Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Alone Among Masses  by TigerLily713

Chapter Twenty- Scheming Undone

 

Eomer was absorbed in Lothiriel’s sweet voice as she recounted stories from her childhood.  He watched the way her dark hair caught the firelight, giving it the look of burnished obsidian.  Her deep eyes sparkled with mirth as she did her best impression of her childhood nanny.  He caught the pungent scent of her perfume as she leaned towards him amidst a most unladylike laugh.    Not even the recent appearance of two Lorien elves had distracted him from this dark jewel.    It wasn’t until he heard Aragorn greeting visitors that Eomer broke his concentration and looked around.

 

“You found them!” Olihre rose from his chair and moved forward to greet the party.  Geylof and Lailei had just entered the library, followed by Gaviwyr and Xanthe, who were still blinking their eyes, trying to adjust them to the bright light.

 

Xanthe gave her brother a discouraging look.  “It’s not like we journeyed to another city Oli, we were just down the hallway.”

 

Olihre laughed and winked rather obviously at Gaviwyr, who paled slightly before glancing hesitantly at Eomer.

 

Eomer caught his Captain’s gaze and held it for some time before turning and looking pointedly at Xanthe.  “I need to speak to you.”

 

Xanthe glanced up at the King, apprehension in her eyes.  She nodded carefully while giving Geylof and Lailei apologetic looks.  “I shouldn’t be long,” she whispered before looking questioningly at Olihre.

 

Olihre only raised his eyebrows and gave a slight shrug of his shoulders.  He watched his sister walk out of the room, shoulders thrown back and head held high.  Defensive mode…I hope Eomer knows what he’s doing.

 

Out in the hallway Xanthe whirled around to meet the King head-on.  With her hands on her hips and her jaw set in a tight line, she raised her eyebrows, challenging him to confront her.

 

“Xanthe,” Eomer started with a regal air, oblivious to her silent challenge, “I understand that this is a new position for you, and therefore you may not be aware of protocol, but it is COMPLETELY unacceptable for you to go running off throughout the palace without even the slightest word to anyone.”  Eomer took a deep breath and braced himself against the slew of arguments he was sure would follow, but Xanthe stayed silent; the only acknowledgment she gave him was an apathetic glare. 

 

Eomer tried again. “Do you have anything to say or are you just going to stand there and let me assume the worst?” 

 

“The worst about what?” she spit out, her silent resolve snapping.

 

Eomer smiled slightly, pleased to have gotten at least some reaction out of the proud girl in front of him.  “Well…” he paused for dramatic effect, “you can’t just go running off with a handsome Captain and not expect people to assume things.”

 

“Don’t patronize me, Your Highness,” Xanthe said in a shaky voice, “you are last person to be speaking to me about men with bad intentions!”

 

Eomer’s tone quickly went from condescending to furious, “Bad intentions?  Is that what you think?  Let me remind you Madame, I may have kissed you at the river that night, but only after you practically threw yourself at me!  What were YOUR intentions?”

 

Xanthe felt her heart drop into her stomach.  She turned quickly, hoping that Eomer couldn’t see the wet shame glistening in her eyes.  “Forgive me Your Highness,” she croaked, “I had thought you cared for me…obviously I was mistaken.”  With that Xanthe walked quickly away, covering her face with her hands, willing herself not to cry.

 

“Xanthe, wait!” Eomer called out with booming authority.  He jogged to catch up and did not stop until he was nearly on top of her.  “Wait,” he said again, only this time it was more of a desperate plea than a command.  When Xanthe did not stop, Eomer grabbed her wrist and whirled her around sharply.  She winced in pain and pulled her hand back defensively, but he would not let go.  

 

“You are hurting me Your Highness!” she cried in a weak voice.

 

With a horrified look, Eomer dropped her wrist, only to take her by the shoulders and pull her back to him.  “Please, Xanthe…stop!  I am sorry…I didn’t mean it like that…”

 

Xanthe rolled her eyes and growled, “You are unbelievable!  You think you can do or say whatever you want and then just apologize and make everything better!”

 

Eomer groaned and released her shoulders, taking a deep breath and running his hands through his hair before sliding his back down the wall and collapsing on the cold, stone floor.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Eomer looked up with painfully remorseful eyes, chipping away at Xanthe’s firm resolve.  “Please, sit…just for a moment.  I know I don’t deserve it, but I am begging you, please…I don’t want to do this anymore.”

 

Xanthe stared at him for a moment, trying to detect any sign of insincerity; when she found none she gathered her skirts into her hands and sat as gracefully as possible, trying to keep a discreet distance between herself and the King.  “I will listen.”

 

Eomer gave a forced smile.  “Thank you.”  He made to take Xanthe’s hand but retracted when he saw her stiffen.  “Sorry… I’m nervous.”

