Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pride Goes Before a Fall...Or a Farmer's Dogs  by Elanor Silmariën

Even with his perfectly schooled expressions and attempts to hide his pain, Bilbo knew something was wrong with Frodo. But he would let the lad tell him in his own time.

Saradoc and Esmeralda agreed for Frodo to go with Bilbo, though Esme wasn't too happy about it. They knew it was what Frodo wanted. They had seen the expression of immence joy and relief on his face when Bilbo told him they'd agreed. They had only seen him that happy when Merry was born and he'd held his own cousin for the very first time. He didn't smile like that much anymore.

So Frodo's things were packed that following Sunday, and Frodo had to break the news to little Merry. As he told the lad that he was leaving, the sad look on his cousin's face almost made Frodo consider staying.

"I'm going to live with Uncle Bilbo," he said. "But I'll be back for Yule, and I'll come visit all the time."

"You promise you'll come back?" Merry asked. "You wouldn't leave me, would you?"

"I could never leave you, Merry," Frodo replied, smiling at the boy.

"You promise?" Merry demanded, looking up at Frodo with big brown eyes.

Frodo nodded. "I promise, Merry-lad." He pulled Merry into his arms when he saw a tear on Merry's face. "Don't you worry, I'll be back."

* * *

"Are you sure you want to go, lad?" Esmeralda asked, watching Frodo's face carefully as he stepped out the door, preparing to leave. He'd never looked so happy in his life.

"Of course! It's what I've wanted ever since it happened," he replied. "It's for the best, don't you think?"

Esme smiled at him, tears in her eyes. "Yes, it is." She pulled him into a hug. "You will always be welcome here, Frodo, love," she told him.

"Thank you, Aunt Esme. I love you," Frodo said, returning her embrace. Then he looked down at the little hobbit-lad holding onto his leg tightly. He bent over and released himself from Merry's grip, then lifted him into his arms. "Now, Merry-lad, I'm going with Uncle Bilbo. But I'll be back. I promised, remember? I'll come visit all the time."

Merry nodded, rubbing his eyes, already red from crying. "Promise me you'll come swimming with me next summer, then. Or else I won't let you go," he said, wrapping his arms around Frodo's neck.

Frodo looked at his aunt helplessly. She only smiled and nodded, so he said, "All right, Merry. I'll come swim with you, I promise." He kissed the boy's forehead, then placed him in his mother's arms.

Saradoc approached, his hands dirty from helping Bilbo load the wagon he was taking back to Bag End. "Well, goodbye, dear cousin," he said, pulling Frodo into a hug. "I'll miss you, Frodo."

"I'll miss you as well, Uncle," Frodo replied. Sara released him and Frodo turned and followed Bilbo to the cart. Then they were off, leaving life in Brandy Hall forever.

* * *

The wagon ride was long and jolty, and by the time they reached Bag End two days later, Frodo's back ached miserably. But he was too excited to notice. He was home! The one place that had felt like home to him after his parents death.

He took a deep breath and looked around to seeif anything had changed in the year since he had last been there. Nothing much had. The flowers were blooming beautifully, there were birds everywhere, and the door had recently gotten a brand new coat of green pant.

The gardener, Frodo couldn't remember his right name, was trimming a hedge in a part of the garden, and a lad of about nine stood beside him.

When the pony stopped at the gate, the lad looked up and his big brown eyes met Frodo's blue ones, and their gaze held for a moment, before the lad blushed and looked down again.

Frodo grabbed his uncle's arm. "Who is that boy, Uncle?" he asked.

"Who, him? Samwise Gamgee. The kindest little lad you'll ever meet. My advice, Frodo, don't let him help you with too much, or he'll think it's his job to look out for you," Bilbo said with a smile and a laugh. "Oh, I'm sure you'll be good friends before the summer's over!"

Frodo smiled. He'd be glad to have another young lad around so he didn't miss Merry so much.

Bilbo helped Frodo haul all of his things into one of the bedrooms that was to be his very own, then left him to organize them, and get settled.

Out in the hall he heard a voice say, "Mr. Bilbo, my Da sent me to see if you needed any help."

"No thank you, Samwise. But I tell you what, once Frodo's all settled, why don't you come back and I'll introduce you, and tell you a story about Elves?"

"Really?" Frodo could hear the excitement in the boy's voice.

"Yes, really. Come in about half an hour," Bilbo said, and Frodo heard a quick, "Thank you, Mr. Bilbo, sir!" and feet pattering on the wooden floors of Bag End.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List