a yawn. "I'm not tired."

"Me neither," Merry agreed. In moments he had dozed off, and Pippin was trapped between his two sleeping cousins.

Pippin glanced from side to side and sighed. The sunlight was making his eyes grow heavy, and he yawned again and snuggled close. Maybe he would close his eyes, just for a little while…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List