Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 40 – Trust

Legolas smiled into Rhinure’s mouth when he felt her fingers running through his hair. They lightly caressed the braids on the side of his head, burrowing under the strands to find the scalp. Legolas was surprised at how sensual her fingers felt, how good it felt to feel her against him. He had been a fool for waiting so long; after tasting her, he could not remember how he had managed to stay away all this time. This was right, this was good – for him and for Rhinure.

As his mouth trailed down her neck, he gently nipped the skin, causing Rhinure to moan again. It was a beautiful sound and Legolas felt its echo deep in his gut. He wanted - needed - to hear it again. He needed to make Rhinure respond to him. Legolas found the pulse on the base of her throat and greedily lapped at it, feeling it speed up.

He thought Rhinure said something to him, but he could not make the words out. He was concentrating too hard on more pleasant things than conversation.

“My Lord,” Rhinure tried again.

“Hmm?” Legolas managed, not stopping his exploration of Rhinure’s flesh.

Rhinure finally had to clasp Legolas’ head, holding it still and away from her mouth. “My Lord, I do not think we are alone anymore.”

Legolas looked down into Rhinure’s black eyes, causing her to shake. They were burning her and she welcomed it – just not at this moment. “Whoever it is can leave.”

“I think not, nín ion.”    

Thranduil’s amused voice was more effective than a bucket of cold water.

Legolas buried his burning face in Rhinure’s shoulder, murmuring, “Please tell me that my father is not standing behind me.”

“You wish for me to lie to you?” Rhinure arms came up to cradle him, holding him to her for as long as he wished.

Legolas shook his head and reluctantly rolled off his wife, lying on his back next to her so that he could look at Thranduil. “Suilad Adar. What brings you here?”            

Thranduil raised his eyebrow at Legolas’ mischievous tone. He could not decide if Legolas’ face was red from embarrassment or from recent … activities. Since Rhinure was similarly flushed Thranduil concluded that recent activities were of a suitably intense nature – which would also explain why his son was breathing as if he had been running a race.

“I came looking for you and Lady Rhinure. When you did not come back to my rooms, as I had asked, I thought it best if I looked for you.”

Legolas groaned; he knew he had forgotten something. “You did not have to bother yourself, my Lord. You could have sent someone else.”

*~ Anyone else. ~*

“I was accompanied by Herenion and Arandur, but I sent them away when I saw your … ah, position.”

Legolas buried his face in his hands. Herenion was never going to let him forget this – not that he wanted to. But it was still mortifying. Legolas felt like a child who had been caught stealing a sip of Thranduil’s best wine – but what a wine it was. Legolas smiled slightly, remembering the feel of Rhinure’s mouth. A very good vintage indeed.

“Why did you wish to see us, my Lord?” Rhinure asked calmly, sitting up and lightly brushing the grass from her tunic.

Thranduil did not understand how it was possible for Rhinure to remain so calm while looking like she had been thoroughly kissed. He was pleased to note that both elves were still sitting close to each other, thighs touching. Neither made any move to draw apart. He wondered if he should have interrupted them, but he did not think the glen was the most appropriate place to consummate their bond. Besides, he did not like the idea of his son and daughter-in-law providing a spectacle for causal observers.

“I wished to see you in particular, sell nín.”    

“About what specifically, nín hîr?”   

“It is to do with your request to leave, my Lady.”

“What request?” Legolas turned to look at Rhinure, voice becoming a little sharp. Why had he not been told about this? Rhinure was leaving? When? Why?

“Will you grant it, my Lord?”

*~ Do I have a choice? ~*

“Why do you wish to leave, my Lady?”

“The Avari have lost their Second Guard – they need to be told, and I have to be the one to do it. Besides, I have other responsibilities as well. Responsibilities that require me to be at home.”

Legolas felt like flinching when Rhinure said ‘home’ but he managed to ask evenly, “When do you hope to leave, my Lady?”

“As soon as possible.” Rhinure turned back to Thranduil, “Do I have your permission to leave, my Lord?”

Thranduil nodded, he could not have stopped Rhinure unless he detained her in her rooms or ordered her to stay, which would have been unpleasant. The request was a formality and both knew it, but it was a formality that Thranduil needed to see through. He understood why she needed to return home; Morion had been important to the Avari – Thranduil had gathered as much. In times of great loss, it was a ruler’s duty to be with her people. Thranduil supposed he should be appreciative that Rhinure had bothered notifying him of her intentions. Thus, he was able to graciously give her what she would have taken anyway.

