Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 39 - Dance

Rhinure waited patiently in her room for the sun to rise. The night had been spent in weeping which had lightened her heart, washed the weariness out of her bones – and in the end changed nothing. She was still alone – Morion was still dead and a world of duty waited for her outside her rooms.

Rhinure sighed, deftly braiding her hair out of her face before putting it up in her customary bun. The movement was familiar after centuries of practise that she could allow her mind to wonder as her fingers automatically parted her hair. Naturally, her thoughts returned to the previous night, the funeral, the farewell, the pain and – Legolas. Rhinure remembered how his arms had felt around her – enveloping her, shutting out the pain and the troubles that plagued her. A light shudder rippled through her body; the feeling was dangerous, addictive in its deceptive safety. Nothing could prevent the pain from returning, not even her beautiful Prince.

And in the end she did not want to shut out the pain – as long as she felt something, anything, she knew she was alive. The pain was precious too; it was all she had left of Morion. Morion – beloved uncle, trusted confidant, how she would miss him. How she would miss the way his head bent over hers when she was tired, how his eyes ever so slightly softened when they looked at her. It had taken many years of practise but she has learnt to read his moods, even when he hid them from her. How she would miss the comfort that only came with long contact.

As the new day’s light filtered in through the curtains, Rhinure made ready to visit Ehtewen. Memories of Morion, of the bond they shared, of the pain she had consequently suffered were locked deep within her heart – deep down where they could not see the light of a new day – deep down where they belonged.

Rhinure marched out of her room with new determination and steel in her spine. She had duties to perform and elves to look after. Duty would see her through as it always had, it would tide her through all loss and all pain. It had never failed her, never betrayed her, never left her alone. If it was colder than the feeling Morion evoked in her – then so be it.

As Rhinure left her room, her mask was back in place, as it had to be. There was no evidence of the tears she had shed all night, or the sorrow that still tinged her heart.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Legolas woke when the Sun’s light fell on his eyes. He stretched his neck, which had been resting in an awkward position on the chair he had finally managed to fall asleep on. After he had left Rhinure on the balcony he had found sleep to be elusive as ever. Sitting in the chair, alone in his room, all he could think of was how much she must be hurting. To lose family was the hardest thing any being had to suffer. Legolas knew that from personal experience.

Thoughts of Rhinure’s loss had naturally led to memories of his mother. Even after such a long time Legolas’ heart still ached at the thought of Eruante. Life had been so much simpler, so much purer when she was around. Thranduil had smiled more often, the people had been happier and Legolas had felt safe. Though it was not all due to Eruante, her passing marked the end of an era – the end of innocence, and it still hurt.

If Legolas closed his eyes, he could still smell his mother’s scent on her long skirts as he hid behind them to escape his father’s discipline. He could still remember the soft material that caressed his cheek when he ran around them, trying to escape his father’s long, tickling fingers. Her laughter still rung in his ears as he remembered saying something so completely stupid that it could only come out of an Elfling’s mouth.

No matter how sweet the memories were they carried they own peculiar sting with them – after all they were only memories, shadows of what once had been. Every time Legolas closed his eyes he could feel the memories push against the wall he had constructed to keep them out. The thought of Rhinure suffering as he did only worsened the problem. He wanted, needed to be with her – to share this sorrow with her. And, as Thranduil did for him once, he wanted to take her pain into himself and spare her as much as he could. He wanted to protect her as he had been protected once. It was a way of repaying the kindness and love he had been shown in his life, a way of honouring the lessons life had taught him.

He did not move, but remained in the chair facing the balcony. He realised he was not welcome. Rhinure had her own way of dealing with her sorrow and being with Legolas was not part of it. It hurt him to be shut out of her life when all he wanted to do was help, but he respected her wishes. He could do no less, but that thought was cold comfort as he sat in his room alone with his pain and loneliness.

He had finally allowed sleep to overtake him, as it was the only escape available to him at the moment. If only for a few hours, he would accept this respite.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Though Rhinure did not see them, blue eyes followed her progress down the hall until she was lost around the corner. After getting dressed Legolas had contemplated knocking on Rhinure’s door to see how she was. Maybe she had calmed down enough to suffer his company. But before he could work up the nerve, Rhinure exited her room with a determined stride. She did not notice the partially open door where Legolas stood.

