Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 29 – Games

 

Legolas left Thranduil’s chambers more confused than ever. Had he made a mistake by refusing Rhinure? His body still screamed yes, but he ruthlessly suppressed it. He had to keep a clear head if he was going to think this through.

 

The last few years had changed him; made him numb to the things around him. No longer did he take much joy in that around him. He had friends and family that he loved intensely but his heart yearned for other things – love, companionship, the Sea. All were denied to him because he still had obligations to fulfil. He was bound to Middle Earth whether he wanted it or not – and it felt like dishonesty to himself.

 

Marrying Rhinure was another betrayal in along list of betrayals – a betrayal of himself and all he believed in. He had never thought that he would marry someone he did not love. To forge that life-long, respected bond because of duty seemed cold and in the end completely wrong. Legolas’ mind knew the reasons why this marriage was needed, he even agreed with it intellectually but his heart persisted in dissenting.

 

And then he had met Rhinure, and his dissention flamed into full-fledged revolt against misery. While she was not what he had dreamed off, yearned for all his long life, she was someone he could come to care for. He knew that, believed that with all his heart. Despite all that he had imagined long his heart hoped again, it struggled to heal after all the pain it had suffered throughout his life – the loss of his mother, the constant fighting against the darkness, the death of loved ones. This feeling of expectation was delicious and it frightened Legolas. He was afraid of losing it all again to despair. He did not want to lose the potential he saw in his marriage – his marriage, his wife. The words were still strange on his lips but not uncomfortable anymore.

 

Life was new again, it was dazzling again – and it took a Dark Elf to show him that. Maybe it was the fact that Rhinure had so little light around her that Legolas was reminded how bright life could be. She had so little joy that it made Legolas appreciate it all the more. But it was such a fragile feeling; she still confused him, frightened him. She could be so cold sometimes that he was afraid that he would lose himself to that winter. He was afraid of her indifference seeping into him and stealing the joy she had given him.

 

It was all very confusing for him, the fact that she could make him feel so alive one moment and so numb the next. Which is why he wanted to take things slowly, navigate slowly around her. She was like a reef, deceptively calm but full of jagged rocks – dangerous yet  beautiful.

 

As if this emotional battlefield was not confusing enough, his reaction to her – elf to elleth, made the whole situation unbearable. It was as if his entire being was being pulled, nay ripped, in two directions. One part of him, a suspiciously shrinking part, wanted to take his time, nurture what he already had – the stirrings of respect and tenderness. The other, very insistent part of him, wanted nothing more than to drag Rhinure to his bed and keep her there – for a long time.

 

That reaction in itself disturbed Legolas. The very fact that he could be thinking such thoughts of an elleth, any elleth appalled him. It was such a … human feeling – out of control and primal. It did not suit the calmer, more introspective Firstborn.

 

At least that is what he kept telling himself while trying to be rational and calm. Then thoughts of Rhinure beneath him would drive all coherent thought out of his mind.

 

Legolas groaned, why was life never simple?

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Legolas finally made it back to his chambers, ready to collapse onto his bed and sleep. Maybe that would drive all thoughts of her out of his mind. He doubted it but it was worth a try.

 

Legolas was just about to remove his tunic when he heard a light tapping on his window. He frowned, not sure who would be at his balcony. Then it hit him – it was probably Rhinure. Should he open it or pretend to ignore it?

 

The tapping became more insistent. Ignoring it was no longer an option. Maybe he could pretend he was asleep.

 

“My lord, I know you are in there.” Rhinure’s voice came in clearly through the window.

 

So he could not pretend he was asleep. He would have to open it.

 

Sure enough, Rhinure stood on his balcony, calm and composed. She was wearing black again, Legolas was quick to note, but her hair was unbound and spilled down her back. A light breeze gently ruffled it and Legolas wondered if she would mind if he touched it, ran his fingers through it – only to detangle it, smoothen it into place.

 

Rhinure raised a brow when he kept looking at her, not moving, not letting her enter the room. “My lord, are you going to invite me in?” she finally asked, when it became clear that he was not going to speak.

 

Legolas hastily stepped aside, not taking his eyes off her, *~ Why was she here? ~*

 

“Certainly, my lady. Please forgive me for being so remiss.”

 

Rhinure entered Legolas’ rooms for the first time, more curious than she thought normal, to see what they looked like. They were similar to hers, less feminine but still done in silver and green – more green than silver, Rhinure was intrigued to note. His bow and arrows hung on the wall, unstrung but even from the distance, Rhinure could tell that the string was well oiled and the wood shone. Legolas obviously cared for it well. On the table below the bow, Legolas’ daggers gleamed, unsheathed in case of trouble.

