Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Allergic Reaction  by Mysterious Jedi

Chapter 5-Precautions

Disclaimer-Middle Earth was discovered by Tolkien, I'm just visiting.

Elrond led his sons all around Imladris, marking dangerous areas with little red flags. Estel was just observing so that he would not fall into danger while trying to take precautions. Elladan and Elrohir were not enjoying the work, but realized its necessity. Glorfindel had come along to help, and Elrond watched to make sure that the others knew what they were doing.

"Look, Ada, I found athelas!" shouted Estel enthusiastically. "Now you can help people get better!"

Elrond acknowledged the youngest of the group with a smile and a nod. He cut the kingsfoil and let Estel carry it. He was proud of his son's remarkable progress in herb lore.

Not to be outdone by his foster brother, Elladan pointed out plants that all seemed to have three leaves. "These must be poison ivy. I didn't realize how much there is. Keep Estel back."

Elrohir looked where Elladan was pointing. "That's clover, you idiot," he laughed.

"Be nice, Elrohir. Elladan, that is clover. It will cause no harm to Estel. I'll go over the plants with you again tonight.

Elladan was thoroughly embarrassed. One would think that through the centuries of studying under his father, he would have learned these kinds of things.

That evening, Elladan went to Elrond's study to review common plants. Elrond did not humiliate his son, but gently instructed him and rebuilt his confidence.

As awkward as he felt, Elladan enjoyed spending time alone with his ada. He resolved to work harder and please his father.

Meanwhile, Elrohir read aloud to Estel. He read again the Lay of Luthien, which Estel never tired of hearing. Elrohir knew the child would be an excellent storyteller in the future. For the present, though, Estel was quite content to repeatedly ask why Elves got all the luck, why King Thingol was discriminatory, and whether or not Beren had ever had an allergic reaction.

Elladan found Estel asleep on Elrohir’s lap. Elrohir smiled contentedly at his brother. He suspected that someday they would have to help the young heir of Isildur with problems far worse than poison ivy. They would not waste any of the precious time they had to teach and nurture Estel.

Gilraen came in and put Estel to bed. She smiled at the sons of Elrond. Elrond had become like a father to her little boy. She, also, was apprehensive about the future, but she felt perfectly secure knowing that Estel had a double family, including double foster brothers. The young king in exile was protected by Men and Elves, and hidden from the Enemy. She did not hold it against the sons of Elrond if they got into occasional mischief.

As Elrond entered and surveyed the cozy scene, he contemplated that, despite Estel’s questions about the fairness of the races, he had family relationships rivaling that of any elf.

The mischief of boys would only develop character, and someday Estel himself would be a great healer himself and much better able to understand allergic reactions than any elf ever could.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List