Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Alone Among Masses  by TigerLily713

Chapter Eighteen- Trouble

 

Olihre wasn’t the only one who saw Gaviwyr leading Xanthe out of the banquet hall and down the corridor, away from the library.  Legolas and Aragorn exchanged amused looks, while Lothiriel and Eowyn smiled at each other, mischief twinkling in their eyes.  Eomer, however, was not so delighted.  Does he really think he can just whisk her away without me noticing?  It’s inappropriate, the two of them just disappearing.  It doesn’t reflect well upon me.

           

Lothiriel watched as Eomer stood with his eyes fixed to the spot where Xanthe and Gaviwyr had turned a corner and disappeared.  She leaned over to Eowyn and whispered, “I cannot read your brother’s moods; is now a good time to speak to him?”

           

Eowyn watched in annoyance as her brother didn’t even try to hide his interest in Xanthe’s parting.  He could at least feign royal manners.  She nodded and took Lothiriel’s hand.

           

Eomer watched as his sister walked towards him, leading a blushing and bejeweled Lothiriel.  If not for the love of my sister…  Eomer braced for what he knew could only be another of his sister’s well-intended set-up’s.  Eowyn had been trying to convince him that he should take a Queen ever since she herself had become engaged. 

           

“Eomer, how are you?” Eowyn asked, her voice honey sweet, but with a definite undertone of authority.

           

“I am fine Sister, just as I was a few moments ago when you saw me.”

           

Eowyn narrowed her eyes at her brother and gave him a warning look.  The display was interrupted when Lothiriel laughed lightly and touched Eomer on the arm.  “Did you enjoy dinner?” she asked him.

           

Eomer held in an aggravated groan.  Am I to make small talk all night?  “Yes mi’lady, it was quite a treat after such a long journey.” He knew that he would hear no end to the rantings of his sister if he did not begin to play along.  “And did YOU enjoy dinner?”

           

Lothiriel smiled sweetly and nodded.  “It was delicious, as expected.  His Majesty and the Queen are quite the hosts, are they not?”

           

Eomer nodded, not finding the will power to even attempt to make conversation about such a dull subject, so instead, he changed it.  “Your journey was longer than even ours, how did it fare?”  He glanced sidelong at his sister who looked fairly appeased, but still held a look of warning in her eyes.

           

Lothiriel, whose smile had never left her face, cocked her head to the side, ever so slightly as a wondrous light filled her eyes.  “It was wonderful!  I love to travel, even in this rainy season.  After an entire year cooped up in the city, I really needed to get away.”

           

Eomer, who until now had been nearly tearful with boredom, was suddenly curious.  “Why don’t we move into the library where it is warm, and you can tell me all about your journey.”

           

“What a wonderful idea,” Eowyn interrupted with a smile.  She then turned on her heel and walked away briskly, leaving Eomer to offer Lothiriel his arm. 

           

“Shall we?” he asked.  Lothiriel nodded and attached herself to him. 

           

Eomer smiled to himself as he noticed her tendency to lead him, even when it was he who held her arm.  Finally, someone with a little bit of spirit!  Even as his mind delivered the words, Xanthe’s face appeared, full of determination and strength.  Eomer felt a twinge of regret as he allowed himself to be led down the hallway, away from the only woman who had captured his attention, until now.               

 

*          *          *

 

           

“Will Eomer be upset that we are not there?” Xanthe asked as Gaviwyr led her swiftly down a maze of massive hallways.  The gleaming white stone was illuminated softly by candles set in brass sconces, lining the walls every few yards.

           

Gaviwyr felt a pang of guilt as he heard Eomer’s name.  What am I doing?  He reminded himself of his position as Eomer’s Captain and loyal friend.  And here I am sneaking around behind his back.

           

“Gav?” Xanthe wasn’t sure what had come over him, but he had stopped suddenly and dropped her hand, staring back down the corridor with an anxious look on his face.  “What’s wrong?”

           

Gaviwyr took in a sharp breath and turned to Xanthe, trying to hide the look on his face.  “He won’t miss us.” he said flatly.  What he had wanted to say was that Eomer wouldn’t miss them while he had the Princess around, but he knew that it would be insensitive and hurtful, even if it did force Xanthe to realize how futile it was for her to love the King.