As she walked away from him Legolas carefully looked her over – trying to find any chink in the armour she had constructed around herself. The inflexibility had returned to her spine – her will seemed as strong as ever. It should have gladdened Legolas to learn that Rhinure had regained her strength, but it only saddened him further. Somehow, be it instinct or an irrational belief, he knew that Rhinure was not healed. She was ignoring the pain she felt, he was sure of it. And he was as equally certain that it was necessary for him to make her see that this behaviour was not healthy.

It had become a challenge, one that Legolas knew he was incapable of resisting. He would make Rhinure see that shutting out others – shutting him out, would not help her. She needed to let him heal her. He was certain of that.

He could help her – he knew that. After all, had not he suffered much the same way as she had? Had he not learned to deal with pain similar to hers?

Ignoring the hurt that still remained in his own heart, Legolas decided to concentrate on his wife. She needed him – as long as he kept that thought in his head he could ignore the possibility that he might need her just as much.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Helping Rhinure was not as easy as Legolas had originally hoped. Over the next few days, he honestly tried to speak to her, offer her his sympathies – and eventually his aid. But she did not seem interested; in fact, she did not seem interested in spending any time with him whatsoever. She was always busy with her Avari – the first day it had been Ehtewen, the next was spent with the rest of the wounded. The third had seen her closeted with Agorion all day. Legolas had curbed his impatience when he had seen how exhausted she was.

Legolas had hoped that once Ehtewen had recovered, Rhinure would be able to give some of her attention to him, but he was thwarted in that desire as well. If anything, Ehtewen’s recovery had increased the demands on Rhinure’s time. Every time Legolas turned around Ehtewen was demanding something from Rhinure. He did not know what the demands were, but it seemed as if Rhinure always submitted to them. Legolas spent hours fluctuating between anger at the First Guard for tiring his wife out and admiration for making Rhinure listen. He wondered if Ehtewen would consider teaching him how she managed to hold Rhinure’s attention. Legolas was fast approaching desperation.

If Legolas did not know better, he would have been convinced that Rhinure was deliberately avoiding him. After all, in the week that had passed since their return to Mirkwood, she could have found some time for him. If nothing else, she could have lingered at dinner to inquire about how he was doing. But even the time they spent in each other’s company was unfulfilling. There were too many people around taking her attention away from him.

If Legolas was truthful with himself – and at this point he was disinclined to be so – he would have realised that he was as busy as Rhinure. Since his return home he found most of his time taken up in planning against the orc raids and tightening up the border patrols. His people had been endangered once, he was not about to let it happen again. It was a tedious task, one that required his utmost concentration and considerable diplomatic skill. Convincing captains to change their century-long practises and work with their darker cousins required Legolas to coax, cajole, persuade and even manipulate if need be. Thranduil would have been proud of him

Sometimes he was tempted to bang his head against the table when a particular captain was being too stubborn. It would have been so easy to simply order the changes by virtue of his title. But unfortunately, Legolas was too noble to do that. He would not tyrannise his fighters – no matter how much they deserved it. So Legolas stifled his impatience, smiled and explained himself once more.

Of course, this did not mean that he did not use his power when it was called for. Legolas was truly a son of the House of Oropher – as certain nobles quickly found out. While Legolas was nothing but patient when listening to legitimate complaints and uncertainties – especially when it came to the adjustment of the Avari with the regular patrols – he would not stomach petty whining.

Herenion, quietly standing behind his prince, much like he had this whole week – watched with great amusement as Legolas dressed down a puffed up merchant who was complaining that the Avari practise of providing food for their ownand to any who asked, was ruining his business.

“But, your highness, you must understand, the Avari just cannot feed anyone they want!”

“And why ever not, my good sir?” Legolas asked with the sweetest of tones. Now any sensible Elf would have shut his mouth at this point, but the merchant did not learn.

“If everyone was just allowed to supply food, the market would collapse. I will be unable to maintain my profit margins this way.”

“My good sir, are We to understand, that the few people that the Avari are sharing their food with – in this short week – are causing you ruin?”

“Most assuredly, your Highness.” The merchant nodded vigorously, missing the blue fire that burned in Legolas’ eyes. He did not have time for this.

“How small a business are you running, my good sir? The Avari have not, to Our knowledge, set up any stall or commercial practise whatsoever. The barely dozen people who eat with them happen to be members of Our company – and private citizens of Our Realm. Are you insinuating that they do not have the right to eat where they wish, and with whom they wish?”

