Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stories Beyond the Havens  by Elanor Silmariën

Chapter Two-The Problem of Healing

When Gandalf came to Frodo’s room that evening, he found the hobbit lying across the bed, Arwen’s jewel in his hand and tears in his eyes.

“Frodo, what is the matter?” the wizard asked, coming up and sitting on the bed.

“I am too far beyond hope, Gandalf,” Frodo said, trying to steady his voice. “I am being pulled in every direction and I cannot do anything about it.”

Gandalf began to rub Frodo’s back in a soothing way he had often observed Sam or Merry doing while Frodo was ill. “No one is beyond hope. You will get better, believe me.”

Frodo sighed and blinked slowly. “How can there possibly be hope of recovery if, even in this paradise, I still feel its pull on me?”

“It will take a while for that to go away, Frodo. You did not think you would meet with instant healing, did you?” Gandalf said.

“No,” Frodo argued. “But I thought it would not be able to penetrate such a place as this.”

Gandalf sat silently for a moment. “What did Feredir say?”

“He said it would be worse before I am healed,” Frodo replied quietly. “I can’t imagine what could be worse than what I’ve already been through.”

“I shall keep an eye on you. If anything is truly wrong, I’ll know,” Gandalf said, resuming rubbing Frodo’s back.

That comforted the hobbit, who soon fell asleep more or less peacefully. When he heard Frodo’s breathing even out, Gandalf rose and left the room to seek some sleep for himself, praying for his dear friend to recover quickly.

***

The next few days seemed to get better for Frodo. He was settling in nicely, and he loved being with Bilbo in the library. But when a week or so had passed, Gandalf once again found the hobbit in the depths of despair.

Frodo was standing by his desk underneath the window, his left hand on the top of the desk, his right resting on the hilt of a short knife.

Gandalf opened the door and saw what was happening. He hurriedly walked up to Frodo and took the knife out of his trembling hands, saying, kindly but firmly, “That’s not the way, Frodo.”

The distraught hobbit sat down in the desk chair, laid his hands in his lap and looked down at them. Gandalf put a hand under Frodo’s chin and lifted his head to look into his bright blue eyes.

“Don’t give up hope yet,” Gandalf said, wiping the tears off his face. “You will be healed.”

Frodo sighed. “I don’t deserve it Gandalf.” He looked down again as he spoke. “I betrayed Middle Earth by claiming It, and I should have been executed.”

“No, Frodo! You did more for the good of Middle Earth than anyone expected you to. If it weren’t for what you did, the Ring would never have come anywhere close to being destroyed,” Gandalf said. “It was not your task to destroy it.”

Frodo shook his head, but wouldn’t speak any more.

Gandalf looked up when a soft whicker was heard outside. Galadriel and Shadowfax stood outside the window.

“Is all well?” Galadriel asked, eyeing Frodo gently. He didn’t look at her.

“Not at the moment, but all will be resolved before long,” Gandalf said, discretely hiding the knife in the folds of his great white cloak.

Galadriel only smiled sadly. Shadowfax stomped his hoof, and Gandalf replied, “You must escort Frodo to Feredir. I will join you shortly.”

Frodo made an attempt to protest, but Gandalf silenced him with a look, and the hobbit got up and followed the stallion down the path.

Gandalf lingered for a moment, and Galadriel said, “He is plagued by evil still.”

Gandalf nodded. “I can only assume that the Ring’s last bit of treachery was to tell Frodo that he was a traitor and he had failed his quest.” He scratched his beard thoughtfully. “Not, perhaps, the easiest idea to work out of the mind of a stubborn hobbit.”

“He should be watched more carefully. There is no certainty, even here, that he will not try to harm himself again,” Galadriel answered. “He will be healed; I have no doubt that is the will of Iluvitar. But it will be a trial to get there.” With that she turned and left.

Gandalf stood there for a moment, considering the Lady’s words. Then he stirred and headed down the path Shadowfax and Frodo had taken.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List