Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Seeing Isn't Always Believing  by shirebound

This story was written by Shirebound and Mews for the 2007 birthday of Aprilkat, as a sequel to the short story "Frodo Laughed" written by Mews in her Livejournal.  Kittens have been brought to Frodo’s bed in Minas Tirith to cheer him. Movie-verse.



A WARM SUN SHINING

Frodo lay back against the soft pillow, the smallest kitten warm and calm on his chest.

I don't even know where I am, or if this is real. The thought, coming into his head so suddenly, made him tremble, and he felt panic fluttering like a trapped sparrow in his chest.

"Sir?" Sam sensed his distress and understood his feelings, as always. "Are you sure you're all right?"

"Sam, it's all so overwhelming," Frodo whispered. As a few memories and images came flooding back, his breathing grew erratic.

"I felt the same when I woke up and saw Gandalf. I thought I was dead."

"Are you sure we're not?" Frodo asked anxiously.

"I'm sure," Sam said. "Here, you just need to watch this little 'un for a few minutes." He kept his voice low and soft. "Put your hand on her, just there. Feel her breathing, sir? So even?"

Frodo lay his hand on the kitten's back, feeling the even breaths and rumbling purr. The little one stretched out and exposed her belly, and Frodo started laughing again. He gently rubbed the velvety fur. The expression on his face softened, and Sam could see his master's breathing slow to the rhythm of the kitten's.

Frodo looked at Sam wonderingly. "Where are we?"

"This is Minas Tirith."

"Boromir's city?"

"Yes, Mr. Frodo." Sam's smile was a bit tremulous.

But Frodo wasn't ready to think more about Boromir just yet, and his thoughts drifted instead to the fact that the rest of the Fellowship had come through safely.

"Aragorn was dressed so fine," he said at last. "Is he king yet?"

"I don't know," Sam frowned. "Gandalf said we were in the keeping of the King, but Strider said he was waiting for us to wake up before 'the ceremonial' could take place."

Just then the two other kittens, clearly feeling ignored, climbed up Frodo's legs and tried to find places of their own on his chest.

"Pushy little things, aren't they?" Sam grinned. "Are they too heavy, sir?"

"Not at all." Frodo smiled, relaxed and calm once more. He and Sam watched as the two kittens squirmed about their sister, trying to get comfortable. They finally decided on Frodo's lap where they curled together into a warm, wriggling ball, and their purring could be plainly heard -- a low, humming vibration. The first "little 'un", as Sam had called her, retained her place of honor on Frodo's chest.

The kittens settled for the moment, Frodo's attention was caught by the open window, its silken curtains fluttering in a light breeze. Sunlight flooded the room, bathing everything in a golden hue.

"I thought we'd never see the sun again," Frodo said quietly. He lifted his left hand and examined the bandages.

"Does it hurt?" Sam asked anxiously.

"No, my dear Sam," Frodo said. "I feel very tired, but not in any pain." Suddenly his eyes widened in wonder. "Sam, I remember the eagles! For a moment I could breathe clean air, and the wind was fresh, and. . ." He looked around the room. "And then I was here."

"That's right, sir," Sam said. "I can scarce believe it myself." He yawned.

Frodo could tell that Sam also felt weary. It wasn't only Sam, he reflected, who had become so attuned to his companion's thoughts and feelings during the quest.

"Sam," he said, stroking the kitten's back with two fingers, "you are tired and chilled. Come, you can get into the bed next to me."

Sam flushed. "Oh, now, that wouldn't be. . ."

"Proper?" Frodo interrupted. He did not raise his voice, not wishing to disturb the kittens, but he gave Sam a stern look that stopped him in mid protest. "Sam Gamgee, you've been my friend and comrade through such hardships as no hobbit should ever have to suffer. Nothing could be more proper than that we share the warmth and comfort we have here."

He smiled and drew back the counterpane and sheet, shifting a bit to make room. "Come, Sam, I hear the servers bringing our luncheon."

Sam hesitated for only a moment longer, then, bashfully, blushing, he clambered up onto the bed and sat beside Frodo, with one of the plump feather pillows at his back, and the downy coverlet and sheet to cover his feet and legs. He put out a tentative hand to rub a kitten's head, and felt himself relaxing even more.