The merchant gulped, realising that his petition was not going well with the Prince. If his calm expression was anything to judge by – it was going down badly. It was uncanny how much Legolas resembled Thranduil at that point. And as every Wood-elf knew, it was not a good idea to irritate the King.

“As far as We can tell, my good sir, you are more concerned about the loss of income from Our captains, who buy specialised delicacies from you. Your business otherwise is thriving. In fact, the Avari presence has increased your business if nothing else, since We know they buy their basic food stuff from you. Is that not true?”

“Yes, your Highness.” The merchant managed to get out.

“Then why are you wasting Our time complaining about the Avari?”

When no answer was forthcoming, Legolas signalled to Herenion, who jumped to remove the merchant from the Prince’s presence. Legolas was fast reaching the end of his considerable patience – and after a whole morning of listening to such petitions, Herenion could not blame him.

As Herenion returned, Legolas sighed, massaging his temple, “Remind me again why Ada decided that I should listen to the petitions concerning the Avari.”

“Because you are Prince Legolas Thranduilion, Third in the House of Oropher, Lord of the Woodland Realm - ”

“I think I remember now. Thank you, Herenion.”

“Besides – you are married to the Princess Rhinure, Sacrifice of the Avari, Fourth in the Unbroken Line – ”

Thank you, Herenion. I said I remembered.”

“I was jut making sure, my Lord. Do you want me to show in the next petitioner?”

Legolas groaned, letting his face sink into his hands.

*~ I wonder if Rhinure is having as easy a time as I am. ~*

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“Would you care to explain what the problem is, First Guard?”

“Mistress, I do not believe that Agorion’s interaction with the Wood-elves is appropriate.”

Rhinure turned to the Captain who stood at attention in front of his Sacrifice, face impassive and back straight. “Do you have anything to say in your defence, Captain?”

“Mistress, all we have done is share our meals with some of the Prince’s
Company. We did not, and do not, see the harm in it.”

“It is inappropriate to become so familiar with the Wood-elves, Captain. They are not like us.”

“Be that as it may, First Guard, they asked if they could eat with us and we could not honourably refuse. They have fought with us – they should be allowed to eat with us.” Agorion turned a firm gaze on Ehtewen who returned it measure for measure.

Rhinure sighed inwardly, feeling the beginning of a headache coming on. She did not need this additional aggravation – she needed to concentrate on the Orc problem. Their penetration into Mirkwood did not bode well for the Realm – and especially not for the Avari. She would have to speak to Cothion and Túrgwaith once more. Dealing with these prejudices was only draining her unnecessarily. At least she would be able to return home soon where everything made sense – away from this confusion, away from Legolas.

When she looked up again, she found Ehtewen and Agorion still staring at each other – neither willing to back down.

“That is enough.” Rhinure’s cold voice broke the tableau, forcing both elves to concentrate on their Sacrifice.

“I will not have my First Guard and my Captain behave in such a fashion. You will resolve such disputes on your own. I will not have my time wasted with such juvenile matters.”

Ehtewen glared at her Mistress, “Your Captain’s behaviour is a juvenile concern?”

“First Guard, I share my meals with a Wood-Elf. Do you presume to tell me that I am behaving inappropriately?”

Ehtewen lowered her eyes, “Of course not, my Mistress.”

Rhinure nodded, turning her eyes on Agorion, causing his slightly smug expression to slip, “Be careful, Captain. You would do well to remember that what is appropriate for me might not be so for you.”

“Yes, Mistress. May we continue eating with the Silvan elves?”

Rhinure thought about the answer – was it fair to either group of elves to deny what they so obviously wished? Did she have the right to keep the two Companies apart and prevent the tentative friendships that were forming? Did she have the courage to expose her Avari to these confusing Eldar and eventually suffer alongside them when they were hurt?

“You may – but be on your guard. Do not betray my trust in you, Captain.”

“Never, Mistress. Am I dismissed?”

Rhinure nodded, falling silent as Agorion left the room. She was tired and now she had an irate Ehtewen to deal with – this was not turning out to be a good day.

“You should not have given him permission.”

“It is done now.”

“It was a mistake – the Eldar will only confuse the Avari and make them forget what is important. You know this – the Prince tries to affect you in such a way.”

“He tries, but he does not succeed. Neither will the other Wood-elves. The Avari will survive – we always have.”