 

It was a warrior’s room – clean with everything in place. But at the same time, it was a beloved room as well. Rhinure noted drawings of Thranduil and Legolas on one side, next to some small ornaments.

 

Rhinure turned to look at the rest of the room and was amused to observe that Legolas’ formal robes were carelessly thrown on the bed. Maybe he was not so Spartan as the rest of the room suggested.

 

Legolas watched Rhinure inspect his room, watching her move around in his room, silently touch his daggers, brush her fingers against the pictures he had on the side. He did not speak or offer any explanations despite the fact that she looked at him questioningly once or twice, obviously looking for some history to go with some of the objects. He let her inspect his living area but was not about to offer an explanation for anything.

 

He saw her take in the robes lying on his bed and for a moment, he thought he saw amusement in her eyes. He should be wearing them but he felt more comfortable in his tunic and trousers. He had taken the robes off as soon as he had entered his room after his morning with Thranduil.

 

Rhinure bent down slightly to touch the soft looking fabric, her hair parting across her back. Legolas eyes widened when he saw that her dress was open in the back. With her hair no longer covering it, he could see the stays on the back were untied, revealing her entire spine down to the waist.

 

Rhinure bent over the robes for a second longer, making sure that Legolas saw her dress, and then straightened letting her hair fall back in place, covering the white skin again. She was pleased to note the dismayed look on Legolas’ face.

 

“My lady, your dress …” Legolas was horrified to note that his voice was almost husky.

 

“Yes, what about my dress?” Rhinure asked casually.

 

“My lady, it seems to be opened in the back,” Legolas finally managed.

 

“Yes, so it is. Would you tie it up for me?” Rhinure stopped in front of Legolas, turning around so that her back was towards him. Slowly she lifted her hair to one side, letting Legolas see her back.

 

Legolas shook his head slightly; not comprehending what Rhinure had asked of him, “My lady?”

 

“Tie up the back for me. It is not that difficult, my lord.”

 

Legolas swallowed, having to exert all his will to keep his hands to his side. Rhinure’s uncovered back was more tempting than he would have thought. The skin seemed cool like the rest of her, and smooth. Legolas wanted to stroke it, push the dress aside, not tie it up.

 

*~ She is doing this on purpose. ~*

 

“My lady, you have maids to do this.”

 

“And?”

 

“You do not need me to do this.”

 

Rhinure lowered her voice, forcing Legolas to bend forward slightly to catch her words –bringing him closer to her. “My lord, I never said I needed you to do this. I want you to do this.”

 

Legolas raised an eyebrow, wondering if he should refuse. After all, playing with fire was dangerous and even he was not that unwise.

 

Rhinure looked at him over her shoulder, her eyes challenging him to do this. They mocked him.

 

*~Are you afraid of touching me, my lord? Are you so unsure of your self-control?~*

 

Legolas had never backed down from a challenge in his life and he was not about to start now. Looking straight into her eyes, he stepped forward placing his hands on her dress.

 

Rhinure turned back, pleased that she had read Legolas correctly. He was a proud elf, proud of his control and his bearing. Rhinure was going to enjoy breaking him.

 

Legolas quickly tied the first stay, needing to get the job done quickly. Then he could back away from Rhinure as fast as his legs would carry him.

 

*~ Coward, she is trying to unnerve you. Are you going to let her get away with it? ~*

 

Legolas was a Prince, not prone to backing down from an opponent, any opponent – even one as talented as Rhinure.

 

*~ If you want to play games, my Lady, then I am willing to oblige. ~*

 

Legolas ran a gentle hand against her back, needing to feel her skin. It was cool and smooth to the touch. He ran his hand against her spine, feeling the indentations under her skin.

 

Rhinure closed her eyes for a moment, and suppressed a shudder that Legolas’ touch evoked. Her plan was working – too well. Legolas’ touch was making her slightly dizzy. Rhinure had to concentrate fiercely to avoid turning around and throwing herself at him. He would only back away at such an onslaught; he had rejected her once, she was not about to give him another opportunity to do that.

 

If he wanted to take is slowly, then she would take slowly, until it killed him.

 

Legolas slipped his hand under her dress, and found her shoulder blades. “Are you tense, my lady?”

 

“Of course not, my Lord.”

 

“Then why are your shoulders so stiff?” Legolas asked while his hands kneaded her skin.

 

Rhinure leaned into his touch before answering, “My lord, my shoulders are always this stiff. If you had touched them before, you would have known that.”

