Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reunited  by Baggins Babe

Sam was tired at the end of a long and emotional day. He undressed and put on his nightshirt, then climbed into bed. There was only one bedroom in the delightful smial, but it was quite a large room and had two beds, the smaller one, large by hobbit standards, and Frodo's double bed, which was splendid with room enough for at least four hobbits. Frodo put out the lamps and padded over to give Sam a hug.

       "Goodnight, dear Sam. I hope you don't regret coming here."

       "How could I regret seeing you again?" Sam returned the hug and Frodo kissed his brow gently.

       "I still can't quite believe you're here at last. There's so much I want to show you, and I shall bring you tea in bed in the morning and......."

       "You shouldn't be waiting on me," Sam muttered.

       "And why not? You've had a hard life of labour and toil, my Sam, even if Time has barely touched you, while I've been idling here, paddling in the sea, listening to Elven poetry and going for leisurely walks with Bilbo. You deserve rest and some spoiling."

       Sam laughed. "Alright, I know when I'm beaten." He stroked Frodo's cheek. "But you must let me look after you too. It's what I do, it's who I am."

       "You've been your own hobbit for sixty years, Sam. You've been Mayor and the Master of Bag End yourself for far longer than I was."

       "Never thought of myself as Master of Bag End..............." Sam sounded surprised.

       "We're equals now. No master and servant thing. Friends and equals for the rest of time."

       "That sounds wonderful. Does this mean I can say things I wouldn't have dared to say when I was just your gardener?"

       "You were never 'just' my gardener, and you can say whatever you like." Frodo gave him one of those enchanting smiles. "Anything you have to say is worth hearing. But here I am, nattering on like an old gammer and you tired out. Sleep now, and in the morning we shall do whatever you like. Are you sure you'll be alright here - in this bed, I mean."

       "Right now I think I could sleep on a clothesline. I'm sure I'll be fine, m'dear." He paused and re-ran their conversation through his mind. "Did you say you go paddling?"

       "Every day. It's nice to feel the wavelets running over my toes - and it has had a remarkable effect on my foothair. Look!" He held up a foot for Sam's inspection and he saw that the growth of hair was incredibly thick and curly.

       "Well I'll be.......... I'd have told Folco Boffin to dunk his head in sea water if I'd known!"

       Frodo started giggling. "Oh dear! Did poor old Folco go bald? It was in the family, I seem to remember."

       "As a coot. So did Fosco. Most hobbits don't of course, but they went bald for the rest of us, I think!"

       "I'm trying to imagine Folco bald - he was so vain about his hair. Perhaps that's why - the Valar have a sense of humour!" He chuckled. "Good-night, Sam. Sleep well."

                                                                             ************

       Sam should have slept well. He was tired and the bed was comfortable, but it was a strange bed and he still was not used to sleeping alone. When Frodo heard him turn over for the sixth time he sat up.

       "Is something wrong, Sam?"

       "I'm sorry, m'dear. I didn't mean to wake you."

       "You didn't. Are you uncomfortable? Whatever you need you shall have it."

       "No........I'm not uncomfortable. Just........I'm still not used to sleeping alone and............"

       "Oh Sam! I'm such a thoughtless ninnyhammer! I should have realised............Oh dear, forgive me.........." Frodo sounded distressed.

       "Silly really. Frodo-lad used to stay with me after.....Rose....died. You get used to sleeping next to someone."

      "Of course you do. Sixty years is a lifetime. I'm so sorry - I should have thought............" He looked thoughtful. "There's plenty of room over here.........if you like." He sounded uncertain, even nervous.

       For a moment there was silence from across the room, then he heard Sam climbing out of bed. Feet pattered on the wooden floor, and Sam stood beside the bed.

       "I'd like that........if you're sure.......? After all, you're used to sleeping alone and probably don't want me snoring away next to you........"

       "Nonsense! Come along and snuggle down." He laughed suddenly. "You probably snore less than I do - no doubt Rose would have prodded you if you'd been too loud. I've had no-one here to dig me in the ribs and tell me to be quiet. You'll have to do that if I start rumbling like Gimli!"

       "Didn't Mr.Bilbo live here then?" Sam settled himself beside Frodo.

