Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Miscellaneous Writings of Frodo Baggins  by Frodo Baggins

Chapter 4: Sleeping Arrangements

Aragorn sighed. Two Hobbits down, two more to go. This was the Company's first night in their House, and only two child sized beds could be found. One was in Merry and Pippin's room, and the other was in Frodo and Sam's room. Two Hobbits could easily sleep in an adult sized bed. In fact, four could at need. However, these were especially small beds, so one of the Hobbits would have to spend the night on the floor. None of the other members of the Fellowship liked this, but the Hobbits had insisted that it was alright.

Merry and Pippin had had little struggle as to who would get the floor. It had been as easy as picking straws. Frodo and Sam on the other hand, would pose a big problem for the King. As he approached the room, he could here the two Hobbit voices already at it.

"Mr. Frodo, I'm not goin' to let you sleep on the floor!"

"Samwise Gamgee, you are indeed. I want to. It's certainly better than..."

"Anything I can help you with?" Aragorn asked, poking his head in the door. The two Hobbits looked at him with surprise, and then each begged with their eyes for him to take their side.

"Mr. Frodo wants to sleep on the floor."

"Sam won't let me sleep on the floor and he won't sleep on the bed. But we both agree that *one* of us must sleep on the bed."

"Mr. Frodo, it's not good for..."

"Don't you say, 'It's not good for your health'. I'm fine! I am tired of being treated like an invalid wherever I go. Please, Sam, let me keep some dignity and allow me to sleep on the floor."

"Mr. Frodo, I won't have it. You sleepin' on the floor and all. I want you to be as comfortable as possible."

"Sam?"

"Yes?"

"Would you run to the kitchen to get me a glass of water. I'm very thirsty." Sam sighed. His master was up to something, he was sure. But he could also tell that Frodo was really thirsty. He had been very thirsty since they came back from the Quest, and he just couldn't deny Frodo a glass of water. Aragorn watched in abutment as the two companions locked eyes before Sam trooped out to the kitchen. Frodo hurriedly dragged a chair over to the chest of drawers. He got down all the spare blankets he could find and made a hasty, but very comfortable, pallet on the floor. He sat down only a moment before Sam came back into the room. Frodo flashed his friend an innocent grin and said,

"See, Sam, I'll be much more comfortable on the floor."

"Mr. Frodo, you won't either! Thank you for making me such a comfortable pallet, though." Frodo sighed as he took and the water and drained the glass.

"Well," he said when he had finished the water, "I've only made it big enough for one Hobbit."

"Mr. Frodo, this is nonsense. I won't be able to sleep well knowin' you're on the floor."

"Alright, Sam. I'm going to put this glass away, and if when I come back, I find you've done something bad, you will be sorry." Frodo walked backwards towards the door, keeping his eyes on Sam the whole way. "Please keep an eye on him, Lord Aragorn, and make sure he doesn't do anything." Aragorn nodded. He knew these two well enough to know that they were only half teasing. He chuckled to himself. Frodo was one of the most stubborn Hobbits he knew, but Sam could sometimes out stubborn him.

When Frodo returned, he found Sam sitting tailor fashion on the pallet. Without a word, the dark headed Hobbit marched right over and attempted to pick up Sam. Sam gave a shout of surprise and stood on his own. Frodo tackled his friend onto the bed and held him there.

"Mr. Frodo! What are you doing? This...this..." Frodo laughed triumphantly.

"I won't let you go, Samwise Gamgee, until you give me your word you will sleep in this bed and I will sleep on this floor."

Sam looked at Frodo, and could tell that his will was set. He also saw that he was immensely enjoying this escapade, so he relented.

"Well, Lord Aragorn," Frodo stated, a triumphant smile on his face, "You may as well go to bed now. We settled our conflict. But it's a good thing you were here, otherwise, Sam may have tried something dangerous." Frodo added with a lopsided grin.

Elessar laughed at this. He couldn't see the young gardener so much as hurting a fly, much less his dear Master Frodo.

"Goodnight, you two."

"Goodnight, sir."

"Goodnight, King Aragorn."

Both Frodo and Sam went to bed with a smile on his lips.

The End

copyright 2006 Frodo BagginsA/N: Post-Quest ficlet inspired by real life events!! Hannon le, Queen Galadriel for the idea of posting this story!! :)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List