Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Master of Buckland

Mr. Merry has been made Master of Buckland, my dear. A right smart one he will make too. You’d be so proud of him as I know you always have been. Mr. Pippin and his family and the whole clan of mine were there too, just as we were for Mr. Saradoc’s funeral. A sorry day that was, but it was coming and Mr. Merry told me later that he felt like you were there, holding him, just as he used to hold you when the anniversary of your parents’ deaths would come about. That helped him so much. Missus Esmeralda was smiling through her tears as he was officially proclaimed the new Master. I wish you could see the wonderful gifts King Eomer and Lady Eowyn sent! Miss Estella was there as well, but still she hasn’t been asked to be Mr. Merry’s bride. Why he’s let Mr. Pippin beat him to this joy, I don’t know. But he’ll ask, there’s no doubt, there’s just the wonder of when.

Goodnight, dear. Sleep well. I hope I will. I can’t wait to be back in my own bed again! I love you and Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin send their love as well as always.

* * *

Oh, my Merry... I wish I could have been there with you, to sorrow and to celebrate and to hold you in grief and cheer. I felt your pain and shared in it as I knew something that deep could only come from a few sources. I listened intently for Pippin’s part in the Song and sent a silent prayer of thanksgiving that your heart and mine were not torn by that loss, but as I listened more, I realized what strains of the Music I no longer heard and the tears came then as much for myself as for you. I’ve lost my father, Bilbo who was like a father and now Uncle Sara who was father also. Sometimes I felt like I was a child of Sam’s too, but I know he’s still with me as you are and Pipsqueak. I think I would die if I lost you three. I hope, my dearest Merry, you felt me hold you in my heart and how much I longed to hold you in my arms. I am at the same time so proud of you! I will sing the prayers of the dead for Uncle Sara tonight in the Hall of Fire and I will pray to Iluvatar that He will watch over you especially during this time. I love you, my Merry, so very much.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List