       "Only occasionally. He stayed with the Elves most of the time. He'd grown used to it, living in Rivendell for so long. We stayed with them while they dug the smial for us, and then he decided he preferred Elven architecture. To be honest I was a bit lonely. I love the Elves but there's only so much poetry and singing I can take in a day!" Frodo turned to give Sam another hug. "Oh Sam!" His voice cracked. "You smell of flowers .....and.....pipeweed.....and......home!" He buried his face in Sam's neck as he choked on a sob. Scalding tears ran down and soaked Sam's nightshirt collar.

       "There, there, m'dear, it's alright. Your Sam's here now." He rubbed his hand in soothing circles over Frodo's back until the storm had passed, wondering just how much Frodo had missed his home and friends. He clicked his tongue in irritation that Mr.Bilbo had gone off again. Didn't even wait till I got here, drat it! What was he thinking, breaking Frodo's heart yet again?

       Frodo sniffed and fumbled under the pillow for a handkerchief. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to break down like that, Sam. I was just overwhelmed. I'm so happy you're here."

       "And I'm happy to be here. Don't you get any daft ideas of trying to follow Mr.Bilbo now, will you?" It was a fear which chilled him like an early frost, the thought that Frodo would let go of life and follow his uncle.

       Frodo raised his head and kissed Sam's cheek. "I promise I won't. Why should I need to when I have you here. I told you, when we do go we shall go together, and that won't be for a long time yet I hope. You don't want to..............?" He left the question hanging in the air and Sam shook his head firmly.

       "I love my Rose and I know I'll see her again one day. But I want to spend a long time with you. We have sixty years to catch up on." He closed his eyes, his arm still round Frodo, who had settled back with his head pillowed on Sam's right shoulder. After a few moments his arm snaked over Sam's chest so he could rest his hand on his friend's heart.

       "The only good memory of those terrible days was your presence and warmth. Even in Mordor you were warm and comforting to snuggle up to, and you made me feel safe."

       "I always remember how fragile you seemed, and how I needed to keep you close."

       "You don't have to worry now. I'm here and we're both safe. There is no safer place to be. Goodnight, dearest Sam. Sleep well now."

       "Oh I'm sure I will, m'dear," he murmured, and slipped off to sleep with no trouble, Frodo reassuringly warm against him.

                                                                              ************

       When he awoke, the space beside him was empty. For a moment he panicked, then he heard soft humming from the kitchen, and the clink of cups.

       "Frodo?"

       "Don't you dare get out of bed, Sam Gamgee! I promised you tea in bed this morning." He appeared in the doorway, his curls still tousled, carrying a tray with tea mugs and a plate of biscuits. He had an impish grin on his face, the sort Sam had not seen since before the Quest.

       Once they were settled, munching excellent home-made biscuits and sipping hot tea, Frodo turned to Sam. "Sorry I burst into tears like that. It was just.......I thought of Bag End and the Shire and everything I left behind, and I've never really dared to think of those things before. But out of everything I left, nothing was worse than leaving you, my dearest friend of friends. Not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you and it never became any easier. I hoped you didn't hate me for leaving............."

       "Hate you?! Bless me, I could never hate you, dearest master. I knew why you went, even though it broke my heart. At least I could tell myself you were alive and healed, even if I couldn't see you. If you'd stayed in the Shire I'd likely have been visiting your grave and weeping far more bitter tears than I did."

       "What would you like to do today?" Frodo was almost bouncing on the bed, excited as a young hobbit on Overlithe Night. "There's so much I want to show you, and we can go down to the shore and paddle, and you can inspect the garden and tell me where I'm going wrong."

       "Didn't look as though you're doing anything wrong to me! It all seems to be growing perfectly from what I could see. Do you get snails and greenfly here?"

       Frodo laughed. "If everything is growing well it is because I had a very good teacher. Yes, we do have snails and greenfly but they seem to be balanced out by hedgehogs and ladybirds. I think we should have breakfast. There's a bath when you want one - Elven plumbing of course, and the water is heated by the range."

       They had a good breakfast in the airy kitchen, savouring bacon and mushrooms and lots of tea. Sam was surprised that tea was available.

