Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Gardener's Bond  by Mysterious Jedi

Gardener’s Bond Chapter Three- Dreadful Diagnosis

Disclaimer: I have a wicked plot to make Frodo dream that LOTR is mine so that I may take over all of Middle Earth…no, I don’t suppose that would work.

 

No one had ever discovered exactly what Brandywine Water Fever was. All they knew was that it was somehow linked to extensive contact with the Brandywine River. There was a broad range of symptoms. Part of the terror of the disease came from its unpredictable effects.

Because of all this, Sam was horrified when he realized Frodo had become ill with it. Even if he recovered quickly, the onslaught of Brandywine Water Fever was certain to cause nasty rumors concerning his youth. He would lose respect because Hobbiton hobbits never had unexpected adventures or odd notions about rivers that would lead them into the Brandywine’s midst. Not only would Frodo receive slander, but the illness would also remind the community of the untimely drowning of Frodo’s parents in the very river that was blamed for the illness. Sam feared for the emotional and physical well being of his master should anyone discover what plague had invaded Bag End.

Frodo was unaware of these concerns as he slept. His sleep was not tranquil, however. He frequently woke up cold and sweaty, coughs lingering in his already raw throat. Daytime hours merged with the night in his disoriented mind. The lure of sleep tantalized him, but his pain distracted his mind from his efforts to rest.

Sam was disturbed by his master’s condition, but thankful that Frodo did not know the identity of his tormentor. He sat on the bed and gently massaged the trembling shoulders and back. Frodo seemed to relax under these ministrations, and fell asleep to the soothing voice of his loyal gardener.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List