 

Xanthe frowned and crossed her arms in front of her chest, “Nervous about what?”

 

Eomer just shook his head emphatically and laced his fingers together.  “I want to apologize…for everything.  I know it doesn’t mean much, but please believe me when I tell you that I am sincerely regretful.  I don’t know why it is so hard for me to confront my feelings in regards to you, but it is, and as a result, I have behaved horribly.”

 

“Your feelings in regards to me?”

 

This time Eomer had Xanthe’s hand before she realized what was happening.  “Xanthe I want you to know without a doubt that my intentions for you have never been anything but innocent.  I know it must be hard to believe, considering how I first came upon you, and what has happened since, but it’s the truth.  There is something about you that has always captured my attention.  Something within you that you refuse to show, but can’t fully hide.”

 

Xanthe just shook her head.  “I don’t understand…”

 

“Neither do I, though I HAVE tried.  All I know is that I do care for you.  I don’t know exactly how, or what will come of it; just that I do.”

 

“That is not entirely true, Your Highness…I think you know what will come of it, what already has.”  Xanthe’s tone was serious but her eyes held a soft look, almost like a mother counseling her child.

 

Eomer recognized the affection and smiled gratefully.  “I know…I just wish that it could have been different…less painful.”

 

Xanthe shook her head.  “I hope I’m not too assuming when I say that I really don’t feel that there is any one person to blame.  I should never have asked you to keep secret what happened…”

 

“You had good reason, Xan,” Eomer assured her as he repetitively brushed his thumb across her palm.  “You were just trying to make things easier.  I am the one who ruined it.  I shouldn’t have allowed my fears to overwhelm me, and I DEFINITELY shouldn’t have allowed you to ride away thinking that I didn’t care.”

 

Xanthe felt a heavy weight lift from her as she looked into Eomer’s eyes and smiled.  “I appreciate you telling me that, I needed to hear it.”  She moved her free hand to Eomer’s face and ran her fingers over his cheek.  “Don’t be so hard on yourself.  It’s over now, don’t let it trouble you.”

 

“And what of you, will you be troubled?”

 

Xanthe laughed, a genuinely pleasant sound.  “I am always troubled Your Highness, do not let it worry you.”

 

“But it does!  I still care for you…I want you to be happy.”

 

“I am not miserable, Eomer, only young and foolish.  I will learn to be happy as time goes on.  I can look back on this as a good experience, one which I can learn from.”

 

Eomer dropped his gaze for a moment before looking up again with a wistful expression.  “Is it over then-- are WE over?”

 

Xanthe’s eyes widened.  She had assumed that Eomer was speaking to her now so that he could finalize everything and move on with Lothiriel.  She had not expected him to be so regretful.  “I…I am not exactly sure.”

 

Eomer took a deep breath and brought Xanthe’s hand to his lips.  “I do care for you Xanthe…how could I not?  But…”

 

“But,” Xanthe continued for him, “duty calls, and in this case, duty is not so unpleasant.”

 

Eomer grinned, though his eyes seemed pained.  “I enjoy her company, but I am not sure how I feel…I am confused.”

 

“You aren’t expected to know how you feel-- you’ve only known her one day.  Give it time.  I think she is a wonderful woman, and she compliments you a great deal.”

 

“And what about you?”

 

“I wish to serve as palace healer still, but I don’t want to be any trouble to you-- or to the Princess.”

 

Eomer shook his head with a laugh, “Of course you will still be my healer, but that’s not what I as referring to.  What of your own endeavors in love?”

 

Xanthe looked confused for a moment but soon smiled knowingly.  “If you are referring to your Captain, I’m not sure what he wants, nor am I certain that he knows either.  He speaks in riddles and has terrible mood swings.”

 

Eomer laughed loudly at this, the sound reverberating off the solid walls.  “Well that says everything then!  Gaviwyr is the most decisive person I know.  He is as straightforward as one of Legolas’s arrows, and just as confident.  If he is acting strangely, let me assure you, it is because he is in love, and simply doesn’t know what to make of it.”

 

Xanthe blushed and looked at Eomer playfully.  “Would you care to expound on that?”

 

Eomer shook his head.  “I think you should ask him, but know this…he cares for you.  He has since he first met you.  I have seen it in his eyes when he looks at you, heard it in his voice when he speaks of you.  It used to threaten me, but now it brings joy to my heart.” 

 

“I hope you are right Eomer, for I feel something too.”

 

Eomer stood suddenly, pulling her up along with him.  He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her cheek tenderly.  “I AM right, you’ll see.  Now we had better be off before your brother sends out another search party.”

 

Xanthe nodded but held firmly to Eomer’s hand, not allowing him to leave just yet.  “Eomer,” she said in a subdued voice, “thank you.  You truly are a wonderful man.  I am happy for the opportunity I have had to become close to you, and I wish for you only happiness.”