       "It grows on Valinor, as most things do, but the Elves don't use it. They knew what it was, naturally, so they pick enough for tea-starved hobbits, dry it and make sure I have enough. They also supply all my meat. I don't think I could kill anything myself so they bring ham and bacon and chicken for me. I grow vegetables and fruit and I have a couple of hens just for the eggs. I also have bees and that honey is theirs, I'm proud to say. Oh, and I brew my own ale and grow enough pipeweed for our needs - and Gandalf's."

       "Frodo Baggins, you've become a regular working hobbit and your biscuit baking rivals my Mum's!" Frodo stood and bowed, his eyes sparkling.

       They made their way down to the shore, walking slowly across the pale sand. Sam found it strange the way it oozed between his toes. Where the sun had been shining it was quite warm and very fine. He picked up a handful and watched it trickle through his fingers, the fine grains spinning away in the breeze. He regarded the sea cautiously but did not want to disappoint Frodo. They wandered down to the water's edge and Sam braced himself for the sensation.

       "Oh!" he said wonderingly. "It's nice - the water isn't really cold and it's soft and soothing."

       "Lord Elrond recommended sea water for my wounds and I must say it helped a lot. I used to tip it over my shoulder and the back of my neck, and dabble my hands in it, but as I grew stronger I took to swimming in it.

       Gandalf brought water from Este's healing fountain, and I had to drink some every day for a long time."

       "But it worked.........." Sam gazed anxiously into those vivd eyes. The sapphire in Lord Elrond's ring could not be more blue.

       "Yes, it worked...........that and just being here. Something in the air and the water fights weakness, illness, age and pain. Here on the Lonely Isle we are in sight of Valinor even though we can never go there - its beauty is too great for mortals to endure. It is enough that we can see the towers of Tirion in Eldamar. Time is different too. But I think the most important thing was the hope that one day you would come. I used to imagine you at home in Bag End and wonder what you were doing. Sometimes when I looked into the Phial I thought I could see....... you and the Shire and Bag End in the sun, and children running about. I dreamed about sailing back to Middle-earth and surprising you. So many of my dreams were of you, Sam."

       "And mine were of you, dearest master. I used to watch the sunsets and send my love with it into the West. I enjoyed my time in the Shire - I loved my wife and children and I was happy, but there was always a part of my heart given to another. Rose knew, of course, although I never told her what you said to me that day at the Havens. Only ever told Ellie, and she knew how to keep her old Dad's secrets, but Rose said to me when she was..........dying, 'Now Sam, I've had you for sixty years because dear Mr.Frodo was a sweet unselfish soul, but you go to him when I've gone. He's waited a long time and I'm giving you back to him. You belong together, you two. I knew that when you came back from your travels. Go to him with my blessing. I'll wait for both of you, and one day we'll all be together and never be parted again.' Of course I tried to stop such talk - didn't like her to say she was going, all calm like, but she just said, 'Sam, you daft bugger, you'll do as I ask this one more time, or I'll come back and haunt you like Tanto Hornblower's aunt Violet did when she threw saucepans round the smial after he went and wed Primrose Boffin.' She could be forceful, my Rose-wife." He smiled ruefully.

       "I'm so sorry, Sam. I know how much you loved each other..........I knew she'd look after you as you deserved, and she did. She made you happy - far happier than you'd have been with me moping about and slowly fading into who-knows-what. Your children married into the Tooks and Brandybucks and your grand-children will be Thain, Master and Mayor. You deserve everything you had, my dearest friend, and I only hope you feel you made the right decision, coming here. You leave far more behind than I did.........except I left my whole world behind when I left you. I shall always be grateful to dear Rose for giving this her blessing." Frodo tucked his arm through Sam's as they walked along in the waves.

       "Besides, I was always one for going off traipsing after Elves, and I did say I'd follow you to the end of the world and beyond......."

       "And you have. And here you are, paddling in the seas of Valinor! You are a most adventurous hobbit, Samwise Gamgee. When your foothair is nine inches long and you have to plait it and tie it up with a ribbon, don't blame me!"

       "Who else am I going to blame, Frodo Baggins?" Sam demanded, laughing. Frodo let go of his arm and ran, giggling, along the sand, with a startled Sam in hot pursuit.

       On the slope above, Gandalf and Elrond looked at each other and exchanged delighted smiles.

