Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Leaving Lórien  by shirebound

LEAVING LÓRIEN

Chapter 4 -- Gimli

Young Peregrin seems rather shocked to discover how far he is from the Shire, but truly I am farther even from my home than the hobbits are from theirs. I have come so much farther than I assured Elrond and my father I would.

I need to tell my people what I have discovered here, here where I never expected to be, where certainly no Elf ever expected a Dwarf to be. And without the grace of the Lady I would be at the border still, denied entrance to this land and as yet ignorant and blind. Denied what I have discovered. Of all possible things I thought I might encounter on this journey, this is the last I would have ever imagined. It will be a difficult thing to convince my people, and I fear there is not much time left. She has touched my heart and removed all mistrust. The suspicion between Elves and Dwarves must end. I must help end it.

I want to return to my people. I must give an account of Khazad-Dűm, the ruin of so many hopes and dreams. Since I have not returned with news, even now certain among my countrymen may be planning their own expedition there; they must be warned to stay away.

All dead, all of them. I still grieve. I cannot weep in the manner of the hobbits, and I have no countrymen here to bring comfort to my heart. I now among all my folk have looked upon Durin’s Bane and I wonder, what else has yet to be awakened? How many more will die? The Shadow must be defeated. There must be an end to the darkness and the fear. I must help end it.

I am pledged to this Company, there is no turning back. I will do what I can. I see anew that all hope lies with the Ringbearer, who now has one less to protect him. We are greatly diminished.

How can I not go on? How can I not?

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List