 

If you had made love to me, you would know how my body feels.

 

Legolas swallowed, hearing the unspoken sentence clearly. It was time to re-group his senses. He quickly withdrew his hands and tied up the rest of the dress. As he stepped back from Rhinure, he had the strongest feeling that this was exactly what she had intended.

 

Rhinure turned around, stepping closer to Legolas. She put her hands on his chest and stood on her toes – to kiss his cheek lightly. “Thank you, my lord. It was much appreciated.”

 

Legolas was tempted to yank her hands off his body, but he knew that if he touched her at this point he would only end up kissing her. Rhinure watched as he got himself under control.

 

*~ This is going to take longer than I originally anticipated. ~*

 

“My lady, you are dressed … formally. May I ask what the occasion is?”

 

Rhinure raised a bow, “My lord, it seems as if you have forgotten. Lord Faramir and Master Gimli leave tomorrow. The King has planned a feast tonight in their honour.”

 

Legolas had forgotten. He vaguely remembered Gimli saying that they could not stay long, that they would have to leave soon after the wedding. But he had not imagined it was going to be this soon. He did not want them to leave. He would be alone then, alone with her.

 

Legolas did not know if that delighted or terrified him.

 

 “It seems to have slipped my mind. Thank you for reminding me, my Lady. If you will excuse me, I had better get ready.”

 

“Do you want me to help you, my Lord?” Rhinure asked.

 

Legolas shook his head, he needed Rhinure to leave – now. Before he lost control over himself.

 

Rhinure nodded, understanding.

 

*~ Maybe this will not take that long after all. ~*

 

 x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

^Faramir, Gimli, forgive me. I lost track of the time.^

 

Faramir looked up at his Elven friend, ^We understand, Legolas. After all, it is not every day that one can be a newlywed,^

 

Legolas grinned along with his friends, not wanting to tell them the truth for now. It was easier this way. Let them imagine that everything was okay between him and Rhinure.

 

^What is wrong, Elf? You look a bit sombre tonight?^

 

Legolas shook his head; it was easy to underestimate Gimli but the Dwarf could be perceptive at the most inopportune moments. Legolas made a mental note to ask Rhinure how she remained so inscrutable.

 

^It is nothing, my friend. I am sad at the thought that we will be parted tomorrow. I would have you stay longer.^

 

^As would we, Legolas. But we need to return. This trip was unplanned as it is. Next time we will come and stay for longer.^

 

Legolas clasped Faramir’s forearm, ^I will hold you to that. Now let us go in before my father sends the guards out for us.^

 

^And I know from personal experience that it is not a good idea to have Mirkwood Guards looking for you.^

 

Legolas laughed at Gimli’s remark, it was good to laugh.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Rhinure kept her gaze on the food in front of her even though she was acutely aware of Legolas’ entry. His laughter filled her ears, and she knew that if she looked up she would see two twinkling blue eyes.

 

She waited until he approached Thranduil before looking up, making it seem to all that she had just noticed his arrival and was completely unmoved by his presence.

 

Ada.

 

“Legolas, I hope you do not mind but I decided to place you friends next to you. I know it is a feast in their honour but I did not think they would want to be seated next to the King.”

 

Legolas smiled at this father’s consideration and nodded.

 

“I am also keeping your lovely wife to my right,” Thranduil smiled at Rhinure who kept her face impassive.

 

“I do not mind Ada, after all I am sitting next to her as well - to make sure you do not monopolise her too much.”

 

Thranduil smiled and turned to welcome his other guests.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

^Your Lady dresses very unusually,^ Gimli remarked, looking over Rhinure’s black dress and bound hair.

 

^I thought all Elves preferred … brighter colours and a less … severe style.^

 

Legolas appreciated Gimli’s circumspection but Rhinure was unusual and there was no hiding that fact, ^All Elves, except Rhinure.^

 

^It is probably an Avari trait,^ Faramir remarked thoughtfully. ^I have seen none of them dresses in anything but black.^

 

^Neither have I,^ Legolas said.

 

^What about Lady Rhinure in that green dress?^ Gimli asked playfully. ^Or have you already forgotten about that?^

 

Legolas has most definitely not forgotten Rhinure in that green dress. In fact, he was trying very hard not to remember it. It was very difficult when Rhinure was sitting next to him. When he had first noticed that she had her hair bound, his first reaction was relief. He did not like it when others saw her with her hair loose. It seemed too intimate an act for him to be comfortable with it. However, he then had to stop himself from letting down her hair and reassuring himself that it was as long as ever.

