Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Randomness  by Elanor Silmariën

*Story Time in Rivendell 2*

They sky was clear and it was getting warmer out, but this did not make any difference to the five year old child sitting in bed as the sun set. He gripped his left arm that was wrapped in gauze and a brace his foster-brother Elladan had made. Their Adar would be there shortly, and Estel would have to explain what had happened, and event he didn't look forward to.

Elladan and Elrohir had left a few moments earlier to inform his naneth that the injury was not mortal, only a clean break in his lower arm that would heal soon.

Now Estel was sitting alone, silent and still, trying not to cry, though his arm pained him severely. he bit back the tears threatening to break loose.

Just then the curtain was pushed back and Elrond stepped into his room. "Does it hurt much, Estel?" he asked, kneeling by the child's bedside.

The child nodded. Somehow his Adar seemed to know everything, but just then Estel didn't have the energy to dwell on that strange fact.

"And you will learn to obey Elladan when he tells you something important like that?" Elrond asked.

Estel nodded sheepishly. "Yes, Adar," he said. "I s'pose horses don't like to be kicked after all."

"No they don't, dearest. But that is all right. We learn from our mistakes." The Elf lord sat on the edge of the bed and enveloped the boy's small form in his arms. "Do we not?"

Estel nodded. "Yes, Adar," he said. "I am sorry. And I apologised to Elladan. Adar, can you make it not hurt so bad?"

Elrond smiled at the child, and said, "Perhaps." He bent over, kissed the brace on Estel's arm, and began to sing softly as he rocked the boy in his arms.

A few moments later Elrond heard Estel's tiny, sleepy voice. "That feels better. Thank you, Adar." Then the child fell silent.

Elrond heard his breathing even out, but tonight he did not leave. He sat holding the child for a long while, until Estel's mother entered the room.

"Is he hurt badly?" she asked, looking on her son with concern.

"Not anything we can't handle," Elrond replied. "He's sleeping peacefully now, Gilraen." The Elf lord rose carefully and lay the child down on his bed. Then he turned to Gilraen. "He will feel better come morning. Now we must let him rest."

Gilraen bent down to kiss her son's forehead, then followed Elrond out of the room.

The End





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List