Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Miscellaneous Writings of Frodo Baggins  by Frodo Baggins

A/N: This is a story that was concieved while mowing the lawn. Don't ask. Don't all writers have...strange ways to gain insperation? I thought so. :) This is sort of a movie fill in. I checked for this scene in the book, but alas, I could not find it. This explores the question, "Why did Pippin think of the song he did, and what was he thinking when he sang it?" As to what song and when, you'll have to read that for yourself. ;)

 

"Master Hobbit, can you sing?" Denethor asked, non too kindly nor enthusiastically.

"Well, I...well, yes, fairly well in the Shire, but..."

"But what?"

"I don't have any songs fitting for the Halls of Men, nor for these dark hours."

"Master Peregrine," Denethor growled, "You are now in the service of the Steward of Gondor. I am that Steward, and I command you to sing!"

Pippin closed his eyes, desperately groping his memory for a song that would suit. His mind wandered back in time, back to a stormy night in Bag End...

                                                     *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Frodo?"

"Hmmm," came the sleepy reply.

"I miss Mum and Da."

Silence. Had Frodo heard him, or fallen back to sleep? Pippin's question was answered when the form next to Pippin turned to face him. Frodo turned Pippin's body so that his back was against Frodo's stomach. Frodo draped his arm protectively over Pippin's small figure. The rain began to pound on Frodo's round window.

"Would you like me to sing, Pip?"

"Uh-huh."

Frodo began. Pippin loved Frodo's voice. It was soothing and low and sad. When Frodo sang (which wasn't very often, and usually only at night to his young cousins), he sang with a slight Buckland lilt. Pippin thought it was beautiful.

*~*~*~*~*

Pippin's voice now raised in the song that Frodo had sung to him that night and many nights afterward. It sounded different when Pippin sang it, having a higher voice and having that unmistakable Tookish accent. But Pippin would forever remember it as Frodo sang it. Indeed, he sang it now in memory of Frodo. He closed his eyes. Voices from the past interwove the words to the song as his voice filled the Hall of Denethor.

"Home is behind

"Frodo?"

The world ahead

"Yes, Pip?"

And there are many paths to tread

"That's a sad song."

Through shadow

"Yes, it is."

To the edge of night

"Why do you sing it?"

Until the stars are all alight

"Pippin! You *can't* go!"

Mist and Shadow

"I won't stay behind!"

Cloud and shade

"You don't know what pursues me! I can't let you!"

All shall fade

"That will never change the fact that I love you and can't let you go alone."

All shall fade,"*

"Oh, Pip."

Pippin opened his teary eyes and gazed out the eastern window. Towards the Shadow. Towards Frodo. He was out there, Pippin knew. But somehow, Pippin could feel him here, in the room. He could picture Frodo standing by his side, smiling that smile of his that said, "I love you," better than any words. But Pippin knew Frodo would vanish if Pippin turned to look at him. All he wanted was to go back in time. Back before the Ring had come. Back to that night when Frodo had sung him to sleep for the first time. He was always safe in his cousin's arm, always loved when Frodo sang to him; Frodo didn't sing to anybody. Only those closest to him. He smiled slightly. 'Come home to me, Frodo. Please. Make it home.'

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006

____________________________________________________________________________________

*The Return of the King soundtrack, by Howard Shore...I think. Performed by Billy Boyd.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List