Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Snow Angels

It snowed heavily starting last night, dear, just after dark. Elanor, Frodo-lad and Rosie-lass and baby Merry ran out and started catching snow flakes on their tongues and I laughed watching them so excited. Remember when we used to do the same thing?

This morning the snow was deep around us. The children hurried through breakfast so fast Rose and I had to laugh. I spent much of the day outside with the three oldest - Rose stayed in with the baby. We sled down the hill, built snow forts, had snowball fights, made snow angels and snowhobbits - all the things we used to do. Remember all the fun we had when we built a fort and had that big fight with Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin? This time it was Frodo-lad and me against Elanor and Rosie-lass. Rosie is three - the same age Mr. Pippin was if I remember correctly. We had a ball, then tired, wet and rosie-cheeked, we went back inside. My Rose had a fire going and blankets for us and we huddled there to get warm again, drinking mugs of mulled cider, just like Mr. Bilbo used to have ready for us or you made after he left. Does it snow where you are? Do you miss it or does it bring you the same joy to walk through it and remember all the fun we had?

I remember so well the exuberance of Mr. Pippin and yourself as you held him tight sledding down that big hill, him screeching in delight and you laughing. And me and Mr. Merry had just as much fun. When we finally went in, the fire was waiting and the blankets and the cider and after dinner, we spread out mattresses and blankets from your bedroom and one of the spare ones and we listened to one of Mr. Bilbo’s stories. It was the perfect ending to the perfect day. Then we got ready to go to bed, tired but happy. You kissed us all goodnight and we kissed you, but Mr. Pippin, already curled up next to you, couldn’t reach your forehead and kissed the bottom of your chin instead. You grabbed him by the ankles, held him upside down, squealing in delight and kissed his chin in return before righting him. He kissed you again, hoping for a repeat performance and this time Mr. Merry did it, determined to outdo you and kissed him all over the face, ending with the nose, and him giggling the whole time. As he still dangled upside down, he grabbed onto Mr. Merry’s cheeks and returned that last kiss before being handed back to you for a night’s cuddle, red-faced and still laughing. You two had such fun with him!

The next morning, though, Mr. Pippin woke all congested and feverish. He had been flushed the night before but we were too young to realize what that really meant. We were all red-cheeked after being out in the cold and having such a great time. We were rather frightened when we realized his coloring meant he was actually sick. Mr. Bilbo gave you some terrible smelling gel to spread on his chest to help loosen the congestion and make him cough. It did its job so well we were all coughing just from the smell! Poor Mr. Bilbo went through a lot of handkerchiefs with that very ill fauntling. You were so solicitous in your care of your little cousin I was so proud of you. You had him drink lots of honeyed tea to dry his nose out and you and Mr. Merry took turns holding him in that rocking chair Mr. Bilbo had and stroking his curls and singing to him, trying to get him to sleep as much as he could. I remember listening to you sing that favorite lullaby of yours. You both read to him, tireless in your efforts to cheer him when he felt so miserable. The silly things you two did just to get a small laugh! You calmed Mr. Merry when he was afraid that your mutual cousin was not going to get better. Neither of you showed it to Mr. Pippin, but I know you were scared too, I could see it in your eyes, but I also knew you two loved him too fiercely to let anything happen to him. Death would not dare approach when either of you held him and he was barely let go for the week he was sick.

Is someone there to hold you, dear, when you get ill? I know there must be. Mr. Gandalf promised that he and Mr. Bilbo would look after you, but I can’t wait until I can do it myself. Please just be there and wait for me, me dear. I’m coming. I just don’t know when.

Goodnight, dear. Sleep well. I love you, my Elven hobbit. I love you so much.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List