                                                                              ************

       Some time later, the two hobbits walked up the slope, flushed and chuckling. They wandered along the grass until they came to a large and rather straggly hedge.

       "This marks the border of the grounds of the Elven dwellings," Frodo explained. Sam pursed his lips.

       "The Elves are wonderful folk - fair and noble and all - but not one of 'em knows how to use a pair of trimmers!"

       A peal of musical laughter echoed from the other side of the hedge, and a beautiful female Elf appeared and walked towards them. She looked a little like Galadriel, but her hair was more silver than gold. Sam looked very embarrassed and blushed hotly and stared at his feet.

       "Sam, this is the Lady Celebrian, Lord Elrond's wife. My lady, this is......"

       "..........Samwise Gamgee, your dear friend and companion." She crouched and took Sam's small hand in hers.

       "I'm sorry, m'lady. I meant no offense................" Sam mumbled, flushed as red as a beetroot.

       "None taken, my dear Master Samwise. Such practicality is most refreshing. You are a famous gardener - oh yes, your fame has spread, even here. How is my Naneth's mallorn?"

       "Beautiful and flourishing, towering up until she almost touches the sky. I still can't believe the honour the Lady bestowed on the Shire in giving us a mallorn. It was a privilege to look after it, and my son looks after it now. I made sure it would be in good hands."

        "We have mallorns here, so hopefully you will feel at home. Although I think your home is where Frodo is, wherever that may be. Am I right?" She smiled and wrapped an arm round each of them.

       "I reckon that's true. Feels as though we've never been apart." Sam darted a glance at Frodo, who beamed and nodded.

       "I missed Sam terribly - it was like losing a limb. He is the other half of my soul, I think........"

        "The love and companionship you share is wonderful to behold, my friends. Soul-friends indeed." Celebrian kissed them both on their brows. "I do hope you will come and dine with us soon and listen to our songs. Perhaps you will bring some of your own? You are always welcome."

        Sam watched her walk away, still a little awed. This lady was the daughter of Galadriel and the mother of Queen Arwen and the twins.

        "Can't see the Elves taking to the sort of songs Merry and Pip sing when they've had a few!" he muttered.

        Frodo howled. "'The Maid of Michel Delving' for a start! I can just see Lord Elrond's face if we gave them that one!" He flopped down on a tussock and clutched his ribs. Sam joined him, wiping tears of laughter.

        "Aye, or 'Nineteen Nights in Nobottle,' complete with hand gestures! Just trying to picture Gildor and Glorfindel joining in on those!" He found his handkerchief and wiped his eyes. Frodo was still giggling, and the more he tried to stop the more impossible it became. He buried his head in Sam's jacket.

       "We could.............," he wheezed, "...............try 'The Virgin of Staddle'..............."

       "Didn't think there were any virgins in Staddle," said Sam wrily, and set them off again.

       "Oh Sam! I never thought I'd laugh like this again. Haven't done this since I was a tween and Pimple slipped over in the mud on Overlithe Night. He split his trousers and landed face down in a cowpat with his rear on view to Shire society! Oh! I couldn't breathe I was laughing so hard!"

       "Couldn't have happened to a nicer person! If he'd been joined by Ted Sandyman it would have been perfect!"

       "Uncle Rory said, 'I've always said that boy had a face like a smacked arse and there's the proof!' right in earshot of Lobelia. She screamed and rushed over to help Pimple, slipped in the same mud and fell on top of him. I almost had to be helped away." Frodo tried to swallow another burst of chuffling giggles but they frothed up like fizzy Southfarthing wine.

       "Don't think I've ever seen my old Gaffer laugh so hard. Merry was lying on the floor on his back and shrieking, and Mr.Bilbo slid right under the table."

      "Do you remember the year Merry and Pip spiked Ted's beer with herbs that....um.....had a rather violent laxative effect?" Frodo pushed his curls back, still gasping and giggling.

       "They say he didn't come out of the privvy for two days! Did I tell you he moved away when I was elected Mayor? Went to Bree and his cousin Jeb took over the mill. Folk never really forgave him for cozying up to Sharkey's men during the troubles so relations were always a bit strained. Then he got himself arrested by Robin Smallburrow - and you can guess how much Rob enjoyed that! - and he was killed in a fight a few years later."

