Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Allergic Reaction  by Mysterious Jedi

Chapter 3:Consequences

 Disclaimer: I don't own Lord of the Rings places, characters, etc. Tolkien's stuff does not belong to me. (Hmmm.if Aragorn is Isildur's heir, I wonder if he also has rights to Tolkien's work?)

Elrohir had to literally tie Estel's hands down to keep him from scratching. Fortunately for Estel, it was a soft but durable elven rope, which functioned properly without being uncomfortable. (It is told among hobbits that many years later Samwise Gamgee learned how to make them after his adventures with Frodo Baggins, but no one else born a mortal has ever achieved such a skill.)

"I don't care if it makes it worse. At least it helps! How can you side with Ada at a time like this, after all the trouble we have gotten into together? You are traitors! Stop trying to mother me!"

"It could be worse. Our mother deserted us for the undying lands west of the sea! We just had Ada to take care of us. You have Ada, Gilraen, and us to look after you." countered Elladan.

Despite his intensity in debate, Elladan was remorseful. Not only had he lost his own mother because of orcs, but also Estel's father had been killed by orcs right in front of Elladan. Now he was being called a traitor not totally inaccurately (in his mind), though Estel said that for the wrong reason.

Estel tried to free his ands, but the secure knot made his efforts futile. He wished his brothers would just leave him alone. It was no wonder elves thought men were weak if they watched allergic reactions and tied up their patients.

"Please help," he begged, "I'm going to laugh when you are injured and Ada tortures you. It's just a little poison ivy. Ada said it's normal for my people to get it."

"Estel, we're doing this in your own best interest." argued Elrohir.

"I don't want you to so you shouldn't. I'll be careful when I scratch. I know what I'm doing." " You're not supposed to scratch at all. That's what Ada said," said Elrohir.

Elrond and his sons were not mistaken. The problem began to spread over every part of the body that Estel touched because of his scratching.

Soon Elrond returned. He took Estel away from his brothers and put him in an oatmeal bath. He was not pleased with the poison's spread. The patches of poison ivy were all over Estel's neck, chest, back, arms, and legs. It was not a pleasant thing to look at.

"I don't have to eat all this, do I?" asked a shocked Estel who was looking at the bathtub filled with oatmeal.

"It is not for eating. It is to relieve your discomfort." Elrond said with an amused smile.

The bath did bring Estel temporary comfort. Seeing this, Elrond left and asked Elrohir to keep an eye on his brother.

Unfortunately, Elladan was left alone to ponder his guilt and grief. He decided to take the approach of men and hobbits of eating and sleeping to help make his heart merry, since he then realized that his worries were totally illogical. It was a very good thing for him that elves cannot overeat!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List