Rhinure got up, black eyes icy, “Besides, it is my mistake to make. You would do well to remember that, First Guard.”

*~ And I do not believe it is a mistake. ~*

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“My lord!”

Legolas turned to see a servant running towards him. “Yes?”

“My Lord, the King wishes to see you.”

Legolas sighed, after spending the entire morning listening to petitions he doubted he had the strength to do whatever it was that Thranduil wanted done. Nevertheless, one did not disobey the King.

“He is waiting for you in the Library.”

“Thank you.” Legolas nodded to the servant and headed towards the Library wondering what Thranduil wanted from him.

“Ada, you wished to see me?”

“Yes, Legolas, please come in and take a seat.” Thranduil looked up from the pile of papers he was looking through. “If you would give me a moment.”

“Please, take you time, my Lord.” Legolas automatically returned, manners drilled into him coming to his rescue. Why was Thranduil behaving so formally – making him sit in front of the desk like a petitioner?

After a few minutes Thranduil looked up, pushing aside the report he was reading through. “Have you spoke to Lady Rhinure recently?”

“About what, my Lord?” Legolas answered carefully, keeping his tone as formal as Thranduil’s.

“About our speculation a few days ago?”

Legolas instantly sobered, senses becoming even more alert – this was serious. “No, my Lord. I did not think you wished me to force a confrontation – just yet.”

Thranduil nodded, “Princess Rhinure requested that she be allowed to keep a company of Avari with her.”

Legolas blinked – why had she not told him about this? “Will you permit it?”

Thranduil did not answer, “I am curious to know why Princess Rhinure feels that a company of Avari are necessary.”

“Since she is a monarch in her own right it would make sense for her to have a Honour Guard – the same way as you do, my Lord.”

“Yes, it would make sense, would it not? Did you know that her entire company is made up of Avari?”

“I presumed as much.”

“Not one Silvan name has been put forward.”

“Did you expect there to be, my Lord?”

“No. But it is nice to know ones suspicions confirmed. She does not trust us. She would keep her Avari close.”

“And we do not trust her. It is a fair bargain.”

“Yes – fair.” Thranduil did not know why but the request rankled him. It was perfectly sensible and understandable that Rhinure would want to keep her own Company. It was her due as ruler. The fact that not one Silvan name was on the list should not matter. The fact that the Company would be commanded only by Rhinure should not have made him nervous. This Company she proposed would not listen to either him or Legolas. Such a company – in Mirkwood, within his palace. The thought made his blood run cold.

Thranduil did not know what he was more upset about – the lack of trust Rhinure had in him or the mistrust he felt around her.

“Will you permit her to keep her Company?”

“Do you think I should?”

Legolas thought about it, “Yes.” Thranduil looked at his son wishing he had as much faith in Rhinure as his son did.

“Besides, it is not a large Company. We will be able to … handle them. They should not pose any problem. If you house them next to mine, we will be able to watch them without any problem.”

Thranduil smiled a little sadly, it seemed as if his son was not so different from him after all. “I will trust that you will keep a close watch on them.”

“As my King commands.” Legolas nodded calmly. If Rhinure kept the company’s numbers to the 12 she had proposed he was confident that his Elves could monitor hers effectively.

“Was there anything else, my Lord?”

Thranduil handed him the report he had been reading. Legolas took it from him questioningly – face tightening as he looked at it. It was a report from Rhinure outlining the positions and frequency of Orc raids with a speculation on their future pattern. It was accurate to the last detail – too accurate.

“It seems as if Lady Rhinure has a well working intelligence system.”

“Indeed, my son. It would be interesting to know exactly how deep the system runs.”

Legolas and Thranduil shared a calculating look. “Will you heed the recommendations?”

“They seem to be well thought out – and probably correct. Makes one wonder though – how much is she hiding from us?”

Legolas gripped the paper tightly, “Enough.”

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

“Captain.” Both Faelon and Agorion turned at the sound of Legolas’ voice, almost identical expressions of their faces. Legolas had to smile.

“I am sorry for interrupting your sparring match, but have either of you seen my wife?”

“Mistress Rhinure is in the glen yonder,” Agorion answered.

“Is she alone?”

“I believe so, my Lord.” This time Faelon answered and Agorion nodded.

“Perfect, I have good news to tell her.”

