Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 14 - Pity

 

Thranduil sat in his chambers waiting impatiently for his son and new daughter-in-law to appear. What was keeping them, he asked himself for the tenth time?

 

*~ I hope they have not killed each other by now. ~* Thranduil had noticed the friction between Rhinure and his son. Though he had known that this marriage would be difficult for both of them, he had hoped for less antagonism between the two.

 

At least, he thought it was antagonism on Rhinure’s part. She was difficult to read at the best of times, inscrutable in most other times. It did not help that those three Avari of hers followed her around like oversized guard dogs. It was no wonder that Legolas was uncomfortable around Rhinure. Three menacing elves were more than enough to put a damper on any romantic advances – even if Rhinure were in a fit of complete madness to accept them. Not that Legolas was going to look at her in that fashion for a long time to come.

 

*~ Why must life be so complicated? ~*

 

Still, Thranduil hoped. Once day, no matter how long it took; Legolas would learn to love Rhinure. He had to, he must. He would learn to reconcile his duty with his heart. Thranduil had to believe that or he might lose his strength to see this plan to the end.

 

Mirkwood could not afford to see this alliance fall through.

 

Thranduil looked down at the map lying open on the table; orc activity had increased and they were getting bolder in their attacks. Mirkwood’s forces were barely managing to keep them at bay. If it were not for Avari help, Thranduil would not be able to protect the outlying villages. Despite all their assistance, Avari aid was too sporadic for Thranduil’s liking. They appeared and disappeared at will; turning up where required and leaving when the battle ended. They were like a shadow, always there in the corner of your eye but never clearly seen.

 

The situation was getting frustrating for Thranduil; he needed a more secure means of communication with the Avari forces and assurance that they would come when needed. Right now, Mirkwood’s commanders had to work with two plans; one that included Avari help and one that presumed they would be fighting alone. The lack of information, even about the numbers the Avari would bring, could prove dangerous. For now, Avari and Silvan efficiency had prevented massive loss of life but the situation could not continue.

 

Orcs were not skilled fighters, but Thranduil feared that even they would learn, given enough time. And then there was the threat of other dark forces moving into Mirkwood; Uruk-hai, Goblin-men and the ever-present spiders that preyed in the forest. Thranduil shuddered to think what would happen if the orcs were ever gathered into an organised force. Then it would not be skirmishes that Mirkwood faced but war once again – and Thranduil doubted Mirkwood’s capacity to win a war.

 

He started at the map – noting the number of settlements, the number of elves who were looking to him for protection. The time of the Elves might be ending, but there were still enough people for the King to worry about. Their immortality would do them no good when they fell under the sword.

 

Thranduil clenched his fist, he had lost two homes already to the Shadow, he would not lose another.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Legolas and Rhinure entered the room, to be followed by their respective bodyguards. Thranduil was sitting behind his desk, face lost in contemplation.

 

Legolas immediately sobered up when he saw his father’s expression. Thranduil was worried and that gave Legolas pause. Beside him, Rhinure became alert as well. She recognised the look on the King’s face. It was the look of a monarch who worried about his people.

 

 “So you have finally decided to come?” Thranduil asked without looking at the two elves.

 

“Forgive us, my King. We were . . . detained.” Legolas looked at Rhinure, challenging her to say something to the contrary.

 

Rhinure did not rise to the bait; she was more interested in the open map that lay on the desk. Even from the distance, she could make out that it was a map of Mirkwood, “The raids have increased.” Her voice was quiet and certain.

 

Thranduil nodded, still not looking up.

 

Legolas gave up the last visages of his anger, and fully concentrated on his King, “The Home Guard is holding?”

 

“For now.”

 

“How long before the situation becomes critical?”

 

“It is already critical.” Thranduil finally looked into his son’s eyes.

 

“The Avari do not aid us?” Legolas asked, ignoring the way Rhinure stiffened.

 

“They do, but the help is erratic and unpredictable. They come and go as they please. Though they have always managed to turn up when needed, I wonder how long this . . . luck . . . will last.”

