Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Gardener's Bond  by Mysterious Jedi

Gardener’s Bond Chapter 4-Tender Loving Care

Disclaimer: I have rights to nothing except random urges to write

Bilbo Baggins anxiously set out towards the Shire. He did not know what effect Brandywine Water Fever would have on his heir, but he knew that he must be with Frodo during this time. Being an orphan was hard enough without adding obscure diseases. Even in his hurry, it took Bilbo several weeks to reach the Shire.

He immediately sent for Robin Brandybuck, a hobbit healer with a voice more beautiful than the bird she was named after and skills to match. True to her reputation, Robin arrived at Bag End only shortly after Bilbo did, to the relief of Bilbo and Sam alike.

As Robin checked Frodo, Bilbo and Sam sat in the kitchen talking over a cup of tea. "I’ve never known Frodo to take to bed so much as he’s been doin’ lately." Sam commented, "and he’s only eatin’ two or three meals a day."

"I’m certain you’ve made sure he had plenty of easy foods, Samwise. I’ve never known a Gamgee to let a Baggins go hungry."

"That’s right good of you, but he won’t take much of anything. It’s most unnatural." Sam said with a blush.

At that moment Robin appeared beside them, satchel in hand. "He seems to have the usual coughing, fever, dehydration, lack of appetite, and muscle aches; however, I see no signs of any significant loss of strength. I’ll be staying in a local inn until he is well on the way to recovery. Also, be sure he is in familiar surroundings at all times. Give him as much food as he’ll take, with plenty of water, tea, and juices. Make sure someone he knows well is with him whenever he wakes up. Tell me immediately if you see any worsening in his condition."

She gave them some medicine for the symptoms before leaving. Bilbo and Sam set up alternating watches so that Frodo would never be alone. Sam’s Gaffer brought most of their meals. This continued for several days until Frodo woke up for a significant amount of time.

***

Frodo’s POV

I awoke with a cold sweat covering my entire body. What was wrong with me? I tried to sit up, but it only made the room turn in odd directions and I reeled drunkenly.

"Don’t strain yourself." Bilbo said. "Just rest easy. Sam and I are here to take care of you." He held a cup of warm tea with honey up to my lips, but signaled that I was not to try to speak.

Sam seemed to sense that I was awake and was there almost instantly with a bowl of chicken and mushroom soup. I did not feel like eating much, but I forced myself to because of Sam and Bilbo’s wishes. What was Sam doing here? He was even younger than I, and had not training as a healer. I finished the soup at last and smiled over at Sam. He looked far too worried. I wanted to ask what was happening, but my throat was too sore and they did not seem to want me speaking, anyway.

Slowly, Bilbo began to tell an old story about a previous age, his strong voice taking us back in time to a wondrous land of knights and heroes. Eagerly, he gestured to the large map on the table, showing the exact paths the characters in his story used. He distracted Sam and me with tales about elves and dwarves and men as we reclined in my dimly candle-lit bedroom. Vaguely wondering if the story was true or one of Bilbo’s creations, I fell back to sleep.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List