“May I ask what the news is, my Lord?” Agorion asked carefully, not liking the undertones in Legolas’ voice. It was pleasant enough, but it made his hackles rise.

“The King has graciously allowed Lady Rhinure to start her own Company.”

“That is good news indeed.” Faelon’s smile was genuine – choosing to ignore the tension in his Prince’s body. “Now you may stay here longer.” If anything Faelon’s smile became wider as he turned to Agorion.

“If Mistress Rhinure wishes it so, then I will.”

“I believe you are to be her Captain.” Legolas said, watching the Avari carefully.

Agorion nodded, not as happy with the announcement as he probably should have been. He was a Hunter – why was he being relegated to Escort Duty?

“You do not seemed pleased, Captain.”

Agorion focused on the Prince, keeping his face calm, “It will be as my Sacrifice wishes.”

Their could only be two reasons for Rhinure to bring him back from the front – she either expected trouble around Mirkwood, or she did not trust her safety to the Wood-elves. Probably both – neither made Agorion feel any better.

Legolas turned away from the two Captains – thoughts now focusing on Rhinure.

Faelon watched his Prince walk towards where Lady Rhinure was, “He seems angry.”

Agorion nodded, wondering if he should be worried.

“Do not worry – he would never harm Princess Rhinure.” Faelon stated confidently.

Agorion chose to ignore the fact that Faelon had managed to deduce his emotions, “I am more worried about your Prince. Being angry around Mistress Rhinure is not a … safe idea.”

Faelon nodded, from what he has seen of his Princess, she was not one to cower in front of anyone. She was too much like her husband in that respect. One thing he was sure of – his Prince and Princess together were a highly explosive combination.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Rhinure brought up her Blades to her forehead, letting her forehead rest against the cool metal for a moment before dropping into fighting stance. The day had been long for her – pressures of rule had kept her occupied until she had been ready to scream. The little row with Ehtewen and Agorion had been the last straw. She had left the Palace intending to get some practise done and the glen was perfect for it. It was not too far for Ehtewen to worry about her safety so, for once, Rhinure was alone. And neither was it too close for random Elves to interrupt her.

Rhinure quickly fell into her routine, the long-practiced moves coming naturally to her. Her blades sliced through the air, creating music under her skilled hands. The sound was familiar to Rhinure and one she had complete mastery over – unlike the rest of her life.

Rhinure allowed herself to forget her troubles and concentrate on her form. This was familiar, this was comforting – this was something she was good at. As her blades flew in the air, bringing down enemies within her mind – Rhinure found a measure of peace.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Legolas approached the glen, unsure of what he was going to say but knowing that he wanted to speak to Rhinure. His pace slowed when he heard the sound of metal strike metal. Instantly, his own hands went to his knives and he cautiously inched towards the glen.

When Legolas finally saw Rhinure, he could not remember what he had been expecting. In fact, he could not remember why he had bothered drawing his knives in the first place. Anyone daft enough to attack Rhinure would have been cut down by now. Legolas could not remember when he had seen a more natural sight.

Rhinure, blades in hand, moving through her complicated forms, looked right. Legolas noted the calm set of her face as she moved. She looked like she belonged there – she looked serene. With a warrior’s eye, Legolas could see that Rhinure was very skilled with her knives. Her stance was perfect, graceful, as she wove her entire body in a complicated tapestry. There was not one thing he could point out which he would correct. The way her arms rose and fell, the way her legs moved – perfect.

As Legolas watched he also noted how beautiful she looked – sun hitting the pale skin, making it glow. The way her long braid whipped in the air, the way her hips swayed, the way her neck arched as she ducked an imaginary blow. She was beautiful, and he had never realised it before.

He had also not realised that watching an elleth practise with knives would be so … enticing.

Rhinure whirled around at the soft groan, eyes flashing at the intrusion. She straightened when she saw it was Legolas – what did he want from her now?

“My Lord, how long have you been standing there?”

“Not long. I was just admiring your … stance.”

“Really, my Lord?” Rhinure deftly placed her blades back in her armbands, eyes never leaving Legolas’ face.

Legolas almost squirmed under her gaze, he was sure that she could read his less than pure thoughts. “Yes, you are pretty good with the knives. Keep up the good work.” Legolas winced at the condescending words that managed to tumble out of his mouth. He mentally cursed his mouth, which had decided to take over since his mind was still lost in thoughts of Rhinure.