“Was that all, my Lord?” Rhinure asked, breaking the silence that had fallen.

Though Thranduil would have liked to discuss the orc raids with Rhinure, he was conscious of Legolas’ anger. His son needed time to talk to his wife. Thranduil had interrupted them once already; giving them this time was the least he could do. “For now, my Lady. I would like to see you before you leave, however.”

Rhinure nodded and watched as Thranduil left the glen, leaving her alone with an irate Legolas. She could feel his eyes burn through her back. Somehow, she had managed to infuriate him again – unknowingly, but she had done it nonetheless. She realised now that she should have told Legolas that she needed to return home, but the time had never seemed appropriate. Besides, it was not as if she were going to sneak away in the shadows – she had informed Thranduil of her desire to return, if not her reasons. She would have told Legolas as well, before she left. He did not have a reason to be angry. Maybe if she said it long enough she would be able to convince herself of that.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“Did you speak to her?”

Thranduil glanced back at Herenion and indicated that the bodyguard should follow. “No, I did not feel the time was appropriate.”

“But you did interrupt them?” Herenion sounded faintly disapproving.

“Yes, I will not have my son make a spectacle of himself.”

“As you did when you were first married,” Herenion muttered.

“Did you say something, Herenion? I did not catch it. Would you care to repeat yourself?” Thranduil’s voice was cold, reminding Herenion that he spoke to the King.

Modulating his tone to a more respectful level, “I said nothing of import, my Lord.”

“I thought as much.”

“Though I still think you should have let them be.” Herenion grinned at his King. It took even more than Thranduil to subdue Herenion. Having a subject who remembered him as a tiny little Elfling with sticky jam all over his face did not help Thranduil in maintaining kingly dignity. Immortality and perfect recall did have their problems.

“Thank you, Herenion. What would I do without you?”

“Well for one, you would wait much longer for grandchildren. Oropher would despair if he knew how prim his son has become in his old age.”

“Being concerned about one’s dignity is not prudishness.”

“This from one who could not keep his hands off his wife when they were first married.”

Thranduil tried to look affronted but failed miserably, “I had that difficulty even after we were together for a long time. The difference between my son and myself is that I did not get caught.”

Herenion laughed, knowing the truth in that statement. He clasped his Lord and King in companionable friendship, grateful that Thranduil allowed it.

“I miss her, old friend.” Thranduil squeezed the hand on his shoulder.

“So do we all, my Lord.”

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Arandur walked silently behind the two laughing elves, eyes trained on the surroundings, ever conscious of his duty.

“Come walk beside me, Captain.”

“As you wish, my King.” Arandur could feel Thranduil’s eyes on him and he knew that the King wanted to speak about something in particular. Probably something about Mistress Rhinure. Unlike Herenion, Arandur was not someone Thranduil talked to – commanded, ordered, on occasion even inquired after, but not someone to converse with. Theirs was a peculiarly professional relationship, even after 2000 years, the camaraderie that formed between Ruler and subject was missing. Which was how Arandur wanted it – familiarity was not something he was particularly comfortable with, or wanted. And for his part, Thranduil was never sure how far to integrate the Moriquendi into his life. Arandur was a shadow in Thranduil’s life, always present, always near, but forever in the corner of his eye.

“Did you wish to ask me something, my Lord?”

“How committed is Lady Rhinure?” Thranduil was never one to waste time with useless words, something Arandur had come to respect in the Sindar Elf – it was a curiously Avari trait for the Sindar.

“To whom, my Lord?”

“To Mirkwood.”

“She is not committed to the Realm at all, my Lord.” Arandur was also not one to mince words, though his habit of not explaining his words until Thranduil asked was aggravating. Thranduil knew that Arandur would not elaborate on that statement unless prompted. It was as if the Avari took great pleasure in being inscrutable. For an unemotional race, they seemed to take great delight in shocking people.

“Then her vows to Legolas were meaningless.”

“Hardly, my Lord. You asked if she was committed to Mirkwood, not to the Prince. Her dedication to Prince Legolas is paramount. Nothing comes before him. And nothing ever will.”

“Fine sounding words, Captain but what do they actually mean?”

“It means, my Lord, that she would do anything Prince Legolas asks, how he asks, when he asks.”

Arandur knew that look in Thranduil’s eyes – the King was thinking how best to use this information for Mirkwood’s advantage.