There was a polite rapping on the door.

"Come in," Frodo called. The door opened, and the servers entered with a heavily laden wheeled cart.

Sam tensed a bit, as though he were preparing to get out of bed to help serve. Frodo laid his hand on Sam's arm, pressing gently. "Sam, truly, you can relax."

There were two maidservants in crisp white dresses and aprons, as well as the server who pushed the cart, and all of them nodded and smiled. The maid with carrot-gold hair that escaped in tendrils from beneath her snowy coif, said, "Indeed, little masters, we're to serve you and see to your every need. You have only to speak and your wishes will be met. I am Aredhel, and this is Sirith."

Frodo and Sam looked at the girls curiously, as they were the first maidens of the race of Men they had seen, but their attention was diverted when Aredhel came to the bed and began to gather the kittens, who protested with sleepy squeaks.

"Please, do not take them," Frodo said.

"We will not, but they must be moved in order to serve your luncheon, lord," she said. Her face was freckled, and when she smiled, she showed dimples. "Shall I put them at your feet?"

"All right."

Aredhel settled the two from his lap on the counterpane, against his feet, then gently lifted the "little 'un" from her cosy place on Frodo's chest and tucked her against her brothers. The furry huddle squirmed for a few seconds, then settled down again.

Sirith, who was a bit taller, with large brown eyes and a quiet manner, brought a wooden tray with short legs at its four corners and set it over their laps, like a table. It was quite large enough to serve them both, and Sam marveled at its construction, leaning over to inspect the legs, as Aredhel fetched large, round platters made of silver that were covered with silver domes. She set one in front of Frodo and the other in front of Sam and lifted away the domes with a flourish.

Sam gasped and Frodo stared. Set on the silver platters were plates only slightly smaller, made of pure white china, each containing at least a dozen portions of different foods, some in their own small serving-bowls.

"Lord Aragorn suggested that the fare be light, but plentiful," Aredhel said, with a pleased smile at their reaction. "When you have eaten your fill, just let us know what pleases you most, and we will see to it that larger portions are available for your next meals." She set a pitcher of water on the table next to the bed, along with two matching goblets.

"We are at your service," Frodo said, but the girls only blushed and curtseyed before exiting with the server.

"Lord Aragorn will make a very wise king," Frodo said, looking over the food appreciatively. He picked up a silver fork, sized perfectly for him, and urged Sam to do the same.

Sam inhaled deeply, feeling a rush of wonder that he and his master had survived to once again breathe fresh air, feel soft, clean sheets, see warm, bright sunlight, and eat delicious food. Just then his stomach rumbled, and Frodo laughed delightedly.

"Now I know we're not dead," he chuckled. "Tuck in, Sam. The roast potatoes are lovely."

It was all lovely. Besides the delicately herbed roast fowl and potatoes, there were new peas, a fragrant loaf of soft bread, several different soups, and whipped, flavored ices with cream. The hobbits ate with relish, enjoying new tastes along with familiar ones.

"I know who might enjoy the rest of this cream," Frodo said, spying three tiny faces peering at him over the lip of the tray. The little female put her paws on the tray's edge and peered at the dishes as though debating climbing up amongst them. Although still sleepy, the kittens had come to claim their share of the feast. Frodo set the bowl on the counterpane, and all three kittens were soon lapping up the sweet cream.

At last every morsel was done, and the two hobbits and three kittens yawned nearly in unison. Sam insisted that Frodo remain where he was and took it upon himself to scramble down from the bed and set the tray and empty dishes on the table. With only a bit of hesitation this time, he returned and lay down next to Frodo.

* * *

A quarter hour later, Aragorn came to check on his friends, and the sight before him brought a smile to his lips. Frodo and Sam lay side by side, fast asleep, limbs entwined as must have brought them comfort in the cold, dark lands of the East. Two of the kittens slept at Frodo's feet, but the smallest was curled between Frodo's chin and shoulder, busily washing her paws. She looked up and prrrupped, and the King of the West bent to stroke her soft head before bestowing a gentle kiss on the brow of each hobbit, safe at last in his keeping.

** END **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List