           

Xanthe however, spoke the words for him.  “I don’t think he will either.  Not with his sister and her project to keep him company.”

           

Gaviwyr raised his eyebrows in obvious shock.  “What do you mean by that?” he asked carefully.

           

Xanthe smiled, but it did nothing to mask the strain of her voice.  “Eowyn was glaring at me all throughout dinner.  I am no fool Gav, I know a warning when I see one.  She does not want me anywhere near her brother, lest I interfere with her plans to marry him off to Lothiriel.”

           

Gaviwyr was surprised and impressed by Xanthe’s boldness.  “I did see her looking at you during dinner, though I hadn’t necessarily thought of it as glaring.  But I suppose if you are not used to Eowyn’s piercing gaze, it can certainly be perceived that way.”

           

Xanthe nodded, not wanting to push the issue.  She knew how close Gaviwyr was to Rohan’s royal family, and she would not make him choose sides.  “Either way, I am sure we’ll not be missed greatly.  What ARE we doing, anyway?”

           

Gaviwyr shrugged.  He had not planned to steal Xanthe away; he had merely acted upon a compulsion.  While sitting at dinner, all he could think about was how much he would like to spend time with Xanthe, away from judging eyes and stinging memories.  He had conveniently closed his mind to the voices of doubt that plagued him every moment of the day. 

           

...Do you really think she would choose you after she has felt the King’s strong arms around her?...You are a soldier, what can you offer her?...She treats you the same way she does her brother, that is all you will ever be to her... 

           

The voices began to creep back into his mind, talking over themselves, louder and louder in his head until he thought for sure that Xanthe could hear them.  “I suppose I hadn’t thought of anything specific,” he said soberly as he tried to concentrate.  “We can just return to the library, if you would prefer.”

           

Xanthe frowned and shook her head, wondering why Gaviwyr had suddenly gone from giddy to grim.  She moved closer to him and took his arm, turning him towards her.  “What’s wrong Gav?”

           

Gaviwyr looked at Xanthe’s confused face and saw the hurt that was in her eyes.  Not hurt that he had necessarily caused himself, but hurt that had always been there, and always would be there, ready to present itself at the first sign of disappointment.  Is her life such a sad story that she keeps her pain just under the surface, ready for when she needs its comfort again?  Will she ever find the strength to move on and allow herself to be free of its deceiving hold?

           

Gaviwyr wanted to put his arms around the young woman in front of him.  He wanted to comfort her and convince her that her life would be full of wonderful things, but he knew she would not want it, and he was too afraid.  He laughed quietly as he realized that the very thing that kept Xanthe from smiling genuinely was the same thing that kept him from comforting her-- fear.

           

“What are you laughing at?” Xanthe asked, the confused look on her face deepening. 

           

“Nothing,” he answered with a voice less sullen than before.  Looking into Xanthe’s sad eyes, Gaviwyr resolved to master his emotions and be the friend that she needed, even if that was all he could ever be.  “I admit,” he smiled sheepishly, “I do not know my way around the palace at all.  I was so eager to escape the party…I may have gotten us lost.”

           

“That’s why you’re upset…because we’re lost?”  Xanthe laughed.  “Why didn’t you just tell me?  You had me worried!”

           

Gaviwyr smiled ruefully, wishing that he could tell Xanthe just how lost he really was.  “I suppose it was my manly pride.  Anyhow, have you any idea where we are, or where we want to be?”

           

Xanthe shrugged, “You seem to have forgotten, I didn’t even know the way from my room to dinner tonight.”

           

Gaviwyr laughed heartily.  “Now that’s easy!  All you have to do is follow your nose!”

           

Xanthe gave him a look of mock-exasperation.  “Do I look like an elf?”

           

Gaviwyr was considering telling her that she really did, when an idea came to him.  “Let’s see if we can find your healer ourselves!”

           

Xanthe looked into Gaviwyr’s deep brown eyes, trying to detect any sign of jest, but he only stood there, patiently awaiting her reply.  “You’re serious?”