“How far may I use this bond?” Thranduil asked bluntly, intrigued by whether Arandur would give an answer or not

“As far as you wish, but there is always a price. Prince Legolas could ask Mistress Rhinure to betray the Avari and she would do it. Even though her life would be forfeit, she would obey him. But I do not think he would want her to be killed.” Arandur answered immediately, feeling only the faintest of misgivings about providing Thranduil with a weapon against Rhinure. Arandur’s loyalty was to the King – Thranduil could be sure of that. Besides, there was no point in lying to the King, since he would catch it anyway.

Thranduil thought about what Arandur said. So, Rhinure’s marriage to his son gave him an advantage over her – but, like everything else in life, it was not a simple one. He would have to cautiously walk the line between coercion and force. After all, he did not want to be responsible for getting Rhinure killed. No matter how frustrated Thranduil was with her, he did not want to lose her. In his own way, he had come to admire the young, stubborn elleth. She was devoted to her people – a trait that Thranduil understood and admired. Despite her youth, she did well by her people. The tenacity required reminded Thranduil of a young Elf returning home – fatherless, leaderless, an Elf thrust into maturity too soon - a King. Rhinure was much like him, only a little harder, a little more alone, a little more obstinate and a lot more unhappy.

And in the end, whatever he thought about his new daughter was irrelevant. Legolas cared for her – cared a lot for her, if Thranduil was any judge of character. And he would not take that away from his son. Legolas had lost too many important people in his life, mother, friends, potential lovers – Thranduil would not be the reason that he lost his wife. Thranduil knew how painful such a separation could be and he would do all he could to spare his son such pain. For his son, if for no other reason, he would be patient.

After all, Thranduil smiled – betrayal was a matter of definition. One may skate close to it, without falling in that quagmire. It was all a matter of perception. Thranduil might not be able to force Rhinure, but he was able to manipulate her. There were ways of getting what he wanted without having to be blunt. Ways of eliciting information without asking for it – without causing Rhinure to deceive her Avari.

Thranduil was almost looking forward to the battle of wits that was to follow. It would be interesting to see how Rhinure would perform; how long she could hold out against Thranduil’s demands and Legolas’ entreaties.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“Are there any more surprises you have planned for me, or should I ask my father?”

Rhinure glanced up at Legolas, noting that he did not look at her. He gazed off in the direction where Thranduil had left, jaw clenched tightly. He was angry; Rhinure could feel the heat infect her as well. It was all she could do not to move away from him.

“Why did you not tell me that you were planning on leaving?” Legolas asked after a few minutes of silence.

“I am telling you now,” Rhinure answered softly, not meeting his eyes. She had no reason to feel guilty – it was her duty to return home, her people needed her – so why did she feel this ache in her chest when she saw Legolas’ hurt?

“Were you going to tell me at all or leave like last time, without warning?”

“Last time was … unexpected. I had not planned on returning home.”

“Would it have been so difficult to inform me of your plans?”

“I did not see what difference it made. I would still have had to leave.”

Legolas wanted to rail at her – demand to know why she did not feel it necessary to tell him what she was thinking. Common courtesy would have held that she tell him about her plans, if only so that he was not the last to find out. Legolas suspected that Arandur knew of her plans and, obviously, so did his father. It irked him; Rhinure was his wife – he should not have to find out what she was planning from others. He should be first in her mind.

“You did not see the dishonour in your husband learning of your whereabouts from his father’s bodyguard?”

Rhinure sucked in her breath sharply – she had not thought that Legolas would see her actions as shaming him. But then would she have felt any different if Legolas had disappeared without reason? No, she would have been angry as Legolas was right now.

Legolas kept looking at her, expecting some kind of response. But what could Rhinure say? At this point, all she wanted to do was leave Legolas and the inevitable mistakes she made around him. Whenever she was around him, she managed to hurt him or herself. Failing his expectations and hers was tiring and highly unpleasant for her. She did not tolerate failure, especially in herself.

Legolas felt Rhinure move away from him slightly, legs no longer touching. Even in midst of his anger, he was acutely conscious that he was no longer touching her body.

“Are you going to answer the question, my Lady? Do you not see the shame you caused me in front of my King? I know that our marriage is hardly ideal, but as my wife you owe me some consideration.”

Rhinure listened to the words, unhappy that a Wood-elf was reminding her of her duty. She should have remembered, never mind that when she was near Legolas she tended to forget everything. He confused her, haunted her, and sometimes, the only way she could function was to stay away from him. What she feared was no excuse for ignoring her duty. Rhinure squared her shoulders, forcing the words out of her mouth, “I will not do it again. If I am able, you will be the first to know what I intend.”

