Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 30 – Leave-Taking

 

Legolas sat with Faramir and Gimli in one of the many rooms in the Palace. He should have been concentrating on what his friends were saying, making the most of the time he had left with them, but all he could think of was Rhinure – and their conversation over dinner.

 

His blood still boiled at the thought of another elf touching his wife. In some dim recess of his mind, he knew that Rhinure had been speaking of a hypothetical situation – if she took someone to bed it would not be breaking her vow. However,  knowing her intent  did not help at all. The thought of someone touching Rhinure, holding her, kissing her …

 

*~ No. I will kill him first. ~*

 

As soon as Legolas had completed the thought, he pushed it aside feeling a little ill that he could even contemplate such an act against a fellow elf. He knew that he could never hurt another elf, be a Kinslayer. It was an abomination; evil in the truest sense of the word. Not even for Rhinure would he do that.

 

Which meant that Legolas would have to use other methods to keep other Elves out of Rhinure’s bed. More pleasant methods. Legolas mouth curled in a sinful smile, he was no fool – despite evidence to the contrary. He knew that the attraction he felt for Rhinure was mutual. He also knew that she was using it to tempt him, break him – nearly successfully. Maybe it was time to play a few games himself, see how far he could push this temptation between them. It would keep her mind off other elves at the very least.

 

Legolas’ smile broadened and his eyes glittered. He liked this idea very much.

 

Naturally he was just protecting his marital rights; this had nothing to do with the fact that he desperately wanted Rhinure. This was a game – only a game.

 

 x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

^We seem to have lost Legolas’ attention,^ Faramir commented to Gimli.

 

^Can you blame him? Despite all that he says, he misses that new wife of his.^

 

Faramir nodded, understanding what it meant to be away from one’s lady.

 

^In fact, his expression reminds me a little of yours when you think of the Lady Éowyn – completely dim-witted.^

 

Faramir chose not to take offence, though that might have been because the mention of Éowyn’s name was enough to lighten his mood.

 

^See there it is again,^ Gimli gleefully chuckled.

 

This time, Faramir took a swipe at the Dwarf’s head.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

^You are very cheerful my friends?^ Legolas asked, finally noticing the human and the dwarf’s antics.

 

^You finally decided to join us, Prince?^ Gimli asked, all the while avoiding another of Faramir’s blows.

 

Legolas shrugged, not bothering to answer Gimli. ^So, what were you to laughing about?^ he asked again.

 

^About the inane expression Faramir gets on his face whenever he thinks of his fiancé.^

 

Legolas smiled, just a little too brightly for Gimli to be convinced. Reminding Legolas of what Faramir and Éowyn shared was probably not the most sensible thing to do But then no one had ever accused a dwarf of being sensible. Legolas would have to learn to appreciate what he had and not yearn after what he could not have. Gimli was not about to watch his tongue just because Legolas had married the wrong Elf.

 

^I too have noticed it. It is most disconcerting – I had never imagined such an intelligent man behaving so … shall we say foolishly?^

 

Faramir managed an affronted expression when all he wanted to do was laugh. It was no secret that he loved Éowyn, more than he would have thought possible. Even now, a part of him missed her – she was his home.

 

^You are doing it again, human,^ Gimli loudly whispered,  causing the three friends to laugh.

 

No one mentioned the pain in Legolas’ blue eyes – it would fade with time.

 

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Rhinure sat in her room, brushing her hair with one of the many gifts she had received from Mirkwood’s nobles. It was a lovely silver brush with long, soft bristles , Rhinure had looked at it for a while, unsure whether to use it or not. It had seemed too perfect to be used for such a mundane task as brushing her hair. But she had picked up the handle nevertheless – it was so light. She had tentatively loosed her hair and run the brush trough it. It had slid though the long locks like water over silk. Rhinure enjoyed the feeling – she continued brushing her hair in lingering stokes,the motion was almost hypnotic.

 

Almost as good as Legolas burying his face in her hair.

 

Rhinure’s hand stilled for a moment, remembering what he had felt like under her fingers – like holding sunshine. But she was distracted for only a moment; she quickly started brushing her hair again.

 

If her strokes were a little more violent than before she did not notice.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

^I will miss you both, my friends,^ Legolas said quietly, laughter quieting to sorrow.