 

Legolas immediately understood the problem; no planning could be done until the Avari situation was handled. Until the marriage the Avari would be uncertain allies at best – this was not good enough.

 

“Then we must change it.” Legolas looked at Rhinure significantly.

 

“What would you have my Avari do, my lord?” She asked him, making sure that he did not miss the way she reminded him that Avari good will depended on her.

 

“Commit to us.” Legolas answered smoothly.

 

Rhinure tilted her head slightly in question, allowing Legolas to continue.

 

“We would like more information about Avari numbers, how many troops they can commit to the battle, all information they know about the enemy’s numbers. For starters.”

 

Legolas strode over to the map, quickly glancing it over; noting the places of the attacks.

 

Rhinure watched Legolas as he went over the map; finding it remarkable that this collected warrior was the same Elf who had been so angry in the garden. This Legolas was highly competent, and dangerous.

 

“Why do you presume that the Avari have better information than you about the enemy?” Rhinure chose to test this elf, piqued to see how far he could be pushed.

 

Legolas looked up, straight into Rhinure’s eyes, telling her not to take him for a fool. “The raids do not follow a pattern, and the fact that the Avari always ‘manage’ to appear in time suggests that either you have good information about the enemy.” Legolas smiled, like a predator who has smelled blood, “Or you have a spy amongst us, my Lady.”

 

“Or both, my lord.” Rhinure coolly looked into his face, giving away nothing.

 

Thranduil watched the two, noting Legolas’ skill with pride. He saw the way his son baited Rhinure; maybe there was hope after all for this marriage. He also noted the way Rhinure avoided rising to the bait and the way her erect posture challenged Legolas’ accusation.

 

At least, this marriage was not going to be dull.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Rhinure watched father and son look at her expectantly. This was why she was here; to forge an alliance between two very different people. Behind her, her Guard listened as carefully, to what she was going to say.

 

Rhinure had to tread carefully, she could not antagonise new allies but neither could she betray her people. Giving information about numbers and Avari strength would be premature. “Why do you not tell me of your plans, then I will consider giving you the information you ask for?” Rhinure said cautiously.

 

Legolas and Thranduil looked at each other, this was not going to be easy. Neither of them trusted the other to give out sensitive information.

 

Legolas turned to Rhinure, trying to fathom what she was thinking behind that cool façade. He held her black eyes with his blue ones, willing her to give in – to unbend, to trust. It was fruitless; she would not lose so easily. Legolas sighed and broke eye contact.

 

“Maybe we can start off with something . . . easier?” Rhinure suggested. Legolas’ head snapped up again – his heart filling with hope. “Maybe we can discern a pattern in the raids and then we can decide of the best course from there?”

 

Legolas nodded, and moved slightly to the side; inviting Rhinure to stand next to him and look at the map.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

The three elves spent the next few hours analysing the pattern and intensity of the raids. Not much was said but the beginnings of a tentative trust were forged. Rhinure watched as Legolas and Thranduil discussed how to rebuild the settlements that had been attacked, while she limited herself to only commenting on their future defence.

 

“It seems as if the attacks have been mainly concentrated on the farming communities,” Legolas commented.

 

“That would make sense – the orcs have probably exhausted their own food supplies,” Thranduil agreed.

 

“However, that does not bode well for us. We need the food from those villages,” Thranduil continued, a frown forming on his forehead.

 

 “We will need to increase the patrols around those villages, at least until the harvest comes in,” Rhinure said quietly.

 

Legolas glanced at her from under his lashes – she had said ‘we’. He smiled slightly.

 

“And how do you propose we do that, my Lady?” Thranduil asked, knowing the answer full well.

 

Rhinure took a deep breath, “The Avari will help.”

 

Thranduil nodded while Rhinure hoped inwardly that it would be as simple.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

 

Thranduil watched as Legolas and Rhinure argued about how the Avari ‘help’ should be implemented. At least, he watched his son rail at Rhinure and watched her become colder and colder. It was almost amusing, as she withdrew within herself, Legolas became angrier. He was almost shouting at her - almost. It reminded Thranduil of how young Legolas was in reality. He had the courage, the skills of an adult, maybe even more – but he still lacked the experience.