Legolas blinked, feeling strangely deflated. The anger that he felt drained out of him, as suddenly as it had crested. He could not remain angry with her, even though he needed to be. Without the anger, all that was left was a dull ache in his chest. Rhinure was leaving him – again. He wanted to hold onto his indignation and his disappointment but it was impossible. The way she adjusted her little shoulders, a warrior going into battle, charmed him. The way she had apologised for her mistake, giving him what he asked for, appeased him faster than he would have thought possible. Or it could be that he did not want to waste more time in anger. Either way, Rhinure had managed to confuse him even further. One minute he was angry with her and the next, all he wanted to do was take her in his arm.

Legolas looked at Rhinure’s profile, eyes travelling down the arch of her forehead, bridge of her nose and finally resting on the mouth that he had been kissing not so long ago. He looked at her, until he was sure he could trace her features with his eyes closed.

He moved closer to her, lightly cupping her chin and turning her face so that she was looking at him. “How long will you be gone?”

“A few weeks. A month at most.”

Legolas swallowed; even a week seemed like a long time to him. At any other point he would have been greatly amused at his impatience – it reminded him of his Elfling days when each minute could be as long as a day. He had thought he had put aside that impatience, that restlessness, when he reached his majority. He was immortal, he could afford to be patient – could he not? Then he had met Rhinure, who brought all those old feelings of agitation back with an intensity that had disappeared with his youth. Immortal or not, Legolas knew that this week without her was going to be unpleasant.

Legolas rested his forehead against hers, “A month?” The words came out softly, with a pleading undertone in them. Must it be that long?

Rhinure closed her eyes, letting his breath fan her face. “Yes, my Lord. A month.” It must be that long.

Legolas nodded, pulling her closer to him. His arms came up to hold her against him, squeezing her gently as if he were about to lose her.

 Rhinure drew back slightly, causing Legolas to look down at her. This time her hand came up, slightly tentatively, to caress his face. Her fingers traced his features, wondering if they had ever touched anything so perfect before. Rhinure traced the outline of her husband’s mouth – her husband, hers. This Elf was hers – and she was his.

“I will try to come back sooner, if possible.”

Legolas looked at her, not sure why she had made that little concession but he was not about to question it. If Rhinure said that she would come back quickly, then she would do so. Legolas would not begrudge her the time spent away from him, since he knew it to be necessary.

“Thank you.”

Husband and wife looked at each other, not sure what to do. The passion that flared up between them had been controlled once more and neither felt comfortable releasing it again. It was too volatile, and at this point, too painful.

Rhinure stood up breaking eyes contact. “I better go and see what the King wanted to speak me about.”

“Yes, that would be a good idea.” Legolas got up as well, dusting himself off. They had both better go see Thranduil – though Legolas had a rough idea what the conversation was going to be about. It was not going to be particularly pleasant, but something that needed to be said.

Legolas would wait until a better time to claim Rhinure. There were more important matters to deal with first. After all, was not patience a virtue?

“Rhinure?”

She turned at the sound of Legolas’ voice, only to find herself in his arms again. Legolas’ mouth descended on hers, demanding that she yield to him. She sighed, bringing her arms around him, insisting on being closer to him.

Patience was highly overrated.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

As soon as Rhinure felt Legolas’ mouth on hers, her determination to leave melted away like snow under a hot summer sun. All she was aware of was that Legolas was holding her close, demanding things from her that she had no will to refuse. The detached part of her mind noted this with something akin to horror as Rhinure pulled Legolas closer. It was only when she felt his tongue stroke hers that she remembered that Thranduil wanted to speak to her.

Rhinure tried stepping back from Legolas only to find that his mouth insistently followed hers, nibbling on her lips, never breaking contact. She tried to push him away, only to find that her arms somehow managed to entangle themselves around his neck, pulling him even closer. When she finally managed to free her mouth from Legolas’ determined assault, it took her a moment to calm her breathing. “My Lord, this is not the best time to be doing this. We are expected back.”

Legolas ignored her, trailing his mouth down her neck, causing her to gasp. Her head titled to the side to allow him better access. “I do not wish to stop.”

Rhinure quivered as his arms pulled her sharply against him. She did not want to stop either. But one of them had to keep their head, had to remember that other duties called them. “My Lord, I know you do not wish for your father to find us in a compromising position again.”