Rhinure’s eyes narrowed dangerously, “Pretty good?” She was proud of her ability with the blades. “Was there some particular aspect which you found lacking?”

Once again Legolas mouth ran away with him, “Nothing much, maybe just a few little things here and there.”

Rhinure withdrew her blades, handing them to Legolas. “Would you care to show me, my Lord?” Her tone dripped venom.

Legolas looked at his wife and an absolutely wicked idea occurred to him. “If you would take your starting position, my Lady.”

Rhinure obliged and Legolas had to admit to himself that her stance was perfect. Nevertheless … he walked around, coming up behind her. Before Rhinure realised what he was planning, he had placed his arms around her, hands gripping hers.

“What are you doing, my Lord?”

“Correcting you stance, my Lady.” Legolas’ warm breath tickled her ear, and Rhinure decided not to object.

Taking her silence as compliance, Legolas stepped even closer to Rhinure, moulding her back against his body. Rhinure almost shivered at the contact. “Shall we begin, my Lady?” Rhinure nodded, since she did not trust her voice at this point.

Rhinure went through her forms again, but a lot more slowly, allowing Legolas to move in concert with her. His hands gripped her tightly, for now following her as she moved her knives. His body heat burned her back, but she did not complain. Soon enough, Legolas shifted a little, bringing her closer to him, until she was almost leaning against him. Once satisfied that she was close enough, he took charge of the dance, moving her where he wished. He could not contain his delight when she let him.

“My Lord, why are you here?”

Legolas had to concentrate very hard on what Rhinure was saying, since holding her so close was a little … distracting. “I am here because you are.”

Rhinure sighed slightly as his breath fanned the back of her neck. “Were you looking for me?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

Legolas had to think about why he had come to the glen. He had to think hard to remember anything that happened before Rhinure was in his arms. “The King wished to thank you for the report. He was most grateful.”

Rhinure stiffened in Legolas’ arms, catching the faint wisps of anger still left in Legolas, “It was my duty.”

“Yes, your duty. Which you performed above all expectations.” Legolas’ voice took on a shade of annoyance.

“Maybe your expectations were too low then, my Lord.”

“Maybe. But I cannot help but marvel at the elegance with which you wrote that report. It was full of such confidence.”

Rhinure withdrew slightly from Legolas’ embrace, catching his meaning perfectly. He let her go, interested to know how she would respond to his charge. “As it should have been.”

“Really, my Lady. Why should it have been so full of confidence? Do you know something we do not?” Legolas taunted her. His arms still led her blades but now they held her back while before they had just held.

Rhinure allowed his impudence, not wanting to lose contact just yet. “I know many things you do not, my Lord. What do you specifically speak of?”

“Why are you so sure about the intelligence that you gave to my King?” Legolas asked, the anger he had felt returning once again.

“I am always confident of what my Avari bring me.” Rhinure kept her voice icy, moving even further away from Legolas.

Legolas did not miss the way she edged her body away from him. “Such trust. If only you had had such faith in us, my Lady.” Legolas did not know where such bitterness came from.

This time Rhinure pulled out of his arms, “Such trust must be earned, my Lord.” Her eyes were chilling but they only managed to fuel Legolas’ own anger.

Both Elves stared at each other, both angry at the lack of trust in the other and neither willing to make the first leap. “I believe this lesson is over, my Lord.”

“The lesson has not even begun, my Lady.” Legolas stepped back, drawing his own blades in challenge. Rhinure accepted with a curt nod of her head, bringing up her knives.

They circled each other carefully, knowing that each had the ability to seriously hurt the other – in more way than one. Finally, Rhinure attacked, causing Legolas to bring his knives in a defensive position. As metal struck metal, it made a discordant sound which rung throughout the glen. This first move opened a gate after which the attacks flew fast and furious, both elves moving with controlled fury – one hot and one cold, but both equally deadly.

Rhinure watched Legolas very closely – he was good, very good. It would take time to beat him, time which she did not have. He was stronger than she was, he would wear her down and both of them knew it. Unless she changed the status quo, she would lose and she could not let that happen.

Rhinure backed away a little under Legolas’ attack, drawing him on – biding her time. She let Legolas believe that she was tiring, and as expected, he pressed the attack hoping to end the battle. Rhinure pretended to falter under his attack, dropping to one knee. Before he could realise it was a ruse, she flicked a good measure of dirt in his eyes, causing him to stumble.

