Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Leaving Lórien  by shirebound

LEAVING LÓRIEN

Chapter 6 -- Boromir

We finally leave this place today. It’s difficult to know how long we’ve been trapped in this Elvish land, but it has been too long. I have been away too long, half a year at least. My father must despair of my ever returning to his side, but I am coming. And the Ring of Power is coming with me. This Halfling can no longer be permitted to stumble blindly south until he is slain and the Ring taken. The War goes badly, my city faces defeat. And here before me shines hope and power. Power! What do these Halflings know of our need?

The courage of Frodo Baggins is beyond doubt or question. I will forever honor him for coming so far, through so much, to confront things these Halflings could not have conjured in their darkest imaginings. Let the other three return to their little land, safe and sheltered from what warriors must do. The young one, Pippin, he still thinks they are on a grand adventure. It is good to know that such innocents yet live in Middle- earth; such as they should not be hurled into the darkness to be devoured and broken. Such folly.

There are none in this Company, in any Company, who have traveled past the borders of Mordor. We who defend the south know that the borders cannot be breached. Why does this Elvish Lady not warn them? She is to blame, she and the Lord of Imladris, and the wizard, for encouraging this hopeless quest. The Halflings do not know any better, how could they? They hear the wise give false hope, so they hope. They see that all fear to wield the One, so they also fear to do so.

Aragorn desires to come to Gondor, and I welcome it. King or no, I have no doubt his presence will inspire my people. I must persuade him to convince Frodo to come to Minas Tirith. How can there be any question that this is the wisest course? Why does he wait on the word of this Halfling for direction or counsel? Frodo spoke but rarely last night. I do not begrudge him his confusion and fear, but he must be persuaded to see that all hope lies with Gondor. The Ring must come to Gondor. It is coming, father. It is I who bring it to you. It is I who brings salvation to our people. You will look upon me and know what I have brought you. All will look upon me and know.

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List