 

^As will we. But we must return,^ Faramir said gently.

 

^I know, but it does not make your leaving any easier.^

 

^ You would think we were dying or something. We are going to see each other again Elf. Many, many times. Count on it. I, for one, am not leaving you in peace for long.^ Trust Gimli to lighten the mood with his true words.

 

^And you will see us very soon at my wedding,^ Faramir pointed out.

 

Legolas’ face instantly brightened, ^And we all know that it will be soon.^

 

^Or Lady Éowyn will hang him from the highest tree.^

 

Faramir laughed along with Gimli and Legolas knowing that to be the unvarnished truth.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Morion watched as Rhinure bundled up her hair in a tidy knot.

 

“So you keep guard outside my room tonight?”

 

“Yes Mistress. Ehtewen wanted a more … relaxing watch tonight.”

 

Rhinure arched an eyebrow.

 

“She wants to watch the Prince pace outside your balcony,” Morion answered to the unspoken question.

 

“I do not think he will be pacing outside tonight.”

 

“Do you think he will join you then?” Morion asked, not embarrassed at all about talking of such matters with Rhinure. He had known her too long; even now he could remember her as a small, tired elfling with more determination than was good for her.

 

Rhinure did not answer the question immediately; thinking of the way Legolas has looked at her over the table. The way his fingers had tightened around her wrist, digging into her flesh, leaving marks on her skin. Those marks had branded her as his as surely as his words did. Even now, thinking of the way his eyes had sliced into hers made her shiver a little – it was a delicious feeling, belonging to one person and knowing it. She should have been angry at his presumption, she should have been annoyed at his ordering her – but in the end it was the truth. Only one Elf would make love to her and it would be Legolas – at least if she had anything to say about it.

 

“No, I do not think he will join me.”

 

“Then he is a fool.”

 

“Second Guard, you forget yourself.”

 

“Mistress, I speak the truth. You are beautiful, any Elf would be pleased to have you in his bed.”

 

“Prince Legolas is just different,” Rhinure said carefully.

 

Morion did not say anything; he did not understand why Legolas held back. To his mind, Legolas was a fool, and he was not about to apologise for something he believed – not that Rhinure expected an apology. She was just reminding him that just because he believed in something, it was not always sensible to voice that opinion.

 

“Well, he is certainly possessive,” Morion commented.

 

“You heard what he said to me tonight.” It was not a question.

 

“Yes, we took an interest when he seized your wrist. You were right, Mistress; he is not one to be crossed. He is dangerous. However, I can understand why he would not want to share you.”

 

“Really?”

 

“You are lovely, beta. Anyone would be proud to be your bed-mate, especially your first.”                (Child.)

 

Morion tucked in a loose strand of Rhinure’s hair, “And any Elf would fight to keep you as his bed-mate. Even one such as Legolas.”

 

“You really believe this … chachu?”             (Paternal uncle – familiar tone)

 

“I know so,” Morion said as he left the room, remembering a small child with beguiling black eyes.

 

“Goodnight, Mistress.”

 

Shub-a-khair, Second Guard.”             (Good night)

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

The morning dawned clear and saw Faramir and Gimli getting ready to depart the Woodland Realm. This being Mirkwood it was sensible that they get an early start and travel in the Sun as much as possible. It would take them about two days to get out of dangerous territory and no one wanted to prolong danger more than necessary.

 

Legolas helped his friends prepare for the journey, though he did it with a heavy heart. He insisted on accompanying them to the borders, two days fast ride, a journey he had made many times. He would be perfectly safe, and so would they if they travelled with the Prince’s Company.

 

^I am still not comfortable with your coming with us, Legolas. Please reconsider,^ Faramir insisted, while saddling his horse.

 

^I will be fine, you seem to forget that I have been doing this a lot longer than you have.^

 

Faramir chuckled, ^It is your fault. If you did not look so damn innocent we might take you more seriously.^

 

^Innocent? Him? Bah! I only hope we do run into a few orcs. I want to try out my new axes. Otherwise more days in his company will be unbearable.^ Gimli swung his new weapons trying out their weight.

 

^Then maybe it is best that Prince Legolas does not come with you, Master Gimli.^ The three men turned at the sound of Rhinure’s voice. Legolas frowned, noting that she was dressed in her black Avari tunic.