       "Some people never learn anything from life, Sam. They go on making the same mistakes and they don't have the heart or the mind to understand the lessons in front of them. Ted always was a bad lot - your mother disliked him and always told me not to trust him. What happened to those ugly strangers in and around Bree?"

       "The Rangers took care of them. They still patrol the borders of the Shire, making sure men obey the King's law that no Big People enter. Aragorn himself refused to enter - we met him at the Brandywine Bridge when he was staying at Annuminas, and later we all went and stayed there. The children thought it was the greatest adventure, and Ellie became one of the Queen's ladies-in-waiting. Now there's a thing - old Sam Gamgee's daughter as lady-in-waiting to the Queen of Gondor."

       "I'm sure the Queen is honoured to have a daughter of yours as one of her ladies. You always were far too modest, my Sam." He turned and pointed towards the towers of Avallone, close to the harbour, gleaming white in the sun. "That's where the Elves live on Tol Eressa. Many go on to Eldamar eventually but some stay here. Somehow I don't think 'Nineteen Nights in Nobottle' would be suitable in such surroundings. We'll have to invite Gandalf over and the three of us can sing it."

       "But Gandalf's really a Maia............"

       "Yes he is, but he lived in Middle-earth for a long time and loved the Shire, trips to the Green Dragon and the Prancing Pony. He's very down-to-earth despite his immortality. I think it's the reason why he became the greatest of the Istari." He took Sam's arm again and they turned for home, singing quietly and chuckling.

                                                                              ************   

       After a satisfying lunch the two settled on the couch and Frodo produced a book of Numenorean history. Sam half closed his eyes and sighed contentedly as the much-loved voice began to read the story of the great kingdom and its downfall. He had heard that soft voice in his mind over the years, the cultured way of speaking, the gentle humour, but to actually hear it again was better than he had hoped. It washed over him like a soft rain on a parched garden, restoring something he thought he had lost.

       "You make even terrible things sound interesting, Frodo." Sam glanced sideways as the voice ceased on the tale of Numenor sinking beneath the waves.

       "Flattery will get you everywhere." Frodo grinned and closed the book. "I'll go and put the kettle on."

       "Won't suit you - you'll just look silly in it," Sam quipped, and the two laughed.

       "I like this new Sam - more daring, bolder, cheekier and very funny." Frodo stood with his head on one side, considering. "You never cease to amaze me, Sam."

       They prepared dinner and put the chicken casserole in the oven to cook. After tea and cake they went to look at the garden. Frodo stood by, twisting his hands anxiously as he waited for Sam's judgement. He watched as Sam carefully lifted flower heads and inspected fruit trees, nodding occasionally and muttering to himself. Finally he could contain himself no longer.

       "Well? For the love of Eru, put me out of my misery and tell me it's terrible!"

       "Terrible? It's amazing! This is a beautiful and well-tended garden, and nothing needs doing to it. You have worked wonders, Frodo, and I mean that. What a gift." Sam glowed as he spoke, and his hazel eyes shone with admiration. Frodo gave a little laugh and grabbed his hands and danced him round.

       "Over there is the barley field where I grow the main ingredient for the ale and round the other side is the pipeweed - only a small area but it yields well. Mushrooms grow in the woods but I also grow some in the cellar - you know what I'm like when it comes to mushrooms."

       "You and your mushrooms. I couldn't believe it when Maggott called you one of the worst young rascals in Buckland! I was fair ready to chew his ear for that but you laughed and I realised it was true. Wish I'd seen you at your rascally best - I couldn't quite imagine my scholarly Mr.Frodo stealing mushrooms and being chased for it."

       "Oh I was a terror when I was in my teens and tweens. No wonder Merry was so naughty - I was a very bad example." He chuckled. "I taught him all he later taught Pip." He tucked his arm through Sam's. "Let's go and find some pipeweed and you can give me your opinion."

       Sam found the pipweed to be very good - a little like Longbottom Leaf - and after a very fine dinner of chicken casserole topped with crispy slices of potato, followed by strawberries and cream, they sat outside on the bench, a jar of pipeweed on the table in front of them. Frodo darted inside and emerged with two foaming mugs, then waited eagerly for Sam's views.

