Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 23 – Guests

 

Legolas rose from the floor. His legs were losing feeling and he felt it was time to depart.  He needed some time on his own. He smiled down at Rhinure; maybe there was hope yet.

 

*~ There is always hope, you should remember that. ~* Legolas admonished himself.

 

He bowed to her as she looked up at him silently, not moving from her chair. She doubted her ability to stand at this point and felt it to be more dignified if she remained seated. Legolas drained her, she had not felt so tired even after the battle with the orcs. She wondered if she would be able to survive after the bonding was complete. Would she be able to live with him as his wife without losing herself completely, without losing the control which she had so painfully won?

 

She watched as the handsome elf bowed, taking leave of her, asking if he could escort her to dinner. He was so different from any she had met before – he was a bright light thrown in her dark, comfortable world. She was unsure how to deal with his changing moods.  He would laugh at something she said and then become angry with her for no reason. Mercurial Legolas was so much harder to manipulate than Prince Legolas. In some ways, she welcomed his dangerous cold moods because they were so similar to her own. Those she understood and could use – these other, brighter moments just confused her.

 

And if she was being honest with herself, these moments of tenderness that he forced upon her and from her were frightening. They made her lose focus of what was important – honour, duty, obedience. Emotions had no part to play in any of this; Legolas himself had made that clear. She had to remember – her people were depending on her strength. She could not fail.

 

Before he left, Legolas could not help asking, “My Lady, if these vows are so severe then why do you swear them? Was there not a less … drastic option you could have taken?”

 

Rhinure cocked a brow, not believing that Legolas has actually asked her that question. Was she that incomprehensible? “Because to offer anything less would have been dishonourable.”

 

*~ And would you have accepted anything less? ~*

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

An uneasy peace settled over Mirkwood with Legolas and Rhinure avoiding each other as much as possible. Legolas could not face her until her had resolved his own feelings, and Rhinure preferred staying away from him – it was more comfortable for both.

 

However, neither could deny that their wedding was coming closer; even days spent in denial still passed. Minutes flowed into hours, which blended into the inevitable days. A week left to the wedding became two days no matter where else Legolas and Rhinure directed their thoughts.

 

Thranduil watched their little dance with trepidation. He saw the thickening tension and he despaired of the two ever finding common ground. They seemed to take great pleasure in taking one step forward and then two steps back. It seemed as if the Valar themselves has taken a hand in the couple’s fate. After all, it had to be cosmic irony that his daughter-in-law turned out to be as stubborn as his son.

 

Thranduil watched as Rhinure let Legolas avoid her, let him be silent in her presence. Her inaction was as telling as Legolas’ active evasion. She seemed content to let things between Legolas and herself to remain at this formal and ultimately superficial level. Thranduil could not help but wish that Rhinure had been more pliable, gentler, more like a normal Silvan maiden. Such a maiden would have appealed to Legolas’ chivalrous instincts – he would not be able to ignore such a maiden as easily as he could the more self-sufficient Rhinure.

 

Of course, Thranduil was honest enough to admit that a more pliable Rhinure would also have been easier to control. He had not missed the almost fanatical loyalty she commanded from her people. She was the key to the Avari; if only he could bend her to his will, he would have the Avari exactly where he wanted them.

 

He would have to encourage Legolas to try harder to win Rhinure’s trust. After all, there were only two days left to the wedding. It would not do for the bride and groom to ignore each other after the ceremony.

           

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Thranduil did not have to look far for Legolas; he just walked as far away from Rhinure as possible. Today, that happed to be the archery fields.

 

Thranduil watched Legolas practise – his son truly was a gifted warrior. His time with the Fellowship had sharpened his skills to an uncanny level. Even Thranduil’s sharp eyes had a hard time following the flight of Legolas’ arrows. However, Thranduil did notice the almost desperate set to Legolas’ shoulders, the way his hands shook ever so slightly when he clutched his bow. Thranduil watched as Legolas missed the centre of the target, it was not by much but it was enough to confirm the prince’s agitation.