Legolas smiled, finding Rhinure’s mouth again. In between light kisses he said, “Ah, my Lady, at this point, if you would allow me to compromise you I would not care if Mandos himself found us.”

He had meant for the statement to be a jest but it seemed Rhinure did not find it amusing. Her eyes burned with a strange light, “Do not tease me about this, my Lord. I will not give you up. I will not lose you as well.”

Legolas started, realising that Rhinure meant what she said. Lost in his own need, he had forgotten that she had lost much to Mandos recently. His arms caressed her back, reassuring her that his words had been meaningless.

Rhinure allowed her head to rest on his chest, trying to calm her desperately beating heart. Against all expectations she had found something she had never dared hope for. Being so near to Legolas made her feel calm, almost happy – and that feeling was too precious to lose. This marriage had always been about duty and honour and Rhinure had been more than prepared to sacrifice herself to it. She had made her choice with open eyes and she knew she would never allow herself to regret it.

Then she had actually met Legolas, touched him, and trembled under his touch. She did not understand why this should be the case, but instead of the indifference she had been prepared for she had found much to delight in. She did not know how Legolas had managed to accomplish it, but this marriage had become important to her because he was in it. She was actually looking forward to spending time with him. Be it only passion, which they so clearly shared, or something a little more tenuous, Rhinure did not know – all she knew was that she could not lose it.

She should have been disgusted by the weakness in her and the burgeoning dependency Legolas brought out, but at this point, her determination overcame all other feelings. With tenacity forged in lonely years of rule, Rhinure knew that she would not give up Legolas. She could not.

“We should go in, should we not, my Lady?”

Rhinure nodded, taking the few moments in his arms to put on the armour she needed to face the rest of her life.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Thranduil looked Rhinure and Legolas over thoroughly when they entered his study. His son looked distinctly dishevelled to the immaculate King. One of his braids was almost loose, and Thranduil had a sneaking suspicious that it was Rhinure’s nimble fingers which had managed to do that. Even if Thranduil allowed for the fact that he was an overprotective father, seeing his son so tousled did not improve his mood. Legolas’ appearance was positively undignified!

Thranduil’s eyes narrowed when he took in Rhinure’s state – his exasperation alarmingly switching from her to Legolas. What had he been doing to the little elleth? Her lips were completely bruised. Thranduil gripped his chair tightly when he spied the faint bruise on the base of her neck. How could Legolas be so inconsiderate?

Thranduil sighed, abruptly understanding how Oropher had felt when he caught him and Eruante together. Thranduil silently apologised to his father, only now beginning to appreciate the protectiveness that boiled in every father’s heart.

At least Eruante had her own father to worry about her. With Rhinure’s dead, Thranduil considered himself obliged to fill that role for her. This meant that on the one hand, he wanted to scold Rhinure furiously for pawing his son, and on the other, he wanted to reprimand Legolas for taking liberties with his new daughter.

Thranduil felt like clasping his head in his hands, he was really too old to be doing this. He should have had grandchildren by now to spoil, while Legolas pulled his hair out. He should have passed the stage of having to agonise over his children. Now, instead of one, he had two to worry about. Why was life never simple?

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Legolas and Rhinure shared a glance when Thranduil did not speak. He kept looking at both of them with his intent eyes, making them both nervous. Legolas has seen this look many a time before. It was the look Thranduil gave him when Legolas managed to break his mother’s favourite mirror. Or the time he dipped an elleth’s braid in ink. Or the time he had managed to burn his hands stealing fresh cake. Or the time he had managed to fall asleep through a particularly boring council meeting. Yes, Legolas has seen that look many a time before, and it was still as effective as ever. Legolas wished he could disappear at this very minute, or at least bury his face in Rhinure’s lap.

*~ Stop it, thoughts like that are not helping. ~*

Rhinure was not sure how to behave. When Thranduil glared at her, she straightened her back and glared back, showing him that she would not be intimidated. She was indifferent to the disapproval that she saw in his eyes; after all, she had spent a lifetime facing the unpleasant. What confused her, however, was that Thranduil would turn the same disapproving look onto his son. He would first glare at her and then glare at his son in equal measure. Rhinure did not know what to make of it, but she knew that she did not like this feeling. It was as if she was a small child again.

It was time to stop and end this confusing day. With great will, she gathered her thoughts and forced her voice into a cool tone, “You wished to speak to me, my Lord?”