 

It was obvious to Thranduil that Rhinure would not respond to heated words or remonstrations. She had an admirable, almost frightening control over herself – and Thranduil could see why that would be frustrating for Legolas. He had always treated people with an openness and honesty that reflected his relatively secure upbringing. He just did not know how to deal with this silent maid in front of him.

 

Where he should have patient, he was intolerant; where he should have been silent, he was loud. It was no wonder that Rhinure retreated from him. Though Thranduil was sure she would not see as retreat. He smiled, for all her authority, she was a child in some ways still – she could not be many years younger than Legolas. Thranduil knew that it took great courage for one so young to lead her people. The Avari were an austere people, and so was their Sacrifice. Thranduil could only wonder what went inside his new daughter’s head and heart. What had led her to become Sacrifice? What pushed her into this new alliance?

 

Rhinure turned her eyes on Thranduil and he rocked back. Those eyes of hers were so empty that he felt like weeping. He had seen such as blankness in Arandur but no one this young should look like that. He felt a great urge to wrap his arms around this elleth and hold her until she thawed. He felt like telling her that there was no reason for her to hide, he would understand – even though he clearly did not. What had happened to this child?

 

Rhinure continued looking at Thranduil, until even Legolas realised that he had lost her attention. He faced his father, to find him staring at Rhinure with such pity in his eyes, that Legolas felt his heart squeeze. Thranduil looked at Rhinure as if he was seeing a fragile piece of crystal, which someone had carelessly cracked.

 

And Rhinure, obviously, did not appreciate it. Legolas could tell that she did not want Thranduil’s pity – she did not want forgiveness from anyone. Legolas was tempted to tell his father to stop looking at Rhinure like that; it was not helping matters any. But he remained silent; it was best to ignore it, otherwise it would bring Rhinure even more shame. But what had prompted the look in the first place? What was there to pity in her?

 

Rhinure silently told Thranduil to look away; she did not want, or need, his sympathy. She was proud of her life and did not need such condescension. She did not need any elf telling her that how she had lived and what she had done was a mistake, as Thranduil was doing at the moment. She was no brittle piece of glass, to be protected and smothered. She was Avari, she was Sacrifice – she had learnt to survive. And she would – at all costs, under any circumstances. What right did Thranduil have to pity her?

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Herenion watched the three royal elves indulge in their little glaring match. He sighed, why must they always complicate things so. Thranduil had obviously just realised that Lady Rhinure was a flesh and blood person, not some pawn to be moved in this game of power. Legolas was confused at this change in his father; not because he did not see Rhinure as a person but because he did not see her as weak. He saw her strength; it would take time for him to the flaw that a father saw so clearly.

 

And Lady Rhinure – he knew her so little, but even her could see that neither did she want the pity from the King, nor the antagonism from the Prince. She did not want any of this, but she would have to learn that emotional responses were part of Silvan life.

 

As integral as they were alien to Avari life.

 

Herenion had watched Arandur closely for hundreds of years now, and had taken great interest in watching Rhinure and her Guard. He had deduced that the Avari were an obsessively private people. They did not smile, they did not laugh – they did not unbend in each other’s presence. Or, Herenion mused, as he watched Rhinure’s Guard close around her, they did it with great subtlety. Their relations with each other was like a delicate water painting, painstakingly and slowly developed.

 

In comparison, Mirkwood life was like an oil painting – bold strokes and vivid colours.

 

It all got a but confusing, especially since the Avari were shockingly direct in other matters – the way Lady Rhinure had accepted Legolas’ accusation had floored Herenion. She was blunt almost to the point of rudeness – no nonsense and direct when need arose.

 

Life was not going to be the same around Mirkwood that was certain.

 

As these thoughts flitted around in Herenion’s mind – the room had fallen absolutely silent. The match was still going strong – and it was high time to end it.

 

“My King, evening approaches, and your presence will be required in the Hall.”

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List