           

A smile twitched at the corners of Gaviwyr mouth.  He loved it when Xanthe was on the verge of excitement, but still trying to maintain a calm composure.  It was entertaining to watch the struggle.  “I most certainly am.  He does stay in the palace, does he not?”

           

Convinced that he was serious, Xanthe threw her arms around his neck and squealed, “Gav, you’re too wonderful for words!” 

           

Gaviwyr took Xanthe’s affection with pleasure, and even ventured to return the hug with a conservative squeeze.  His hopes were dashed however, when he felt her pat him on the back, just as he had seen her do while hugging her brother.  He pulled away suddenly, the voices of doubt in his head growing louder.  “Does he reside here?” he repeated the question more sternly than he had meant to.

           

Xanthe tried not to look bothered.  “He did when I last saw him; I see no reason why he wouldn’t still.  Gav…”

           

Before she could question him, Gaviwyr turned on his heel and headed off down the hallway, calling behind him, “Let’s make our way back to the banquet hall and ask one of the servers if they know of him.”

           

Xanthe fought the urge to plant her feet and throw a fit; however, she could see the stiffness in Gaviwyr’s walk, and she suspected that now would not be a good time to test his limits.  Instead, she ran to catch up to him, staying a few feet behind, trying her best to act as if nothing was wrong.

           

Gaviwyr turned his head slightly and glanced at Xanthe out of the corner of his eye.  She was walking quickly, matching his long stride.  Her head was down, arms folded in front of her.  Defensive stance… Gaviwyr noted to himself.  So she is wary of me…or perhaps weary.  Gaviwyr wanted to go to her, but he knew that he would only be torturing himself, wearing down his willpower.  I cannot allow myself to get too close to her.  I haven’t the strength.

           

The two walked silently for a few minutes before coming to a more brightly lit stretch of hallway, lined with potted trees and plants.  They both faintly remembered rushing through it, and knew that they were nearing the banquet hall.  Gaviwyr turned to Xanthe and gave her a reassuring smile, which she returned, but, Gaviwyr was pained to see, without sincerity.

           

“…it certainly was grand…the greatest feast we have had here in many months…guests certainly were polite…beautiful clothing…”

           

Snippets of conversation could be heard among the servants as they worked just beyond the doors where Gaviwyr and Xanthe stood.  When Gaviwyr entered with Xanthe trailing just a few feet behind him, the voices stopped and all in the room looked up from their work. 

           

“What can we do for you, Sir?” one man asked as he set down the pile of tableware he was holding.

           

Gaviwyr walked towards him, acknowledging him with a nod of his head.  “We were wondering if any of you might know the whereabouts of the Palace Healer, Geylof.”

           

The man wiped his hands on his pants as he shook his head.  “I am afraid not Sir.  One of our servers heard the elf being discussed during dinner.  She came back to the kitchen and asked if any of us knew his whereabouts, but I am afraid none of us have seen him for quite some time.”  The man looked around to the other servers for confirmation, before shrugging his shoulders and continuing.  “Geylof always was a bit elusive though.  He was always attending to the niece of one of the King’s horse trainers.  Practically lived there, even when she was healed…”

           

Xanthe blushed as the servant continued his explanation.  She knew that the man had no idea it was she that he spoke of.  She interrupted his story with a blunt question.  “I am sorry-- could you possibly show us to his room?”

           

The man furrowed his brow but nodded affirmatively.  “Not sure why you would want to go there, he hasn’t been there for some time, but if you insist…”

           

“I do.  Perhaps he left some clue as to where he was going.” Xanthe smiled sweetly, but her voice was full of impatience.

           

The man chuckled.  “Surely Miss, I can take you.  But he hasn’t move on, I can tell you that much.  The maid said that he and Lailei’s possessions are all still present.  Also, gossip spreads quickly throughout the palace, we would know if a new healer had been hired.  I suppose they are merely hiding out as only elves can.”  

           

Xanthe smiled and turned her gaze towards the door.  “Do you suppose we could go now, or are you too busy?”

           

The man glanced at the others who nodded with amusement.  “Let’s go then!” he said.

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List