Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Thirty-Eight:  Hamfast

We have another son, dear! We’ve decided to name this one after my old Gaffer. I think he’d like that. It’s been four years since he passed and I would have named our last lad after him, but then Mr. Pippin wouldn’t have given me any peace! I am that glad my Pippin is who he is, though I was right, he does so take after his namesake, but he is a joy and I know this one will be too. Another one born in peace because of what you did to make it so. I can’t ever thank you enough. The other children were already lined up to hold him barely before the cord was even cut. They know from long experience just what to do! I know this one will be adored just as much as all the others. Seven children, my dear! Oh, if my heart becomes any fuller, it will burst.

An exhausted goodnight, dear. Sleep well. I love you.

* * *

Oh, Sam, another lad to celebrate! I know your great heart must be bursting with all the joy and love you are so surrounded by. Mine is, just to know that I have another nephew and you another lad, another reward for all your sacrifices. It’s an incredible feeling to hear the first strains of a new melody, then as it builds louder and louder and more beautiful and complex. I know when you come here that you will be leaving behind much - all your children, perhaps even grandchildren. I’m still selfish enough to hope you will still come even with all the goodbyes you will have to say, but I hope also that you will know you are not going to be separated from them, not even here. I hope you will be able to hear each new strain as a new child’s parents accepts the blessing Iluvatar gives them or at least I will be able to tell you of it and you will know that your line is continuing and growing.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List