 

“My lady, should you not be inside?”

 

“No, my Lord, I should not. I need to make preparations too.”

 

“For what?” Legolas kept his voice calm thought he knew the answer.

 

“I am coming with you.”

 

Legolas first reaction was to say no, but he managed to restrain himself. He did not think that Rhinure would take that very well. “My Lady, it will be too dangerous for you.”

 

Rhinure looked at him with cold eyes, “Really my Lord? Would you care to explain why?”

 

He pondered how to answer that, especially since Rhinure’s hand were suspiciously close to her daggers? “My Lady, I would not want to risk you by putting you in a dangerous position.”

 

“But you would do that yourself, Prince Legolas?”

 

Legolas winced, why did he not just say that he did not want her to come? He did not want her anywhere near danger.

 

“My Lord, I am coming with you.” Rhinure’s voice was final. “I am Sacrifice, I will lead the Avari company till the end of Borders and then will turn back, with you.”

 

“The Avari company?”

 

“The Avari brought your friends to Mirkwood, we will escort them back.”

 

Faramir watched this exchange with interest. His instinctive reaction was to abhor the thought of women going to battle but Éowyn had taught him better. Anyway, he had seen the Avari women handle themselves in battle before. He did not doubt that Rhinure would be in no danger – well, as much danger as they were. He saw the way Rhinure held herself, a warrior poised to attack – maybe she would be in less danger than they would.

 

“My Lady, …” Legolas prepared to argue with Rhinure but she turned away. She was coming, it was time that Legolas learned that she could handle herself in all situations.

 

^I guess we have another companion with us,^ Legolas finally managed.

 

^The lady comes with us?^ Gimli asked

 

^How did you figure that out?^

 

^I have seen determination before. And I doubt you would have been so upset otherwise.^

 

^She will be fine, Legolas. She can handle herself.^ Faramir tried to sooth the Elf.

 

^I am still uncomfortable with the idea. She is my wife.^

 

Faramir nodded, understanding Legolas’ frustrations.

 

^And stubborn just like you,^ Gimli added.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Faelon saluted Legolas when the Prince emerged from the stables. “Everything is ready, my Prince. We can ride out now.”

 

The Prince’s Company has gathered in the courtyard, all twelve of them mounted on Elven steeds. Next to them were a few humans from Gondor.

 

“My Lord, should we not have more riders if we are to escort your guests back to Gondor?” Faelon asked.

 

“There will be no need for more, Lieutenant. The Avari will escort the humans and Master Gimli home,” Rhinure answered for Legolas.

 

Faelon turned to look at his Princess, mounted on her dark horse, black cloak tight around her. “My Lady, I see no Avari here. We should take more people with us, especially since you are with us.”

 

Faelon’s eyes rested on Ehtewen as well. *~ Ellyth travelling with us! We should take the entire Home Guard with us. ~*

 

Rhinure did not answer and when Legolas did not order more troops to mount, Faelon fell into formation. If Legolas trusted Lady Rhinure then so would he.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Thranduil wished Faramir a safe journey. He even managed a few polite words with Gimli, much to Legolas’ surprise.

 

“Safe journey, my Son.”

 

“Thank you, Ada. I will be back by tomorrow.”

 

Thranduil nodded, having confidence in his son. “Namaarie, nín ion.”             <Farewell, my Son.>

 

Behind them Arandur said his own farewells to Rhinure. There were no farewells or concerns. Arandur knew that Rhinure would be careful and would take of herself. He was just giving her the information that the scouts had gathered on orc movement.

 

“It is unlikely that they will bother attacking once the Hunters join the Company.”

 

Rhinure nodded, “They will meet us soon.”

 

Arandur saluted his Sacrifice as she turned her horse to rejoin the group.

 

Aapka norkar, Malkin.            <Your servant, Mistress.>

 

 x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

The first few hours out of sight of the Palace were tense ones, not because trouble was expected but because all could feel the tension between their Prince and Princess. Legolas was not happy that Rhinure had insisted on coming. Faramir and Gimli both realised that now was not the time to talk to him. And no one knew what Rhinure was feeling. Her eyes were blank as were her face. She did not look at Legolas but kept her eyes trained on the terrain in front of her.