Legolas fell backward when the dirt hit him in his eyes. He tried to ward of Rhinure’s attacks but it was difficult to see clearly. It was unsurprising that he found himself disarmed. As he blinked the dirt out of his eyes – he found Rhinure’s knives against his throat. He looked up at her, to find her looking a little too pleased with herself but breathing deeply nevertheless. As was he, he realized – the sound of their breathing sounding unnaturally loud now that they had stopped fighting. The battle had been more intense than he had thought.

Especially if the slight blush on Rhinure’s cheeks was any indication. Even though she held her knives to his throat, Legolas could not help but notice that the colour suited her cheeks. He wondered if she would look similarly flushed when he made love to her.

“That was a most ignoble tactic, my Lady. I did not expect it of you.”

“Which is precisely why I did it, my Lord. You must be prepared for all surprises.”

Legolas’ eyes narrowed, “Is that so, my Lady?” He did not like the smug tone in her voice at all. Before she could reply, Legolas lunged forward knowing that she would move her blades in time.

Sure enough Rhinure yanked her knives back before they could cut his skin, but in the process she lost her balance, allowing Legolas to tackle her. He knocked her daggers from her hand, pinning her to the ground.

Rhinure looked up at him, eyes slightly wide. “So one must be prepared for all surprises?”

If anything, Rhinure’s eyes opened even wider at that little tease. Legolas grinned, anger was one emotion he had learnt to read in his wife – and she was very angry right now. Before she could do anything harmful like kick him, Legolas pre-empted the problem by lowering his body on top of hers. His body was pressed along her entire length, effectively trapping her under him.

Legolas was surprised at how soft she felt under him. He had thought that she would have been as hard as her words, as unbending as her spirit. But she was soft and pliable – and very sweet. Legolas bent his head even closer to catch Rhinure’s elusive scent.

Rhinure’s eyes burned even more brightly as Legolas’ head came down closer to her. They would have been frightening in their intensity if Legolas had actually been paying attention. He was more fascinated by the soft skin of her face. His fingers trailed along her cheek, following the curve of her ear and finally stopping at its point. His thumb gently stoked the pointed tip, causing Rhinure to arch slightly under him.

“Stop that.” It was distracting to feel her move under him. He did not want to start something he would be incapable of finishing later.

“If you want me to stop it, then get off me.” Rhinure’s voice was low and Legolas had to bend down to catch her words, bringing him even closer to her.

“Is that any way to speak to your husband?” Legolas decided that he liked having Rhinure under him and was not about to let her go anytime soon.

“Get off me … my Lord.”

“That is much better.” Legolas said conversationally, not moving an inch.

Rhinure was getting a bit annoyed at Legolas. The ground was not comfortable and Legolas was heavy despite his slender frame. She did not like this position at all, especially since Legolas was the one in control. She squirmed slightly under Legolas, causing him to hiss, “Do you really want me to get off?”

“Yes,” Rhinure bit out, though she had to admit that he felt good against her – crushing her as if he had every right to do so.

Legolas watched her face, noting the way she clenched her jaw and the way her lips pursed together in a thin line. “I do not believe you.”

And before Rhinure could answer he lowered his mouth to hers.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

Rhinure almost stopped breathing when Legolas kissed her. She had not expected him to be so aggressive – he had always held back and now he was kissing her. She did not like this new game he played with her. It was too distracting. The feel of his lips on hers was too soft – too tempting. When his tongue darted out to lightly stroke her lips, it took all her strength to keep her mouth closed. She would not let him win.

Legolas lifted his face slightly so that he could look at her fully. She was completely rigid under him, and he did not want that. His mouth coaxed hers to give in – to open under his gentle pressure, but it remained stubbornly closed. Legolas sighed, “Let me in, Rhinure. Please …”

Rhinure felt his lips move against hers – form the words against her lips. Her heart turned over at his pleading tone. How could she deny him anything when he said her name like that?

When Rhinure sighed, Legolas quickly bent down to capture her mouth again. This time she let him slip his tongue in as he had wanted. He gently stroked the inside of her mouth with his tongue, learning its taste, causing her to sigh again.

Her hands, finally free, came up to tangle in his hair, bringing him down even closer to her. Legolas was more than happy to oblige, mouth plundering hers while his arms caressed her body.

They were so involved in each other than they did not notice the discrete cough behind them.

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List