 

Eomer pulled his hand away from Xanthe’s and embraced her in a tight hug.  “That makes all the difference.”

 

*          *          *

 

Eowyn narrowed her eyes as she watched Eomer exit the library quickly, without so much as a word to Lothiriel.  She felt angry with Xanthe for distracting her brother yet again, but she also felt sorry for her; she was about to be reprimanded for doing exactly what Eowyn had hope she would-- disappear. 

 

She turned to Lothiriel who was still looking at the doorway, her head cocked to the side as if she were trying to hear what was going on beyond the impossibly thick walls.  “He’ll be back soon, I’m sure.”

 

Lothiriel smiled.  “Poor girl, I can understand perfectly why she would rather be out with Gaviwyr than stuck in here.  I hope Eomer isn’t too hard on her.”

 

Eowyn tried to look reassuring as she nodded her head.  “I wouldn’t worry-- Eomer is much gentler than he looks.”

 

The Princess shook her head.  “He looked really upset…I think there may be more to this situation than we understand.”

 

Eowyn sucked on her bottom lip nervously as she debated telling Lothiriel what she knew.  Finally, she decided that it would be better for her to hear it now, than later from a gossiping maid. “Actually, there is a bit more to the situation…”

 

Lothiriel raised her delicate eyebrows and leaned forward.  “Really…what?”

 

Eowyn looked around and was relieved to find the others in the library involved in their own affairs, oblivious to the two women.  “It seems that Xanthe showed some interest in Eomer on their trip here, and he was rather clumsy with her feelings.  Apparently there was a small incident, and they have not spoken since.”

 

“I’m sure she is not the only one who showed interest.” Lothiriel insisted.  “The poor girl…having your heart broken by a King is no joy!”

 

Eowyn was surprised at her friend’s reaction.  “I am sorry I didn’t tell you sooner, I was afraid you may have been…”  Eowyn hesitated.

 

“Threatened?” Lothiriel finished for her.   

 

Eowyn didn’t reply. 

 

“I certainly should be-- she is beautiful.”

 

“But…?” Eowyn prompted her.

 

“But something tells me this will all work out the way it’s supposed to, no matter what happens.”

 

Eowyn admire Lothiriel’s confidence.  “You’re certainly more altruistic than I’ll ever be.  I’ve been jealous enough for the both of us!”

 

Lothiriel laughed.  “I don’t know about altruistic.  If it were a matter of right or wrong, I would certainly fight harder, but it isn’t.  Eomer, Xanthe and I are all good people-- we shouldn’t be reduced to fighting amongst ourselves.”

 

Before Eowyn had a chance to reply, she saw Eomer walk back into the library, leading Xanthe by the hand.  She paled as she saw the tenderness of the touch and the smiles on both their faces.  She turned quickly to Lothiriel with an embarrassed look on her face, but before she could apologize, Lothiriel raised her hand and smiled.  “Look,” she whispered, with a slight movement of her head in the direction of Eomer and Xanthe. 

 

Eowyn turned quickly, a frown already forming on her red lips.  On the other side of the room Eomer was bent over Gaviwyr’s shoulder, whispering something in his ear.  Eowyn wished she could hear what he was saying, or at least read his lips, but Eomer’s long hair was covering his face, making it impossible to detect anything.  Instead she looked at Gaviwyr’s face, and was surprised to see a look of pleasant shock on his face. 

 

She turned to Lothiriel, who was looking quite pleased.  “What is going on?”

 

Lothiriel beckoned Eowyn closer and whispered in her ear, “I believe he is giving Gaviwyr permission to pursue Xanthe.”

 

Eowyn let out a slight gasp and whirled around to seek out the girl.  She was sitting with her back to Eomer and Gaviwyr, conversing with Olihre and the two Lorien elves.  Turning back to her brother, Eowyn saw him slap Gaviwyr on the shoulder and wave his finger at him teasingly.  “You just be careful my friend…” she heard him laugh, before turning again and walking towards herself and Lothiriel.

 

“I apologize for my abrupt departure,” he said softly, a charming twinkle in his eyes.  “I had something to take care of…something I have been putting off.”

 

Lothiriel smiled and scooted over on the couch, motioning for Eomer to join her.  “Is it indeed taken care of then?”

 

Eomer looked at Eowyn briefly before turning to Lothiriel and flashing her a dazzling smile.  “It is indeed Mi’lady.”

 

*          *          *

 

Across the room Gaviwyr was grinning shamelessly.  Aragorn and Legolas had both noticed his exuberant aura and neither were above tossing him suggestive looks.  Gaviwyr only raised his eyebrows playfully and settled back into his chair, fixing his eyes on the back of the woman who finally held all of his heart.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List