Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

One Heart Protecting Another  by Antane

Chapter 12: Lessons in Love

Sam wasn’t aware of anything else for a long time until slowly he felt arms around him, a hand gently stroking his curls and a soft voice murmuring comforts. He lifted his head and looked into Frodo’s concerned eyes and began sobbing anew. He didn’t even see Merry and Pippin’s concerned faces or miss their arms as they pulled back when Frodo woke to hold him.

“You’re alive!” he cried joyfully. “But they killed you! I saw them kill you! I couldn’t save you!”

Frodo continued his gentle stroking. If he had had the strength, he would have wiped at Sam’s tears, but those continued to track down his beloved friend’s cheeks. “Shhh, my Sam. You haven’t lost me. You were having a nightmare. I’m so sorry.”

Sam touched his master’s face and stroking the cheeks to reassure himself. “Am I really awake now? Are you really here?”

Frodo smiled. “I’m really here, my Sam. It’s all right now, it’s all right. I’m not going to leave you.”

He saw that his guardian still struggled and laid Sam’s head down against his chest. “Listen to my heart, dearest. Don’t be afraid. Just listen.”

It took a long time for Sam to calm down, but he spent that time listening and finally believing. Elrond and Bilbo had rushed in in response to Sam’s screams, but stopped at the door. They watched and listened unnoticed as Frodo softly sang and continued his stroking. “...and when you wake, I’ll be here,” he finished as he watched Sam drop back into sleep. “Sleep well, my brother,” he murmured and kissed his friend’s brow. He tightened his protective embrace and then fell back asleep also. Merry and Pippin laid back down as well. The Elf lord left as quietly as he had come in, profoundly moved by what he had seen. Bilbo returned to his own room with a large, proud smile on his face.

* * *

Bilbo stayed for several hours the next day and Aragorn and Arwen made their own visits. Elrond returned frequently to closely monitor Frodo’s condition and all of them were greatly cheered to see the Elf’s features grow less grave each time.

“Can I sleep with him?” Pippin asked the second night after the shards have been removed, craning his head to look up at the Elf lord.

The ancient Elf looked into the youngster’s earnest eyes and knew he couldn’t no.

“I don’t know, Pip,” Merry said as Elrond opened his mouth to speak. “You kick a lot in your sleep. You don’t want to hurt Frodo.”

Pippin looked at his cousin. “I won’t this time. I promise. I won’t move a inch. Please, Merry. I need to know that Frodo’s going to be all right. He’s still so...so...” His lower lip trembled as tears threatened.

Merry looked into those soulful, beseeching eyes. He had never been able to resist them, neither had Frodo. Pippin became aware of that from a very early age and had used it to great advantage throughout his young life. But this time, Merry thought, was different. Instead of wheedling another sweet, tale, song or kiss out of his cousins, the tween looked deadly serious. This was not something he merely wanted, this was something he needed.

“If Lord Elrond says it’s all right,” Merry said slowly, “then it’s all right, Pip.” He watched the dawn of hope and excitement rise in those beloved eyes and hoped it wouldn’t be crushed.

The youngest hobbit turned back and craned his head up to look at the tall, elegant Elf.

“Frodo will be safe in Pippin’s arms, Elrond,” Bilbo said softly.

“That he will,” Sam added.

The tween looked at his eldest cousin and his friend gratefully, then back at Elrond. The other three hobbits did as well, awaiting the decision. The Elf paused as though in consideration, but his decision had already been made. He waited only until he thought his voice would be level and not so colored by how moved he was by the intense devotion these beings showed for their injured kin and friend.

“You need to keep completely still, Master Peregrin,” he began gravely. “Frodo’s wounds may re-open otherwise.”

Pippin looked ready to shout, but he restrained himself until knew for sure. “I will, my lord, I promise I will.”

Elrond’s lips curved in a brief smile. “Then you have my blessing. I know how much comfort Frodo takes in having his kin near and it will help speed his healing.”

Pippin’s face broke into a huge grin and he gave a jump in the air in delight. “Thank you, my lord! Thank you, Merry! Thank you, Bilbo! Thank you, Sam!”

Then very cautiously, he climbed into his cousin’s bed. He kissed Frodo’s brow lightly. “You’re going to be all right, cousin,” he said and then lay his head gently on his Frodo’s chest so he could hear his heart beating. A beatific smile spread over his face as he put out his arm across Frodo’s chest and fell asleep.

Elrond looked a little concerned, but Merry reassured him. “Don’t worry, my lord,” he said softly. “Pippin has loved Frodo all his life. He won’t hurt him. He’d rather die first. We all would.”

The Elf lord nodded. They all smiled when Frodo shifted slightly to nestle into Pippin’s embrace and settle peaceably into deeper sleep. Elrond then knew Frodo would be safe that night and all nights as long as he was so surrounded by those he loved and who loved him.

They live such short lives, the immortal Elf thought, a moment’s worth, but in that moment, they live and love deeper than anyone I’ve ever known. They could teach immortals much.

Frodo slept soundly the rest of the day and night, Merry on his other side, Sam at his feet. When he woke in the morning, Pippin was still resting against his chest. Moved by that, he reached out with his good arm to stroke his cousin’s curls gently.

The tween woke under that loving touch. His eyes widened in surprise and his mouth opened in a silent ‘o’ as he looked into beautiful eyes he had feared he never would again. They were still shadowed with pain, but love shone from there also. Pippin grinned widely, barely able to restrain himself from shouting with joy, but held back for fear of waking Merry and Sam.

“Hullo, ’squeak,” Frodo murmured with a faint smile.

Pippin wanted to jump in delight to hear that voice, but he remembered to be careful just in time. Instead he gently embraced his cousin and felt Frodo weakly return it. “Hullo, cousin,” he murmured back. “I’m so glad you are going to be all right.”

Frodo continued his gentle stroking. “Someone’s got to help Merry keep you out of trouble,” he said. “You’re too much of a handful for just one hobbit to handle.”

Pippin giggled. “I see no reason to change if it’ll keep you around.”

Frodo’s smile widened. “Incorrigible Took,” he teased and Pippin’s heart soared to hear it.

His own grin brightened. “Stubborn Baggins. Those Riders kept waiting for you to give in and you wouldn’t.” He looked back into his cousin’s eyes. “I’m so proud of you.”

Frodo looked into Pippin’s eyes, shining with love and tears. He brought his cousin’s head back down to his chest and kissed his head softly. “Thank you for helping me remain stubborn, dearest. I’m very proud of you, too.”

Pippin closed his eyes and smiled, his ear against Frodo’s heart. He rejoiced to hear that and to feel his cousin’s hand against his curls. “I love you, cousin,” he murmured as sleep began to steal over them again.

“I love you, too, cousin.”

Throughout the day, he was held by either Pippin or Merry, being waken to be feed more of the lembas broth, but otherwise in a healing sleep.

“You’re going to be all right,” Sam said over and over to his master and with such conviction, Elrond smiled.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List