 

Legolas sighed. He would not let a mere female break his concentration – even if the maiden was the most disquieting creature he had ever met. He shook his head, hoping to clear it. How could he face Rhinure again after he had made a fool of himself in front of her? He had almost broken down in front of her after accusing her of lying to him. Even thinking about it now made his cheeks burn in shame.

 

If she thought him weak he would not blame her. He thought himself weak and unworthy. The fact that Rhinure always maintained her composure only compounded the problem. She was so cool, like fresh snow on the first day of winter – he felt so inept around her. When her black eyes looked at him, he thought he saw accusation and disgust in them. He could not bear it and so he avoided her.

 

*~ Perfect, so now I am not only a fool I am a coward as well. ~*

 

Legolas notched another arrow, trying to concentrate on what he was aiming at, though he did have to remind himself what that was exactly – ah yes, the target.

 

“You know, ion nín, handling sharp weapons when you are thinking of an elleth is not a sensible idea.”               <My Son>

 

Legolas spun around at his father’s voice, barely remembering to lower his bow. He did not think his father would appreciate having an arrow pointed at him, no matter how much he loved his son.

 

Ada, how long have you been standing there?” Legolas prayed that he had not spoken aloud, the situation was embarrassing enough.

 

“Long enough, if you did not hear me. Does she distract you so much, little one?”

 

“Who do you speak of, Ada?”

 

“You know, my son, I did not become King by being unobservant.” Thranduil’s eyes twinkled. He did not remember the least time he had teased his son so. “I ask again, does she distract you so much?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Now we are getting somewhere. Why?”

 

Legolas turned away from his father; how could he explain when he was not sure himself? “Because I am ashamed of the way I behave around her,” Legolas said very softly.

 

Thranduil blinked. This was not the answer he had been expecting or hoping for. He put a comforting hand on Legolas’ shoulder, squeezing gently, “You have nothing to be ashamed of, little one.”

 

“Why are you so sure, Ada? Why is everyone so sure about who I am, what I am, except me?”

 

Thranduil guided Legolas to a seat nearby, tenderly forcing him to sit beside him. “Now, please start from the beginning.

 

“Rhinure and I had a … conversation a few days ago.”

 

Thranduil kept silent, letting Legolas take his time in explaining.

 

“It did not go well.”

 

“Did you argue?”

 

“No.”

 

“Did she say something to upset you?”

 

“Not exactly.”

 

“Then what wounds you so?” Thranduil was thoroughly confused now.

 

“She was gentle with me,” Legolas sighed, remembering how she had comforted him when he had broken down in front of her. “It is not important what she said or even what I said. I lost control and she supported me. She helped me.”

 

“And that bothers you because …?”

 

“Because she saw me when I was vulnerable.”

 

*~ So proud, my little Elfling. ~* Thranduil had to suppress the smile forming on his face; he did not think his son would appreciate the humour in this situation. “Is this why you avoid each other?”

 

“Yes. You think there could be some other reason?” Legolas asked when he saw Thranduil’s sceptical look.

 

“Did you think that she could be as … embarrassed by her behaviour as you are by yours?”

 

Legolas frowned, the thought had obviously not occurred to him.

 

“I do not think tenderness is any easy emotion for Rhinure to deal with. The fact that you elicit such a response from her must disturb her.”

 

Legolas thought about what his father has said. Could he have the same unsettling effect on her that she had on him? He doubted it; either way she controlled herself better.

 

Thranduil noted the stubborn set of Legolas’ jaw – his son was not going to let go of his self-pity anytime soon.

 

*~ Most children would be glad to accept any excuse they are offered. Why must you insist on clutching your faults closely to your heart? ~*

 

“My son, if Rhinure had broken down in front of you, would you have held it against her?”

 

*~ However, unlikely that seems. ~*

 

“Of course not!” Legolas was almost affronted that his father could ask such a question.