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Rhinure cold tone cut through the confusion in Thranduil’s head like an Elven blade cut through its enemies. It allowed the King in Thranduil to take over the father. Now was not the time to be worrying about his son and his wife. They could take care of themselves, right now he needed to look after his people who could not. He would worry when he had the time, Thranduil promised himself.

“Yes, I did, my Lady. I thank you for coming to see me with such alacrity.”

Rhinure relaxed marginally; the King she could deal with – he was a lot more understandable than Thranduil. “What was it that you wished to speak to me about, my Lord?”

“I wished to thank you for the comprehensive report you sent me.”

The temperature dropped in the room immediately as Rhinure and Legolas picked up the serious undertones in Thranduil’s voice. Rhinure knew that neither father nor son was pleased with the report, though she did not understand why. She had made the recommendations after deep thought and deliberation. It was the most accurate prediction she could make at the time. She would have thought Thranduil would have been pleased that she was finally thinking about the safety of his people and sharing information as he had earlier wished. But it seemed as if whatever she did was wrong.

Legolas watched his King and the Sacrifice closely. Rhinure was hiding something from him; he was sure of it. Every instinct in him told him that. The report just proved it – the sheer detail and confidence with which it was penned told him that Rhinure had access to more information than she was forthcoming with. Information that could be potentially crucial to his people. He bent forward slightly, concentrating on Rhinure as his father continued.

“I was most impressed with the level of detail in it.”

Rhinure’s eyes narrowed, “Prince Legolas expressed a similar sentiment earlier.”

“So you have discussed this already with him? That is good to know. I am sorry then to have bothered you. I am sure the Prince will be able to tell his King all that I need to know.” Thranduil voice was smooth and charming and it reminded Rhinure of the way a bow hummed, ever so softly, before the arrow was released.

“I fear, my Lord, that you have misunderstood me. I have not discussed the report with Prince Legolas. We were a little distracted earlier.”

“That is a shame, my Lady. I will have to keep you longer then to carefully go over the report. I am certain that you would wish it too, since Legolas will be leading the patrols himself.”

Legolas blinked, this was news to him. While he had lead the patrols often enough, Thranduil was notoriously reluctant to allow it, especially if the information was unreliable. His position as Heir had always taken precedent over his duties as one of Mirkwood’s captain.

“He will?” Rhinure asked carefully.

“Of course, my Lady. If your report is accurate then orc activity is going to increase. I will need my best people patrolling, and the Prince is naturally one of them.”

Legolas watched his father closely, noting the way Thranduil’s eyes glinted as they rested on Rhinure. He knew what his father was dong, if the report was unreliable then Rhinure was deliberately placing her Lord in danger. By giving Legolas charge of the new patrols, Thranduil had effectively made the safety of the patrols a matter of Rhinure’s honour. Make a mistake and she betrayed her vows to Legolas. Legolas smiled, it was a good plan.

Rhinure quelled the surge of panic she felt at Thranduil’s words. She did not want Legolas in danger, as he would be if he led the patrols. No matter how much she trusted the report and its veracity there was always room for error. Rhinure mentally shook her head, she was letting her feelings run away with her. Legolas could take care of himself; she just had to keep telling herself that.

“Since orc activity is going to increase, I applaud your foresight and daring, my Lord.”

Thranduil’s eyes narrowed. *~ So you are confident of Legolas’ safety, little one? Why then the flash of panic in your eyes? ~*

 “Are you sure you would not like to add something to the report, my Lady?” Thranduil asked pleasantly.

Rhinure had enough of playing these little games. It was time to take back the offensive. “My Lord, if you have a problem with the report you wish to discuss, then I am more than willing to listen. If not, then may I retire knowing that you are confident in it.”

Thranduil smiled at the challenge Rhinure threw down, “Ah, my Lady, it is not that I am mistrusting of the information that you provide. I am just interested in the people who collected it and their methods. I would like to know who they are.”

“My Lord, what would you do with a list of names of elves you have never met?”

“Thank them when I am able, my Lady. It is the least I can do for elves who are obviously risking their lives for us.”

 “I will convey your gratitude to them myself when I return.”

Thranduil was quick to note that Rhinure did not refute the latter half of the statement. The Avari method of intelligence gathering, commonly known as spying, was dangerous, potentially life threatening. If Thranduil had to make an educated guess, he would say that Rhinure had sent in spies behind enemy lines. Thranduil wondered how many Avari she had in the field, and how many were only spying on orcs.

“And will it be on this trip, my Lady?”

