Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Rhapsody's ramblings  by Rhapsody

Maglor's observation before they ride to war in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad (Battle of Unnumbered Tears).



It is Midsummer Day, the day my brother and Fingon agreed upon to attack our enemy. I just want to wait a little longer before I fasten my helm and join my men. The wind plays with the red plume of my helm, small dust clouds sweep over the plains of Anfauglith. I watch how Celegorm and Curufin gather their men, Amrod and Amrad theirs. Caranthir joins me and together we await the signal coming from Fingon. My eyes fall on Uldor, who is behaving suspiciously. Then our banner rises, Maedhros follows suit. The beacon remains unlit: the enemy approaches.


Author notes:

Regarding Maglor’s helm and red plume:

“And Fëanor made a secret forge, of which not even Melkor was aware; and there he tempered fell swords for himself and for his sons, and made tall helms with plumes of red. Bitterly did Mahtan rue the day when he taught to the husband of Nerdanel all the lore of metalwork that he had learned of Aulë.”
(The Silmalrillion, Chapter 7, Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor)

Written for the OSA Drabble Challenge #24: The Silence Before the Storm





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List