 

As noon approached, the Company finally hit the deep part of the Forest, which forced them to slow their pace a little. Now was the time for caution, not speed.

 

Faelon took this opportunity to talk to Herenion, who rode in front of the Prince, “Herenion, we are too few in number.”

 

Herenion turned to look at the Lieutenant questioningly, “And how do you figure that?”

 

“Herenion, the Prince travels with us. And much more worryingly, so does the Princess. How can only 12 men protect the heir and his Lady?”

 

The question would have been valid if the Lady has been anyone other than Rhinure. “I do not think we will have to protect her if the need arises. She might protect us, but it is unlikely that she will prove a hindrance to us.” Faelon did not seem convinced. Herenion chuckled, “Maybe you should speak to Lady Rhinure yourself? She did say that the Avari would be joining us. If you are worried than you can ask her when they will arrive.”

 

Faelon looked over to where Rhinure rode with her three Guards. Did he dare talk to her, alone? He had not been mocking when he had said that the Avari were nightmares come to life. In the Shadows under the trees, they looked sinister.

 

 “Are you frightened of her, Lieutenant?” Herenion asked lightly.

 

Faelon squared his shoulders, he was not frightened of anything, especially not some elleth. He ignored Herenion’s laughter as he rode towards his Princess.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“My lady, if I could have a word with you?”

 

Rhinure turned to look at the young Elf, almost causing him to turn back. Her eyes were so cold.

 

“What do you wish to speak of, Lieutenant?”

 

Faelon gathered the remnants of his tattered courage and said, “My lady, you said that the Avari would be joining us. I was wondering how many and when that would be?”

 

“There should be thirty-five in total. Eight will accompany us back to Mirkwood while the rest will take Lord Faramir and Lord Gimli home. Is that acceptable to you?”

 

Faelon was not sure whether Rhinure was mocking him or not; she was difficult to read. He suddenly felt like he was facing Captain Arandur – it was not a comforting thought. He could not remember why he had thought that Lady Rhinure would be a burden, all she had to do was stare at any orc like that and it would run away screaming.

 

“My Lady, when will they be coming?”

 

“They are already here, Lieutenant.” Rhinure made a signal with her hand.

 

 x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Legolas calmed his horse, which still trembled in shock. He looked around to see that his entire company was surrounded by dark figures – it seemed as if the Avari were waiting for them. Gimli swore, not comfortable with these shadows given form. Even Faramir was surprised.

 

Rhinure rode forward and a figure detached himself from the Avari circle. “Erutunín.”

 

“Mistress.” The Avari lowered his hood and saluted Rhinure.

 

“Was there any trouble?”

 

“None, we have scouts along the area anyway. Oh, we did find these. Thought they might belong to your Prince, so we decided to bring them back.”

 

Rhinure turned to see two Avari guards bring the Silvan scouts forward. The Wood-Elves were not happy, but they complied, if only because blades were held to their throats.

 

Shabaash”                 <Well-done.>

 

Legolas kicked his horse forward, not happy to see his Elves held against a blade. “My Lady, what is the meaning of this?”

 

“A simple exercise, my Lord. I wished to see how well your scouts would perform.”

 

Legolas fists clamped down on his reins, Rhinure’s displeasure was clear from her tone, “They did not do particularly well.”

 

Legolas had to bite back a sharp retort along the lines of that the ambush was unexpected, especially from other elves. It would have made him seem childish – no enemy would give fair warning before attacking; his scouts should have done better.

 

Legolas went back to his own Company, now overshadowed by the larger Avari force. Each Wood-Elves’ eyes burned at the slight against them. They would not forget soon.

 

Rhinure watched all of them, eyes penetrating each and every one and finally resting on Legolas. She did not say anything, she had made her point.

 

*~Do not forget that we fight the darkness. Be alert or you will fail. ~*

 

The Avari formed an outer perimeter against the Wood-Elves, taking flanking positions. Legolas could not help but think that it was a slight against his Company’s abilities.

 

He held Rhinure’s cold eyes with his as she raised her hood. Soon she was another non-descript Avari in a sea of black. He had forgotten in the last few days who she was – Avari, Sacrifice.

 

*~ I will not forget again ~*

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List