Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Dreamflower's Dribs and Drabs  by Dreamflower

This drabble set was written for RabidSamFan. 

Summary: Regarding something every hobbit needs to learn...
(Rated G)

Bounty

“But Dad, why do we need to go looking for greens? There’s a-plenty in the garden!”

The Gaffer shook his head. “O’ course there’s plenty in the garden. But what if summat happened to the garden? You ask old Mr. Bilbo sometime about the Fell Winter, if you want to know why you should learn how to forage! Now, lookit here, my lad! What’s that?”

Sam bent down to examine the plant in question; he sniffed, and then pinched off a bit of one of the leaves. “Why--it’s onion, Dad!” He stood up and glanced around, hoping for something more…

****

After his exchange with Gollum, Sam sighed. He would have to keep the fire in sight, but plain boiled coney would barely fill the belly. He gave a sniff, looking about the edges of the clearing--there was a clean, green smell here, that spoke of a bounty of forage.

Aha! Wild garlic. And a little searching brought him wild thyme as well as a handy bay-tree, though no sage. But there was rampion, and wild carrot--though the roots of both might be a bit woody--and young dandelion, rosemary…

Well, there’d be summat more than coney in the stew now.

****

Frodo-lad hurried to keep up with his father’s stride. It was an early spring day, and he wondered why they were not in the garden. There was a mort of work to be done this time of year. “But Sam-dad! Why do we need to go looking for greens?”

________________________

Author's Note:  This was inspired by the book The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants by Samuel Thayer.

Did you know that what we call Queen Anne's Lace is actually wild carrot?





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List