Rhinure raised her eyebrow at the question, “Do you expect me to answer that question, my Lord?”

Thranduil smiled, “It could not hurt to ask, my Lady. I must say that I am fascinated by the Avari network. It would be an education to know exactly how you came by the information. What prompted you to watch these specific areas? How the information made its way back to you? I am sure if I learnt more, I too, would share your unshakable confidence in the report you gave to me.”

*~ So we are back to the beginning my Lord. You still do not trust what I tell you. ~*

 

 “My Lord, I would not take your time with such tedious matters. Suffice to say that I have elves in appropriate positions. They should be able to inform me if the orc situation changes.”

“My Lady, let me hasten to assure you that you can never bore me. I would be delighted to hear about the Avari method of gathering intelligence – especially in this case.”

“May I ask what difference that information would make, my Lord? Is it not enough that I vouch for the information?” Rhinure’s voice became cold, dropping the artificial politeness.

Thranduil too replied with equal determination, “Come, my Lady, you must understand my concern. My Heir rides in battle, I must do all I can to ensure that he is not harmed. I am sure you would not want anything to happen to him. After all, you know better than most what it is to lose people to orc attacks.”

Rhinure clenched the arms of the chair, keeping her voice calm and free of any pain. She could see what Thranduil was doing; he was playing her concern for her husband against her. He would break her if need be to get the information he needed. “My Lord, you have spoken to me so often of trust. Will you not give me what you wish from me?”

Both Legolas and Thranduil stiffened at Rhinure’s tone. She was not as successful in keeping the rage out her voice, as she would have wished. Thranduil took a deep breath before speaking, “My Lady, I would know how the Avari came by the information.”

Rhinure drew herself up, reminding Thranduil that he did not speak to some little Elfling. She was Sacrifice of her people and not about to bow to such impudent commands. One did not order rulers.

“No, my Lord”

Thranduil felt his anger rise. As he had expected, this conversation had become a battle of wills. Thranduil understood Rhinure’s reasons for keeping silent; he had not truly expected her to give him names and details of the Avari’s missions. He would not have if Rhinure had asked. He was sufficiently convinced that Rhinure would not place Legolas in unnecessary danger but she had to learn that he was not about to blindly accept whatever she offered, whenever she offered, like scraps from a meal-table. Such insolence was not to be ignored or condoned.

Thranduil knew with that Rhinure was not telling him the entire truth, something she was hiding from him. While the report was clear about what was going to happen, it did not say why it was going to happen. For such an extensive intelligence system, it seemed to be a major oversight. If the Avari were so confident that they could track the orcs then they should have been confident enough to speculate on why the orcs were beginning to organise again. And more importantly, who was helping them? With the Nazgûl gone, who was commanding the orcs? Either the Avari did not know, which cast doubts on their spying abilities. Or Rhinure was not being as forthcoming as Thranduil would like. Neither option was acceptable.

Legolas blinked, no one had ever refused Thranduil in such a manner. No one had ever dared to speak to his King in such a disrespectful manner, and no one ever would again. Keeping his voice polite and even, pointedly reminding Rhinure of the correct way of speaking in front of the king, Legolas finally joined the conversation. “My Lady, you are being unreasonable. Surely it would do no harm if you tell us, your allies, how the Avari assembled their reconnaissance?”

Rhinure replied with equal condescension, “Let me see if I correctly understand the situation, my Lord. You would have me confide in you the way my people collect information when you do not provide me the same courtesy? I do not see equal information on the methods of this realm. And even if, for arguments sake, I do indulge your request, what guarantee do you have that this time I am speaking the truth? After all, if I can put false information in the report, as you so clearly imply, then can I not as easily mislead you about how I came upon the information?”

“Maybe we can decide the truth after you give us what we ask, my Lady.” Legolas’ eyes never left Rhinure’s face as he said those words. She could not find an iota of softness in them at the moment. As it should be, since Rhinure’s eyes were cold as well.

*~ Then why do I hurt so much?~*

“What would you do with the information, my lord? It would be meaningless to you,” Rhinure challenged Legolas.

“Let us judge that,” Legolas replied with equal fire.

Rhinure felt the weight of both blond elves settle on her, burying her, forcing her to give in, comply with their wishes – break. She should not have sent the report, but she felt that they needed to know about the raids, even if she could not explain why. She needed to speak to Cothion. Maybe it was time to trust these elves, throw their lot with them. Could she betray her kin in such a fashion? Could she carry out the threat she had made when she married Legolas? Would her Avari even allow that? So many questions for which she did not have answers. She needed time to convince her people that their future was with her, with these Wood-elves. And she could not do that if they felt that she was betraying them, becoming soft, becoming entangled with the Eldar. 

