Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 13 - Conversation

 

Legolas watched Rhinure walk amongst the gardens. From his window, he could see the entire garden and it seemed as if she was alone. No guard followed her, which greatly surprised Legolas. He had not thought they would have left her alone for a moment – Legolas had a feeling they would still stand guard on his wedding night, in the wedding chamber itself. The thought made his flush slightly – as did the thought of the wedding.

 

Legolas supposed the disquiet he felt whenever he looked at Rhinure was better than the blind panic he felt before – sometimes.

 

Still, what was she doing in the garden?

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Rhinure strolled amongst the flowers, not seeing the opening buds, which were still beaded with dew. She was only aware of the solitude that wrapped around her; it had taken some judicious arguing with Morion and Ehtewen to convince them to let her walk in the garden alone. Istion had not bothered, he had recognised the set of his Lady’s jaw.

 

Rhinure reminded herself to reward Istion for that. She had no doubt that her Guard were lurking somewhere nearby – as was their duty. Rhinure knew that and accepted it – as long as they made themselves unobtrusive, she could have her illusion of privacy. “It is a beautiful morning, is it not, my Lady?” Legolas’ voice shattered even this pale daydream. The elf moved as silently as an Avari, Rhinure had not heard him come behind her.

 

Ehtewen would flog her raw for that later.

 

“I suppose it is, my lord,” replied Rhinure, finally concentrating on her surroundings.

 

Legolas looked in surprise at Rhinure. How could she not notice the way the light hit the early morning dew, making everything sparkle? It was a beautiful morning, enough to make an elf feel glad he was alive. He kept looking at her; obviously she took no such pleasure from her surroundings.

 

Maybe she was still displeased because of the feast yesterday. Legolas was not sure exactly how, but he knew he had offended her. “My Lady, if I have caused you harm in any way then I am deeply sorry for that.” Legolas stepped forward looking deeply into Rhinure’s eyes, trying to convince her of his sincerity.

 

There was no such need; Rhinure could see the remorse and confusion in his eyes as soon as he had opened his mouth. His genuineness boiled out from him in great waves; waves which threatened to overwhelm Rhinure. She almost took a small step back from Legolas, needing to put some space between them. At the last second, she stopped herself, she would not let anyone overpower her, not even this Prince.

 

Legolas thought he saw a glimpse of panic in Rhinure’s eyes, but he must have been mistaken. For a second he thought she almost stepped back from him. What had he done to frighten her so? But by the time this thought had formed, Rhinure’s eyes had iced over again; freezing Legolas out.

 

Those eyes – so cold, so black. They reminded Legolas of a river in the winter – frosted over in the winter but churning in its depth. And like the winter, there was something beautiful in their stark barrenness.

 

 “So, my Lady, do you accept my apology?” Legolas asked, his voice nearly lowering to a whisper.

 

“No apology is needed, my Lord. You have not harmed me in any way.” Rhinure kept her voice matter of fact, despite the shade of disappointment that raced across those blue eyes.

 

Legolas turned away from Rhinure; she was obviously not going to accept his apology. Or explain what he had done wrong in the first place.

 

“My lord . . .” Rhinure’s voice caused him to look up at her again. “You did not cause me any harm,” Rhinure repeated; meaning what she said. What had happened last night had been irrelevant. It could not be changed, and nothing would be gained by dwelling on it.

 

Legolas nodded, but not believing her. For now, he would let it go. “Have you seen the gardens, my Lady?” he asked, knowing full well she had not. He had been watching her since she first stepped into the garden.

 

Rhinure shook her head, she had not been thinking of the gardens when she had meandered into them. All she had been thinking of was finding a place where she could think – alone. Now, it seemed that would not be.

 

“I would be my pleasure to show you around then, my Lady.” Legolas offered his arm to Rhinure.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

They spent the next hour wandering around the gardens, with Legolas pointing out some of the more exotic flowers and plants that Thranduil had planted. Rhinure listened patiently, but not with great enthusiasm. However, Legolas mused, she did not show much enthusiasm for anything. Talking to her reminded him of talking to a stone wall.

 

Rhinure’s mind wandered as Legolas pointed out another flower to her. It was easy enough to block out what he was saying, leaving her mind free to think of other, more important matters than the shrubbery. Every once in a while, Legolas would stop and look at her, obviously seeking some response.  He was disappointed every time since Rhinure had no idea what to say. After all, they were hardly talking about something that required her input. It was best to let him speak, as he seemed determined to.

 

Today, Legolas was resolute about making Rhinure talk to him. Even if she seemed determined to block every attempt at conversation. She just did not take any of the innocuous openings he offered. He told her about his favourite flower, tree, shrub, time of the day, everything. But she only looked at him with blank eyes, not offering any information about herself at all.

 

Legolas suppressed a groan of frustration; he was going to run out of small talk soon. He made one last attempt, pointing to a cluster of graceful white flowers, he desperately said, “And these are very special, they were my mother’s favourite.”

 

Rhinure lifted up her head to look at Legolas, “Queen Eruante’s favourites? They would be, they are so fragile.”

 

Legolas was stunned, not only because Rhinure had actually responded to something he had said. “Did you know her?”

 

Rhinure shook her head, “I knew of her.” Then she fell silent, looking at the flowers, a faraway look on her face.

 

“It sounded like you knew her well, for you to pass such a comment.” Legolas insisted; getting the feeling that Rhinure was hiding something.

 

She focused in on his face, “Truly, my Lord. I hardly spoke more than two words to her.”

 

“But you spoke to her at least once? When?” Legolas absentmindedly tightened his grip on her arm.

 

Rhinure glanced down at his hand crushing her arm; holding it in place as if she would disappear on him. “Once, my Lord, I spoke to her once. When she came to visit my mother.”

 

“Why . . .?  Why did she . . .?”

 

“It is not important. It was a brief visit.”

 

Legolas opened his mouth to persist, but closed it again when he saw her face. He recognised the look – it was the one Arandur gave to him when he was displeased. Sure enough, Rhinure’s eyes had turned chilly. No longer were they dull, but they burned with a cold flame; warning Legolas that she did not want to talk about this subject any further. And that cold flame was suddenly matched by an answering anger in Legolas. She was hiding something, Legolas was sure of it – and he would find out what it was. He had to know, it was about his mother.

 

For a moment, both elves glared at each other, neither willing to give in, when a sheepish voice cut into the mounting tension.

 

“My Prince, the King would like to see you and Lady Rhinure in his chambers immediately.”

 

Legolas and Rhinure looked at the poor servant, almost causing the elf to run away. It was eerie how similar both faces looked at that moment – dangerous.

 

Legolas calmed himself down – there was no use glaring at the servant he had done no wrong. In fact, it was no use glaring at all; Rhinure seemed immune to his glowering. “Tell him we will be there as soon as possible.”

 

“My lord, he said it was important.” The servant persisted.

 

“We are coming.” Legolas repeated, struggling to keep his temper in check.

 

As the poor elf scampered off, Legolas turned and mockingly said, “So my Lady, it seems as we are summoned. Please let me escort you to the King.”

 

Rhinure cocked an eyebrow, “As you wish, my Lord. The King should not be kept waiting.”

 

“Indeed.”

 

Legolas almost marched off toward Thranduil’s chambers, not caring if Rhinure could keep up or not.

 

Naturally, she had no trouble in matching his pace, even if she had to walk faster than normal.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List