Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stories Beyond the Havens  by Elanor Silmariën

Chapter One- First Sights Beyond

 “Gandalf, is that it?” Frodo asked, staring in awe at the land they were approaching rapidly.

“Yes, my lad, that’s it,” the wizard said, smiling down at the two hobbits on tiptoe trying to see over the edge of the boat.

“What will we do once we get there?” Bilbo asked gazing thoughtfully at the far away land.

“We’ll do what the Eldar tell us to,” Frodo said.

“They will find you lodgings and arrange some dinner for you,” Gandalf replied.

“I should hope they feed us, I’m starved,” Bilbo said rubbing his stomach with his wrinkled hands.

“Never fear, my friend,” Elrond said, putting his hands on Bilbo’s shoulders. “You shall never lack food.”

Frodo glanced back over his shoulder to the now out of sight shores of Middle Earth. ‘I shall never return,’ he thought. ‘But Sam will come. And perhaps Merry and Pippin too.’ In his heart he knew he knew he would never see his two favorite cousins again. At least while he was alive.

The ship landed and the companions got off. The dock was long and seemed to be made of sparkling silver branches. The far off city seemed to be forming out of the trees, and the whole place had a glow similar to that of Lothlorien. Elves were everywhere, and they all glowed with peace and happiness, but Frodo didn’t appear feel it. It felt out of his reach, and all he felt was a shadow on his heart.

A few Elves were there to greet them, a few that Frodo recognized from his wanderings in the woods before leaving on the Quest. Many Elves had given him information regarding the ‘outside world’ as he’d called it then.

They greeted him as Elf-friend, or Ring-bearer, as they did the other Elves and Gandalf. They also greeted Shadowfax, who had come across the sea with Gandalf, respectfully.

Bilbo and Elrond went off talking with a few friends from Rivendell and another Elf named Gildor led Frodo, Gandalf and Galadriel away in another direction. Frodo was glad to see Gildor again, and found that he and his company had left the shores of Middle Earth shortly after meeting Frodo Sam and Pippin in the woods.

But before they entered the forest that obscured the sea from sight, Frodo turned back. He watched the ship, sailing away, and felt a heaviness weigh on his heart. Had he done right to leave all those he loved?

“You couldn’t have helped it, Frodo,” Galadriel said, softly touching his wounded shoulder. “If you had stayed in the Shire it would have killed you. Here you will find healing. Do not fear, Sam will come to you before long.”

Soon Frodo had been shown to a suite in the trees that was to be his and Bilbo’s very own, and was shown where his friends were to be, should he need them.

There were Elves everywhere and they all seemed to know each other, talking to every other person they came across. Gandalf watched Frodo as their guide led them among the gardens. Frodo seemed to fit. Other than his height, his hair and his feet, he looked very much like any other Elf. He had the Elf look of wisdom from an eternity of life in his eyes, increasing since he received Arwen’s jewel.

Gandalf felt glad, knowing that soon Frodo would be alright. Many times back in the Shire, Gandalf and the hobbits, and even Aragorn, at times fretted over Frodo’s well being and state of mind. Aragorn seemed sure that as long as the Ring-bearer had hope of recovery beyond the shores of Middle Earth, he would not harm himself, but Sam seemed to think differently. Until little Elanor came. Then Frodo was so caught up in taking care of the child, as he had done with Merry and Pippin, each in turn, that he only had the dark nights alone with his thoughts and dreams.

But what, they speculated, would have happened if Rosie had miscarried, as the healer and midwife said she almost did? Sam didn’t want to think about what would have happened. The prospects turned his stomach and made the future look bleak.

Therefore Sam was not entirely sad to see Frodo leave, if it meant his life would be spared.

The Elf led Frodo, Gandalf and Galadriel to a large mostly open building that reminded Frodo vaguely of the Houses of Healing in Minas Tirith.

“This is where we help those like you, Iorhael, those in need of healing,” Gildor said. “Feredir, my friend, is to assist you along that path.” He stepped aside to introduce a younger Elf, who bowed low to Frodo.

“I will do what I can for you, Iorhael,” he said.

“Thank you for your kindness,” Frodo said softly.

Gandalf noted the tone in Frodo’s voice and frowned. Even in the midst of Paradise, he heard despair in his words.

He turned to Galadriel and said, “I believe we should leave the healers to their work.”

Galadriel nodded. But before she left, she knelt down and kissed the top of Frodo’s head. “There is always hope, Frodo Baggins,” she said softly, then left.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List