Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Miscellaneous Writings of Frodo Baggins  by Frodo Baggins

A/N: This is a bit AU. It’s book cannon only because it’s not movie verse. The story takes place soon after the newly formed Fellowship set forth from Rivendell. This is the result of the thought, "Why did Frodo never marry before the Quest?" This is the answer to the question.

 

Till death do us part

The moonlight shone down on the Fellowship. It was midnight, and Aragorn had the watch. He sat with his back against a large rock facing outwards. He was not aware that Frodo was standing behind him until the Ringbearer cleared his throat.

"Frodo! You frightened me. ‘Tis not your watch for another half hour."

"I know. But I can’t seem to sleep. So if I’m not sleeping, I may as well take over for you. You have hardly gotten any rest at all."

Aragorn smiled slightly. "I was not going to wake you, for I cannot sleep either."

"Then may I sit with you for the remaining time of your watch?"

"You may."

Frodo sat next to the Ranger. The sat in companionable silence for a while. Aragorn gently slipped the Evenstar over his head and fingered the jewel. It glistened in the moonlight.

"You love her." Frodo stated; this was not a question.

"Who?" Aragorn asked absently.

"The Lady Arwen Undomiel. She is very beautiful. I never knew that such beauty existed. In Middle Earth, anyway."

"I do love her. And she loves me." Aragorn cast a sidelong glance at Frodo. He asked a question that he had been curious about, but had never had the chance (or desire) to ask it. Frodo had always seemed so close about personal matters. "Have...have you ever loved, Frodo?"

The Hobbit sat silent for a moment, staring at the moon-bathed wilderness. Finally he sighed and said,

"Her name was Lily. Lily Brandybuck. A more beautiful lass I had never seen. She had blue eyes and brown hair. Of course, that is not what I loved in her. She was different from all the other Hobbits. She loved to read and to write poetry and stories. Lily was also the only lass (or lad, for that matter) who actually enjoyed playing my imaginary games. She...she was so sweet. She was easy in nature and quick to laugh. Lily was different because she wasn’t silly like the other lasses; she could think for herself and she didn’t fuss and squeal and worry for hours on end.

"I first met her in Buckland two years before I went to live with Bilbo. I thought then that it was just an infatuation. I only saw her once or twice a year, and yet still I thought of her always. I knew that I was in love. And I said to myself, ‘If ever I marry, Lily Brandybuck will be the lass.’ But I suppose it was not meant to be.

"At the age of twenty nine, I finally gathered enough courage to ask her father if we could be promised. But when I got to Buckland, no more Lily."

"What happened to her?"

"She...the lung sickness swept through Buckland. It only took two lives. One of them was my Lily.

"I have never met another lass quite like Lily. I think I shan’t ever marry now. I still think of her often." and then as if to himself, Frodo whispered, "I never got to tell her how much I loved her." Frodo was silent for a moment. The moonlight highlighted the pain in his face. He gave a small sigh and then said, "I have not told anyone that I was ever in love with anyone except for Bilbo, Sam,  Lily's father, of course, and now you.

"Well, your watch is over now. You should really at least try to rest. I won't be sleeping for a long time. Goodnight, Aragorn."

"Goodnight, Frodo. And...I’m sorry about Lily." Aragorn truly was sorry. This Hobbit had evidently been through much heartache in his young life. The Ranger did not wait for an answer and lay down. Sure enough, he soon fell asleep, leaving Frodo to keep watch alone by the moonlight.

The End

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List