Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Gondorian New Year   by Periantari

Chapter 1

25, March 1420

“Happy New Year, Frodo!”

“Hey Pip, what a pleasant surprise! Oh yes, today is the Gondorian New Year, I almost forgot! What are you doing here?” asked Frodo as he opened the door to the Cotton’s house, which he was staying at.

“I came to see how you were doing,” responded Pippin enthusiastically as he gave his elder cousin a big hug. “Merry couldn’t be here because he has some business to tend to in Buckland, but he thought it would be good for one of us to pay you and Sam a visit because it has been a year since the Quest was officially over, and I thought I should like to see how you’re doing. And also to see if Sam remembered so that he could cook us a good meal commemorating the event,” said Pippin slyly with a mischievous grin on his face.

“Sam definitely remembered. This morning we had a great breakfast and elevenses with many cakes about. You should’ve come earlier… the food’s gone now,” replied Frodo with a grin.

The hobbits went for a walk in the clear, beautiful day. It was hard to believe that it had already been a year since Frodo and Sam had finally reached Mount Doom and destroyed the Ring.

“A year ago was when I first had slain the troll. I was so angry, but it is a part that definitely is going into your book, Frodo!” said Pippin. But then his smile faded and his face looked troubled even though the sun glistened on top of his brown curls and the birds chirped cheerily in the backdrop of where they were walking. “I was so depressed at that moment, and all hope left me when the dreaded Mouth of Sauron came out with your things… ” Pippin’s voice drifted and some tears formed in his eyes.

“Oh Pippin!” Frodo hugged Pippin closely. “It’s over; there is nothing to fear. I’m alive; we’re alive. We’re back. It’s a happy new year for the Gondorians, and we should smile to know that we succeeded. And all of Gondor knows and remembers what a brave Ernil I Pheriannath you are.”

Pippin sighed. “I know Frodo, but have you ever experienced the feeling of having no more hope left, but just letting all your frustrations and despair out with violence? When I stabbed upwards to the troll and it crashed down upon me, I saw a glimmer of hope, like at the time the eagles were coming, and then I thought I strayed into another’s dream and then saw nothing anymore. I couldn’t believe, or did not want to believe that you were gone, but at that moment, I did not care. I just did not care…” Pippin’s voice trailed as tears formed in his eyes.

Frodo held Pippin closely but did not know what to say. He had his own horrible memory of this Gondorian New Year’s Day but did not want to think about his time in Mount Doom. He’d rather not dwell on the memories he would not even dare to write in the Red Book himself. Twelve days had passed since his strange illness, and he was not ready to relive the dark thoughts of that day and share to his cousin. Or to anyone.

Seeing Frodo’s distant expression, Pippin said, “I’m sorry, Frodo. I did not mean to upset you. I just had to tell someone about the other more negative side of this day. Merry wasn’t with me when I rode out to the Black Gate, and I learned to manage my feelings at that moment and tried not to care, but it was hard; it was hard, but then again, what else can one do in the face of battle other than move on?”

Frodo looked into the clear green eyes of Pippin. He saw strength there that was beyond his cousin’s tweenage years, and he momentarily saw a vision of Pippin as he would be: the strong, wise Thain of Tookland that would rise above all his ancestors to protect the Shire for generations to come.

“What can one do in any situation other than move on, dear cousin? We’ve all changed in the face of adversity, in the face of grief, in the face of difficulty that was laid before us in this Quest quite unpredictably, and I think we’ve all dealt with our different situations with great, strong, resilient hobbity strength.” Frodo’s words trailed off. He meant what he said, but he felt that he was saying it also to comfort himself as well.

“Frodo, I look up to you. You are indeed the strongest one among us. You’ve been through so much, so much. I guess that is why I wanted to talk to you about my feelings during that moment, that day. But I know you have your own pains and memories. How are you faring?” Pippin peered with concern into Frodo’s deep blue eyes, which looked ever so seriously into Pippin’s.

“I’m all right… just writing the Red Book… many memories to be accounted for indeed,” replied Frodo wryly. “No need to worry about me, silly Took.” But Frodo looked away from Pippin, trying hard to maintain his composure, fearing that memories would indeed flood back to haunt him. But none did at the moment, and he was glad that it was still bright in the Shire. The wind was calm and at that moment, light, warm breezes swept through the Shire to hearten and cheer the hearts of anyone who was feeling melancholy.

Pippin continued to glance admirably at Frodo. He was not totally convinced at Frodo’s words, but he did not wish to press Frodo when he himself had started talking about the events of March 25th, a year ago.

Pippin broke the silence. “Well, I think the whole of Gondor is having a good day. The first year of having a true King run their lands and the recent letter from Aragorn sounds very optimistic. The lands of North and South Ithilien that had once been deserted are now being populated again. In the past year, Aragorn says that many peace accords have been made with the people in Harad and with the Easterlings to ensure that there are no more disputes. He has also traveled North to Esgaroth to understand those policies better. I wonder if he’ll come here to pay us a visit sometime instead of just writing letters.” Pippin looked pensive.

Pippin’s words brought Frodo back from his own thoughts.
“Or maybe you should pay a visit to him, you lazy Took,” teased Frodo with a smile. “You are Knight of Gondor, after all.”

Pippin pretended to look hurt, “Oh cousin Frodo, my family has been ever so protective against me going anywhere other than to Hobbiton ever since my ‘disappearance’ last year with you on our journey. I do not think they’ll let the future Thain go tramping across Middle Earth for a long time…. Alas, Merry and I do want to go back to Rohan and Gondor to see how our kingdoms are,” said Pippin dramatically.

“Your kingdoms?” Frodo choked back a laugh. “You hobbits are knights and have sworn service, but that does not mean they’re your kingdoms,” Frodo joked back. But Frodo’s face soon turned serious again as he said, “I’m sure that they’ll let you go tramping about again soon.”

“Well, you know what I mean. And yes, I think that it won’t be long till Merry and I will indeed get too restless and maybe travel to all the lands that we’ve been to before. Old Treebeard… I wonder sometimes, whether or not he has found the Entwives yet…”

“That is quite a story that you have yet to tell me about, Pippin. I need more details for the Red Book soon too. Whenever you or Merry have a chance…” Frodo said.

“I’ll tell about you about them now. Since it is a hopeful and cheery story after all. It does match this wonderful weather. Spring has indeed come on the New Year, hasn’t it? It was good to have a big tree-herder take care of you after that awful trek with those orcs, even though there were many battles and conflicts going on surrounding Fangorn…”

“I’m sure you’ll make a good story-teller too, dear Pippin. So shall we begin?”

“Begin?”

“Yes. Well, I thought you wanted to talk about your adventures with the Ents.”

“Without Merry?”

“He doesn’t have to know about this preliminary consultation,” said Frodo with a wink.

“Yes, I’ll give you my side of the story, and perhaps he can tell you more the next time he comes. Or maybe when you come to Crickhollow.”

“Yes, of course, Pip, of course. Now let me get the papers, and you can start.”

And with the encouragement of Frodo and the unquenchable cheerfulness and eagerness of Pippin, the first draft of Book 3, Chapter 4 was written on that fine New Year’s Day.

TBC





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List