 

This, of course led him to more dangerous speculations. He should have been happy that the Rhinure sitting next to him looked like the Avari he had gotten used to, but all he could think about was how white her back had looked against that black silk.

 

^Of course not, Gimli. I remember but that was a special occasion. She had to wear that dress.^

 

*~ I wonder if she would have worn black if given the choice? ~*

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

As Legolas and his friends reminisced and gossiped about common friends, Rhinure allowed her attention to wander away from her husband.

 

Thranduil was talking to his advisor, so there was no claim on Rhinure’s attention and she could examine the rest of the Elves in the hall.

 

The various colour and jewels flashing around the room made an impressive picture. The Elven nobility radiated grace and beauty. Dark heads mingled with fair, but the common light that these Elves radiated made them all beautiful.

 

So beautiful, so innocent – all of these Elves. So unlike their darker cousins. The Avari were truly dark and Rhinure was beginning to realise that. They did not have this otherworldly elegance around them like a rich winter coat. They were practical, cold, like hard steel against this silken elegance.

 

Would this silk be able to stand against the steel? Or would the Avari taint everything they touched, as they always had? Would she corrupt Legolas, freeze his fire as she had done her own?

 

 Rhinure felt like a blind person who had been exposed to the light for the first time, without warning, without thought. And no Elf shone as brightly as this Prince next to her did. Would she dim his light as well?

 

Would he be able to survive what she took from him?

 

Maybe it was better that she look for another bed-mate for him. Give him something he would eventually want, but at the same time minimise the contact she had with him. Rhinure’s eyes scanned the crowd, looking over all the elf-maidens there. One of them would make a good bed-mate for her Prince.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Legolas slowly withdrew from the conversation so that he could talk to Rhinure. Though she had not said a word, he had felt her change. It was as if a river had frozen over and only the deep waters churned beneath.

 

He wanted to know why after the spending the entire evening, flirting with him, enticing him she suddenly pulled away. He missed the casual way she would brush his arm or his leg. The way she would look at him over her shoulder or way her mouth lingered over her glass. The first time Rhinure had delicately wiped some sauce off the side of her mouth, Legolas had almost choked on his food. The invitation in her eyes had not helped at all. He had almost bent his fork because of the death grip he kept on it. Even then, his mind had insisted on imagining how he would have licked the sauce off her mouth, slowly.

 

And now she sat there at attention, eyes scanning the crowds carefully. He wanted her to flirt with him again, he enjoyed it though it was also driving him insane.

 

Turning to his friends, he winked, indicating that he would like a private word with his wife. They smiled, understanding the impatience of newly-weds.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Rhinure was so lost in her contemplation that she almost did not hear Legolas’ question. Almost – but she was very conscious of how his warm breath fanned her sensitive ear.

 

“What do you think of so deeply, my Lady?” Legolas asked softly.

 

“On your bed-mate, my Lord,” Rhinure answered seriously but keeping her voice low so that only Legolas could hear her.

 

“On a bed-mate? Did I not make clear that only you would do, my Lady?”

 

Rhinure looked at Legolas, “Obviously not, my Lord. If I remember correctly, I spent the night alone.”

 

Legolas winced, she was not going to let him forget that any time soon. “That was not because I did not …”

 

Rhinure cut him off, “Yes, my Lord. I remember your argument. You wanted to take things slowly – with me. I was wondering if any of the ladies would be more to your liking. Someone who you would not want to take things slowly with.”

 

Legolas frowned, what was Rhinure suggesting. “My Lady, I will not take another elleth to my bed. I would not betray my marriage vows like that.”

 

“It would not be a betrayal of your vows, my Lord. If you wanted another bed-mate I would understand,” Rhinure re-assured him.

 

Legolas felt as someone has hit him in the stomach. His voice lowered even further, but it became colder, more menacing, “Would you expect me to be as understanding, if you chose to invite another Elf to your bed?”

 

“Of course, my Lord.” Rhinure was a little surprised at the question. If she did not mind Legolas taking other ellyth to his bed then he should accord her the same courtesy, should he not? She understood what Arandur meant about marital rights giving bed rights as well, but if she freed him of his obligations then was she not free as well?

 

Legolas eyes were dangerous now as he causally picked up Rhinure’s hand and brought her wrist up to his mouth. To all it seemed as if the Prince was making a romantic gesture towards his new wife, but they could not see the blue fire that burned at Rhinure.

 

“My lady, I think I might not have made this sufficiently clear, I will not take another bed-mate and neither will you. There will only be one Elf who makes love to you, and that will be me.”

 

It seemed as if the silk hid equally hard steel.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List