Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dreamflower's Dribs and Drabs  by Dreamflower

(Written June 2013, for Father's Day)

Title: Fathers by Choice
Rating: G
Author's Notes: I have always been struck by the fact that both Elrond and Bilbo had adoptive sons on the Quest, and thought that might be something that would draw them together.
Summary: Elrond and Bilbo worry about the sons of their hearts. A double drabble (200 words)

February 26, T.A. 3018
Breaking of the Fellowship. Death of Boromir; his horn is heard in Minas Tirith. Meriadoc and Peregrin captured. Frodo and Samwise enter the Easter Emyn Muil. Aragorn sets out in pursuit of the Orcs at evening. Éomer hears of the descent of the Orc-band from Emyn Muil. (From Appendix B, "The Tale of Years, The Great Years")

Fathers by Choice

Elrond found his old friend there, where he had spent most of the day, each and every day, for the last ninety-one days: on the balcony that faced South and East. The tray of food placed beside him on the bench was only half-eaten, but Bilbo had a cup of tea in his hands, more for warmth, Elrond suspected, than any other reason.

"A hobbit who does not eat is a worrisome thing."

Bilbo gave a mirthless chuckle. "I am old; not some ravenous tween."

"I have never known your appetite to be affected by your years until quite recently."

The hobbit shrugged. "I think you know why."

The Master of Rivendell pushed the tray to one side, sitting down next to his friend.

"I have reason to believe our children have gone their separate ways."

There was a sharp intake of breath. "What's happened?"

"That which was necessary. Yet my heart tells me that both are still hale, if not safe."

"I wish I could know as you do, Elrond."

"Foresight is as much a grief as it is a blessing to a father's heart, Bilbo."

The two fathers leaned together for comfort as they watched the evening fall. 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List