       "Now that is a fine brew. Not unlike the Green Dragon's finest, and lighter than Barliman's." He smacked his lips and pondered. "Smooth and slightly sharp with a good clean taste. I daresay the water here is very good and pure, which makes a difference." He sipped again. "There's a lovely nutty taste to it. I bow to you again, Frodo Baggins! You are the most talented hobbit."

       "Have you ever brewed your own ale, Sam?" Frodo took a long pull from his own mug and savoured the taste.

       "No, I never got round to trying it. You'll have to show me how it's done, and how you manage to get such a good balance of flavours. Bless me, I never had you down as a brewer but you seem to be able to turn your hand to anything!" He helped himself from the jar and filled his pipe.

       "You mean I have something to teach Sam Gamgee? Now that must be a first!"

       "That wouldn't be the tiniest smirk on your face now, would it?" Sam peered at Frodo.

       "Mmmm. Possibly just a very small one. Look! The lamps are being lit."

       Below them the creamy froth on the waves glowed in the twilight. Further along to their left they saw the lamps upon the quay of Avallone being lit by two tall Elves, and in the windows of the buildings lights were becoming visible. They could hear the distant sound of singing and the soft sussurration of the waves. It reminded Sam of Lothlorien and that sensation of being outside Time. He had been aware of it all his life to some extent, because he barely changed while those around him aged, but it was strongest here.

       "Do you have seasons here?" he asked.

       "Not really. Things grow all year round because it never gets really cold. There's thick ice and snow in parts of Valinor but no-one goes there. We have perfect growing conditions all year. I didn't really have to do much to the garden - it just grows."

       "Don't want to do nothing all the time - don't you get weeds?" Frodo went into peals of laughter.

       "Oh yes, we most certainly do! They grow as well as everything else. Chickweed and blasted thistles have been the bane of my life since I started this garden, sneaking in every time my back's turned. I went for a walking trip with Bilbo once, and came back to find the garden overrun with the things. Took me a long time to restore order."

       "Now weeds I can deal with. You leave them to me. Where did you get the peaches from? I didn't see a peach tree anywhere."

       "It's rather exposed up here - they grow in the warmer spots, and the Elves have ornate glasshouses and conservatories where they grow the more delicate crops. They've invited us to go and look at them whenever we like."

       "Always wanted a big glasshouse - they had some in Ithilien when we went to Gondor. I had a small one for raising seedlings and such but I'd have loved one big enough to grow orange and lemon trees." Sam watched the breeze ruffle Frodo's hair.

       "I'm sure the Elves would be only too happy to build one for you. You could grow whatever you liked, and even on chilly or wet days there would be somewhere cozy to work. Not that you're supposed to be working, dear Sam. You've worked hard all your life and I'm supposed to be spoiling you."

       "I'd feel all wrong, not doing anything. But working alongside you and being with you  ...........  well, that's an Elven blessing and no mistake." He looked at the stars which shone brightly here, and marvelled at how they seemed to rest in Frodo's hair and sparkle in his eyes, making him look more ethereal then ever.

       "Yes it is," Frodo whispered in reply.

       "Are you cold?"

       "No, but I suppose we should think about supper and sleep. We have many more such perfect days to look forward to, my dear Samwise. I remember telling a little Shire lad that many years ago when we spent a day in the garden." He smiled fondly and Sam nodded.

       "Aye. I remember that little lad, and the young gentlehobbit who told enchanting stories of Elves and adventures and quite turned his head." They stood and walked towards the door. "We've been a long way and the road was hard, but to be here now is more perfect than I could have wished."

       "Look, Sam. Starlight on the sea. Do you remember the song of the Elves that night in the woods?" He turned to gaze at his friend, eyes bright with memory and they spoke the lines together.

                     "'Oh Elbereth! Gilthoniel!

                     We still remember, we who dwell,

                     In this far land beneath the trees,

                    The starlight on the Western seas.'"

       "And there it is," Sam whispered. "Never thought when we listened to that song that one day we'd get to see it, did we?"

       "No. But I'm so glad you're here to see it with me. That makes it much more special."

       The green door closed behind them and the only sound was the sighing of the waves and the distant singing of the Elves.

                                                            ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List