 

Thranduil raised his eyebrow, not saying anything until his point sank into Legolas’ head. He had the great satisfaction in seeing his son colour; he missed catching these looks on Legolas’ face. It reminded him of the child that still lingered inside of this strong warrior Prince.

 

“But … Ada …”

 

“No buts, come walk with me. I have missed you, little one.”

 

Legolas smiled, walking with Thranduil was a good idea. Any time spent with his Ada was a wonderful idea.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“So where shall we walk today, princeling?” Thranduil asked.

 

“Anywhere except the gardens. I have seen enough of them to last me two lifetimes.”

 

Thranduil chuckled knowing full well why Legolas had been frequenting the gardens so often lately. “Then we shall walk towards the Gates. I want to see if the preparations there are complete.”

 

“As you wish.”

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“I wonder what all the commotion is about?” Legolas frowned when he saw the unnecessary movement amongst the guards. They were plainly excited about something and not even Arandur’s scowl could calm them into impassivity. It must be something highly unusual; probably good news since orcs and other monstrosities hardly got this much attention in Mirkwood.

 

“Shall we find out, my Prince?” Thranduil asked, smiling at his son.

 

“Good idea, Ada.”

 

“Arandur, what news?” Thranduil called out to his Captain.

 

Arandur saluted his King, and scowled at a fidgeting guard. The young elf immediately came to attention, staring straight ahead. However, Legolas was amused to note that the elf started grinning as soon as the Captain’s back was turned.

 

“Riders approach the Palace, my Lord. They carry the banner of the White Tower with them.”

 

*~ Gondor. ~*

 

“How soon will they be here?” Legolas asked a shade excitedly.

 

“Now, my Lord.”

 

And with that, the Gates opened to admit a long column of riders.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Legolas spun around and sure enough the riders were carrying Gondor’s flag. His face brightened when he saw Faramir riding at the front.

 

“Faramir!” Legolas bounded down the stairs, father and Captain forgotten.

 

Faramir slid down his horse, eager to greet his old companion. They clasped hands as Faramir said, “My King could not be with you in this time of joy, so I came in his place and at his request.”

 

Legolas smiled and shook his head, not really understanding what Faramir was saying.

 

“Your wedding? You are still getting married?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Elessar was very disappointed that he could not attend on such short notice. But he sent me instead, with clear instructions to thump you for this unseemly haste.” 

 

Legolas grinned, it sounded like Aragorn, “But … how?”

 

“You did not think that we would miss your wedding, lad, now did you?”

 

Legolas spun around at the sound of Gimli’s disgruntled voice. His face shone when he saw his dearest friend atop an Elven steed, struggling to get down.

 

“Gimli, you are here too?”

 

“Can you not see that Elf? Now help me down from this blasted horse.”

 

Legolas laughed and hurried to obey.

 

Thranduil watched this entire scene, glad to see his son happy, but not pleased at all to have a Dwarf in his Kingdom. His eyes narrowed when he saw Legolas clasp Gimli’s shoulder with obvious fondness.

 

“They are your guests, my Lord. You cannot change that now.” Arandur said quietly in his ear.

 

Thranduil looked at the Avari. “So she did it.”

 

“Of course, my Lord. Did you think otherwise?”

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

As Legolas saw to his friends, the Wood-Elves made the few human riders comfortable. Neither paid much attention to the dark riders that formed the majority of the company. They silently shrunk into the background, not making any fuss and clearly indicating that they needed no attention.

 

Unnoticed by Legolas, one of these dark figures detached himself from the rest and walked towards an alcove where Rhinure watched Legolas’ reunion.

 

Rhinure nodded at the figure, “Welcome back, Second Guard.”

 

Morion lowered his hood and brought his fist to his heart, “It had been done as you commanded, Mistress.”

 

Rhinure nodded once more and faded into the shadows, unseen by her laughing fiancée.

 

 x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List