Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pride Goes Before a Fall...Or a Farmer's Dogs  by Elanor Silmariën

"Your Uncle Bilbo is arriving late Thursday afternoon, Frodo," Esmeralda informed her nephew that evening at dinner. "He says he has something important to discuss with you."

Frodo's head shot up. Could it finally be the day Bilbo had sworn would come? He couldn't tell from his aunt's expression.

"Do try to behave yourself, dear," she admonished the lad.

"Fro, you're turning red!" Merry said with a giggle.

Frodo ate the rest of his meal in silence, thinking. He had promised Gen and Brend they would do it Friday. If Bilbo truly wanted him, he's be willing to put up with a little mischief before hand. There wasn't a need for mischief in Hobbiton. Buckland was different.

Thursday came around quickly. Bilbo arrived on foot, carrying a walking stick, a book, and a pack that looked rather heavy.

"Let me take your pack, Uncle!" Frodo said, helping the elder hobbit take off his coat, and ushering him into the hallway.

Once they were all settled, Bilbo wrapped Frodo in a big hug and said, "I missed you, Frodo! How've you been?"

"Quite well, Uncle. And you?" Frodo led his Uncle to the guest bedroom, where he would stay for the weekend.

"Quite good, quite good!" Bilbo exclaimed. "Esmeralda tells me you've gotten in a bit of mischief lately?" Frodo didn't miss the good natured gleam in Bilbo's eye, and knew that he understood completely.

"Oh, it's nothing, really. My friends and I can't resist good mushrooms!" he said with a smile.

"Indeed!" Bilbo put his book down on the side table, and lay his pack on the bed. "Now, as to why I am here. I'm sure you've already guessed it, but don't get too excited," Bilbo began. "I must talk to your cousins, then talk to you. We have to do this properly."

"Yes, Uncle," Frodo responded, giving his uncle a completely serious look.

"Now, do you have any tea or cake around here? I'm starved!"

* * *

"I heard your Uncle Bilbo's here," Gen said, watching as Frodo hurried to meet them behind the Hall late the next night.

"Yes. He's come to adopt me," Frodo replied, smiling.

"So, you're leaving us?" Brend said, looking hurt.

"Don't give me that look. You already knew it," Frodo retorted, grinning at the sarcastic look on his friend's face.

"When?" Gen asked.

"Not sure," Frodo answered. "Now, if we stand here gawking all night, nothing is going to get done. Let's go!"

* * *

They didn't know what went wrong that night, and never found out. Before they knew what was happening, three dogs dashed after them, one catching Gen in the calf and only letting go when it recieved a kick square in the eye from Brend.

The other two had knocked Frodo to the ground and started sniffing at his pockets, where he'd stuffed some mushrooms that wouldn't fit in the small bag they'd brought. He lay flat and stayed still, hoping they wouldn't bite him. But he was not prepared for what happened next.

Farmer Maggot walked up, and said, "Caught you this time!" and began to beat him with a pony crop. The pain in his shoulders was excruciating, as Farmer Maggot was not a weak hobbit. Frodo began to cry in pain and fear, almost afraid for his life!

Then when he thought he could bear no more, Maggot grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, and shook him hard. Then he whistled his dogs over.

*"See lads," he said. "Next time this young varmint sets foot on my land, you can eat him. Now, see him off!"*

He shoved Frodo hard, and he fled off towards the ferry, the three wolvish-looking dogs behind him.

When he got to the ferry, Gen and Brend were waiting for him, and he collapsed by them as Brend pushed the ferry away from the bank of the river.

"Are you all right, Frodo?" Brend asked, noticing that his shirt was torn and his back was covered in welts.

"Am I alive?" he responded, blinking.

Brend nodded. "Barely. Maybe Gen was right. It wasn't such a bright idea after all."

Gen was still holding Brend's pocket handkerchief to his leg. "You suppose?" he asked sarcastically.

Frodo moaned. "Stop arguing. This is probably my fault. I talked you into raids and such."

"You're too hard on yourself, Frodo," Brend said. "We all made mistakes. Now let's fix them before anyone founds out."

* * *

Brend expertly bandaged Gen's leg, but didn't have any idea how to hide it.

"Say you tripped while going for water, and cut it open on the edge of a door," he suggested.

Frodo and Brend saw him to his apartment, making sure he could walk all right. Then Brend turned to Frodo. "Here, take my shirt to cover those welts. You're good at keeping your face expressionless. Pretend you're fine, and they'll believe it!"

"Are you sure?" Frodo questioned.

"Course, now go!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List