Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Miscellaneous Writings of Frodo Baggins  by Frodo Baggins

A/N: THis is the product of me cleaning on a Saturday, perhaps a bit of medicine because I haven't been feeling well, and, well....an author's brain! :) Anyone who's an author knows what I mean: inspiration can hit at the oddest times. This is a few moments in Frodo's thoughts after his incident with the Black Riders at the Ford. Fellowship of the Ring, bookverse, as usual. :) I apologise for such a lengthy author's note and for the possible cliche. -FB

Frodo was floating. Floating in pain, grief, and a myriad of random memories, voices, sounds and feelings racing through his heart. The voices were what confused him most. He heard his mother, father, sometimes Gandalf; he heard Pippin as a child, and Pippin in later years. There was Merry's voice. And Sam's. But all those nice voices had only been in his head for a few moments. They were quickly crowded out by the Evil Voices. Rather, they sounded promising, but something told Frodo they were very evil. And he now bent all of his energy on trying to ignore them and find his way back. Back where, Frodo didn't know. He just knew he had to go. And then the voices told him he was supposed to come to them. Rest, they promised him, rest and peace and relief. "We know you're afflicted, and you will find no peace but through us. We understand your torment." they said. Frodo's will wavered. They understood? And the promise of peace...
"Mr. Frodo, I don't know if you can hear me."
"Sam? Sam, oh Sam! I'm very confused. Where are you?" Relief flooded Frodo's being.
"I'm here, Mr. Frodo. Won't you come back? Your cousins are nearly beside themselves with worry, if you know what I mean. Especially Mr. Pippin. He's taken it real hard. Mr. Merry's being right brave, though I can tell he's worried too. And I'm worried for you, Mr. Frodo. Mr. Strider says you've got to fight to come back. So keep fighting."
"Sam, I want to..." Frodo's thought paused. He sensed Sam had left. But before he could react, another voice came to him. This voice was more commanding, like the Evil Voices, but this one was kind. All the same, Frodo didn't trust it.
"Frodo Baggins." It said.
"Who are you? Where's Sam?"
"Sam is nearby. You need not worry."
"Is he alright?"
"Yes. I want you to listen to me."
"Why?" Frodo interrupted. "Who are you?"
"I am Lord Elrond, and I need you to return to the Light. Your task is not done. Your cousins need you. The world will need you before the end."
"The world? How do you know?"
"I am Elrond, Halfelven, Lord of the Last Homely House. Iluvatar told me that you must return."
"But...they promised I could have peace....I want peace. If I return with you, can you promise me that I will be relieved?"
"Nothing can be promised, Frodo. But I can tell you that if you follow the other voices, you will find only death and destruction."
Frodo sighed. "All right. I shall try to fight them. They're very strong."
"I know."
"And convincing."
"Yes. They are, but you can fight it. You must fight it."
"What would happen if I were to not follow you or the other voices and just...let go? I thought I would go to the Presence. That sounds more promising than going back."
The voice sighed. "You hang between two..." the voice faded. Frodo felt a surge of panic. The voice had somehow been comforting. Why was he slipping and falling? Darkness took him and he knew no more. For a while.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Elrond stood and sighed.
"What's wrong?" Sam asked, worried. "Did you speak to Mr. Frodo?"
"I did. He slipped to far into oblivion for me to communicate to him." The Elf Lord considered the small form before him. A rare, small smile teased the corners of his mouth.
"What is it?" Sam asked.
"Your friend is quite stubborn."
Sam couldn't help but smile. "That's Mr. Frodo."

____________________________________________________________________________________
The End

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2007





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List