For now, she had to turn Legolas’ and Thranduil’ suspicions away from her. If Thranduil could play with her emotions, then she could play with theirs as well. It was time to introduce a little guilt in this conversation.

“What would you have me tell you, my Lords? Would you like to know how my spies follow orc patrols gathering information? Or would you like to know how my spies remain behind enemy lines, hoping to gather some morsel for the protection of your people.”

Rhinure paused, looking both elves straight in the eyes, letting them see what they asked her for. She allowed them to see the weight of what she did, the ruthlessness of it. She allowed it to cut into them, as it cut into her. This was an act no longer, opening that door and let other emotions out as well. Pain, sorrow – bitterness.

“Would you like the number of Avari who have not seen their families for years, because they watch old haunts in case the orcs return? Would you like the number of Avari who have died on such missions?

“Oh, I forgot, you wanted to speak about this report? What would you have me tell you? I can tell you the names of the Avari you will never know who gathered this information. I can tell you names of families whom you have never met who have been torn apart gathering this information.”

Rhinure turned to Legolas, “You asked me, my Lord, why I have such confidence in this report. I have faith in it because my Avari have died for it. I send my people out of the safety of the forest, into enemy territory so that they may keep your homes safe. Avari died and are still dying because we are committed to keeping the enemy out of Mirkwood. They do this because I ask it of them. And they do it because they know I will believe what they tell me.”

Rhinure stood up, almost shaking with anger. Legolas made a move towards her, but she stepped back. He had not expected her to react so strongly, to what he had said. She had to understand that what he did he did for his people.

“Rhinure, we do not know if your information is correct. How can we change our patrolling patterns when that might endanger our people?” Legolas pointed out reasonably.

Rhinure felt a sharp pain in her chest, “If you truly think I would needlessly endanger your people, my husband, then this conversation is pointless, is it not? If you both would excuse me, I think I have said all I am capable of tonight.” Why could she not control herself around this elf?

Before Legolas could move, Rhinure had left the room. He turned a stricken face to his father, “That went well, my Lord.”

Thranduil swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat. He was torn. As King, he had to be suspicious, wary, always alert; as an Elf, he wanted nothing more to believe that Rhinure’s anger – and grief were genuine. “Very well indeed.”

“Did you get what you wanted from her?” Legolas sank back into his chair; it had been a long day.

Thranduil nodded, “The Avari would not go to such length to give us false information. Rhinure is proud of her people, she would not have been so hurt if our accusations were not unfounded. I believe the information can be trusted.”

“You think her anger was real?”

Thranduil raised an eyebrow, “You do not?”

“It was a little too convenient in its appearance, my Lord.”

“Such cynicisms, nín ion. Be careful, you might end up like me after all.”

Legolas smiled, “Only if I am fortunate, Ada.”

“If you feel that she was feigning, then why are you so concerned, little one?”

Legolas sighed, “Genuine or not, Ada, I cannot see her in pain.”

Thranduil nodded sadly, “If it is any consolation to you, I think her anger – and pain – were authentic. She was close to giving us what we wanted. There is not much she will deny you.”

Legolas did not reply immediately, not trusting himself to come up with a coherent response. Composing himself he asked, “Will you heed the recommendations, my Lord?”

Thranduil sighed; in the end, it was his decision. As King, he had to choose whether to trust Rhinure or not. Put faith in a race he knew little about or potentially hurt his own people. It was not easy, trust what he saw in Rhinure and the few Avari he had met, or trust what he had been taught all his life. On the one hand were Arandur’s loyalty and Rhinure’s commitment to his son. On the other hand were the lives of his people if he was wrong.

Closing his eyes, he remembered a beautiful elleth who had believed in him and taken a chance on his love. His beautiful wife, who had brought such joy into his life, lifting the shadows and reminding him that sometimes when a King could not decide, the Elf in him could.

“Yes. Tell the patrols tomorrow that there is new information about orc activity.”

Legolas got up, “As my Lord commands.”

As Legolas made his way to the door, Thranduil commented, “Whatever she hides, I believe she does for a reason.”

Legolas nodded, not sure what his father was trying to say.

“I also believe that she would never deliberately hurt you.”

“I hope you are right, Ada. Because if she tried, she could succeed very easily.”

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List